mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New Bar light, help me decide!

I trying to decide on a higher output handlebar light. I will be running a Bontrager ion 700 usb on my helmet. The Rides will be used on single track rides year round (so fat tire snow riding now) and maybe a relay 24 hour race this summer. I think I have it narrowed down to the 2 lights below but I'm open to suggestions.

Xeccon Sogn700 Wireless Control 2800 LM LED MTB Bike Light, 12.6V SAMSUNG Battery, METAL Handlebar Mount BSS®:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors
    has 6 Cree XP-G2 leds
    6-cell/5200mAh Samsung battery pack
    2.5 hours at 100% brightness
    $230
    Or

MAGICSHINE
    has 4 CREE XM-L2 leds
    8-cell/7.4v 8800mAh
    1.6 hours at 100% brightness
    $245

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ghostchili; 12-06-2014 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Fixed the Amazon link for you

Nice thing about AMZN is you can get a 30day free trial of Amazon Prime.

Perfect for the Holidays and then cancel after NYears..

Quote Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post
    I trying to decide on a higher output handlebar light. I will be running a Bontrager ion 700 usb on my helmet. The Rides will be used on single track rides year round (so fat tire snow riding now) and maybe a relay 24 hour race this summer. I think I have it narrowed down to the 2 lights below but I'm open to suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/Sogn700-Wirele...rds=Xeccon+bss
    has 6 Cree XP-G2 leds
    6-cell/5200mAh Samsung battery pack
    2.5 hours at 100% brightness
    $230
    Or

MAGICSHINE
    has 4 CREE XM-L2 leds
    8-cell/7.4v 8800mAh
    1.6 hours at 100% brightness
    $245

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks I fixed the link. You mean there are people that don't have Amazon Prime?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am in the same boat as you on trying to decide on a bar light so I am not sure how much help I will be. I really think I would stay away from the Magicshine. The light and the battery look very big and unrefined. It also does not use the same connectors as other Magicshine lights. If you need to source another battery it may be difficult and expensive.

The only thing I do not like about the Xeccon is that a 5200 mAh battery seems small for a 2800 lumen light. That is the same size battery that came with my Spiker 1211, which is meant to be a small helmet light. You can buy a replacement battery at mtbrevolution.com but the selection imported to the U.S. is limited right now. When going through the beam pattern charts on Action LEDs website I noticed that they have posted beam patterns for several Xeccon lights here recently. This makes me wonder if they intend to carry Xeccon here soon. This would greatly help in sourcing parts.

They did not have the Xeccon 700 beam pattern but they did have the 900. The Xeccon lights seem to have a very strong flood which I like for the bars. I am also starting to think that I may not need 2000+ lumens. I am starting to consider something with a good flood and moderate lumens like a gemini Olympia or Sogn 900. Since you have a solid helmet lamp you could probably do the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Xeccon MagicShine - Brightstonesports Bike Light, Diving Flashlight and more.... is the seller on amazon. If you buy it directly from them the price is $220. If you use the code Holiday2014 you get 5% off plus $0.95 shipping. That should be about $210 shipped.

Just Ride !
    The Olympia and Duo are very nice !! Good mix of flood and throw ..

Look at that light beam comparison at Action-Led
    The Olympia hands down wins vs the Sogin 900.
    To me if I were considering a Sogin 900 and then saw that beam comparison , that would be a deal breaker .
    Last edited by C.M.S; 12-06-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The night rider pro 2200 looks interesting. $340 though

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisonabike View Post
    I am in the same boat as you on trying to decide on a bar light so I am not sure how much help I will be. I really think I would stay away from the Magicshine. The light and the battery look very big and unrefined. It also does not use the same connectors as other Magicshine lights. If you need to source another battery it may be difficult and expensive.

The only thing I do not like about the Xeccon is that a 5200 mAh battery seems small for a 2800 lumen light. That is the same size battery that came with my Spiker 1211, which is meant to be a small helmet light. You can buy a replacement battery at mtbrevolution.com but the selection imported to the U.S. is limited right now. When going through the beam pattern charts on Action LEDs website I noticed that they have posted beam patterns for several Xeccon lights here recently. This makes me wonder if they intend to carry Xeccon here soon. This would greatly help in sourcing parts.

They did not have the Xeccon 700 beam pattern but they did have the 900. The Xeccon lights seem to have a very strong flood which I like for the bars. I am also starting to think that I may not need 2000+ lumens. I am starting to consider something with a good flood and moderate lumens like a gemini Olympia or Sogn 900. Since you have a solid helmet lamp you could probably do the same.
    I may not need the 2000+ lumens but I can always step down. Lots of rock gardens and roots where I ride so I figured more is better😉

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Actually, if you use the "Save15" code at Arts Cyclery you can get the Enduro 3600 for $327. It weighs a ton but 3600 lumens for that price is tough to turn down.

Niterider Pro 3600 Enduro LED Light

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Actually, if you use the "Save15" code at Arts Cyclery you can get the Enduro 3600 for $327. It weighs a ton but 3600 lumens for that price is tough to turn down.

Thanks for the link I'll be pulling the trigger on something.

mtbr member
    I....The only thing I do not like about the Xeccon is that a 5200 mAh battery seems small for a 2800 lumen light. That is the same size battery that came with my Spiker 1211, which is meant to be a small helmet light. You can buy a replacement battery at mtbrevolution.com but the selection imported to the U.S. is limited right now. When going through the beam pattern charts on Action LEDs website I noticed that they have posted beam patterns for several Xeccon lights here recently. This makes me wonder if they intend to carry Xeccon here soon. This would greatly help in sourcing parts.

You didn't read all the specs. The battery is a Samsung 6-cell "12.6 volt" ( 11.1 volt nominal ) battery. In such a configuration Ah rating is not always indicative of the run time. In short the higher voltage rating aids in prolonging the run time. To understand this better you do the conversion to "watt hrs." which should then help to make more sense in relation to run time. Anyway, listed run time is over two hours which is not bad for a lamp with 6 emitters.

Now about those emitters; Seems there is a discrepancy in the ad. The top of the ad indicates the lamps uses XM-L2 emitters while in the product description it lists the emitters as "XT-E". That said the seller needs to clarify what the lamp is using. If the output is indeed "2700" lumen , that should be one very bright lamp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    You didn't read all the specs. The battery is a Samsung 6-cell "12.6 volt" ( 11.1 volt nominal ) battery. In such a configuration Ah rating is not always indicative of the run time. In short the higher voltage rating aids in prolonging the run time. To understand this better you do the conversion to "watt hrs." which should then help to make more sense in relation to run time. Anyway, listed run time is over two hours which is not bad for a lamp with 6 emitters.

Now about those emitters; Seems there is a discrepancy in the ad. The top of the ad indicates the lamps uses XM-L2 emitters while in the product description it lists the emitters as "XT-E". That said the seller needs to clarify what the lamp is using. If the output is indeed "2700" lumen , that should be one very bright lamp.
    Catman, Im sure this has been covered a thousand times but how bad are the lights like
    http://www.amazon.com/SecurityIng®-W...rds=Bike+light
    I realize the lumen ratings are off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post

I am assuming then it cannot be used with other Xeccon batteries that run at 7.4V.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

That's a great price and seems like the 2015 model. Weight doesn't bother me as much as not seeing where I'm going 👍

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

It says it's not available for online delivery.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostchili View Post
    I bought this model SecurityIng last week. Supposed to be delivered the 11th. I'll report back after I try it out.

mtbr member
    I am assuming then it cannot be used with other Xeccon batteries that run at 7.4V.
    That is correct.

I like turtles
    The Gemini Duo is a great bar light.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro are #@$%

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Have you looked at the Gloworm X2 or XS as a bar light? I like the Niterider 2200 from the photos. I saw it for $250 at one point.

Some say with the Trail LED DS you don't need a bar and headlight. Take a look at that option.
    Last edited by NightOWL; 12-09-2014 at 05:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    It says it's not available for online delivery.

Chrisonabike thanks for the heads up on the deal. And thanks to Catman and everyone else for the advice. I ended up going overkill with the Nightrider Pro 3600 Enduro. For $327 from Arts Cyclery free 2 day shipping and no tax I couldn't pass it up!