Diagnosed with MTB.

New Awesome Tail Light launching in July

No.. sadly, we not the ones launching a new tail light but we came across this kickstarter funded project and it deserves honorable mention and massive credibility.

It's called the BlinkSteady and Wired Magazine wrote an article about it: If Apple Designed a Bike Light, It Would Look Like This | Wired Design | Wired.com

Watch the video at the end - it is truly a great idea that seems very well executed. We at Gemini Lights applaud new and innovative bike light designs.

Feel free to share your opinions..

mtbr member
    Two half watt LEDs running for 200 hrs off 2 AAAs.

Cateye beat them to the auto on/off with light and motion sensors.

They look good and even at 95$ will sell well (to hipsters).

ps
    They win the Most-overexposed-beamshot-photo prize
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

Diagnosed with MTB.
    Yes, it's very pretty. I guess that makes us hipsters too?

We like the convenience it provides for commuters, as it's a one time installation and you just forget about it. You can leave it on your bike securely, not having to detach it and take it with you. Also, the preference of blink or steady would most likely be predetermined by the user. Do you think it's necessary to change modes all the time?

Ideally we would like lithium ion rechargeables. And what are your opinions on USB charging?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So if they turn on automatically when its dark enough, what happens when a car headlight or another bike light shines on it. And, when you stop at traffic lights, does it also turn off?

I assume they have thought of this, but......

mtbr member
    ....at first glance this all looks nice but...
    when you want to replace or recharge the batteries you have to lake off the seat post...
    I'll also assume there is no way to aim it....the motion activated sensor is nice as long as it has a kill switch but forget the light sensor, what tb123 said makes sense.

whs
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Lights View Post
    No.. sadly, we not the ones launching a new tail light but we came across this kickstarter funded project and it deserves honorable mention and massive credibility.

It's called the BlinkSteady and Wired Magazine wrote an article about it: If Apple Designed a Bike Light, It Would Look Like This | Wired Design | Wired.com

Watch the video at the end - it is truly a great idea that seems very well executed. We at Gemini Lights applaud new and innovative bike light designs.

Feel free to share your opinions..
    Ok, here's my opinion which is also a fact: This is yet another crap taillamp with no optics and a miniscule lit area which means estimating distance and seeing that a real object is there, is very hard (despite the 2 lights at a distance), and because of the point sources of light, at closer distances that will be impossible because it will almost certainly get too bright.

And for collimated light (or almost so, so a very tight beam), which is necessary for long range visibility (without getting way too bright at close distance as with standard cone-shaped beams): you can completely forget about that without an optic.

These people as almost everyone out there don't understand anything about the aspects important in making a taillamp well visible, how that changes according to distance, and that being annoyingly bright, and thus using point sources without proper optics (which gives cones of light), is bad.

There are just 2 fairly good taillamps out there at the moment, though they are by no means perfect as for that the entire taillamp needs to be lit up to get the best possible close range visibility. These are the Philips Lumiring and the B&M Toplight Line plus.

See:
    Bicycle lighting, in particular LED headlamps (headlights) with cutoff, and (hub) dynamos

mtbr member
    looks like form over function. To the comments above, I'd add:

- no side visibility
    - I want on-and-flashing for attention grabbing AND distance gauging
    - most cyclists don't give a monkeys about what a light looks like, they just want something reliable to be seen by

I think this would look perfect on a narrow barred retro stainless fixie though

As for USB charging - it rocks! All commuter lights should be USB chargeable and I'm busy converting mine to USB charging.

Diagnosed with MTB.
    Lol, it's interesting to put another light through the "gauntlet". Like a sacrificial lamb to the light gods... and much less hurt when reading the criticism.

IMO, I think this light would still do well. We MTBR forum members live and breathe the highest of standards. This will eventually lead to the innovation of lights but, for the everyday joe that commutes to work or to their nearest grocery store, they will not care about collimated lights or different light programs but just be happy that they bought a tail light in the first place. Would anyone agree?

Having said that, why don't I propose that you guys get together (mattthemuppet, pethelman, znomit, scar etc..) and design the most awesome god-send of a tail light and have kickstarter fund the project? You guys would surely come up with something better than they did.
    Last edited by Gemini Lights; 06-22-2012 at 03:09 PM.

mtbr member
    I think that highlights the problem with this light - we have the highest of standards, yet find this light lacking, yet someone who just wants a light to ride to work with will never consider paying $100 for one.

As for the most awesome tail light ever, I've already made one and nearly finished remaking On and flashing (~70 to ~200lm), awesome side visibility, built in battery and USB charging, looks like crap and I'll hopefully never make another one!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You're right, it probably will do well. There are a lot of crappy poorly designed nice looking lights out there that also "do well" from a sales perspective, and i guess from a business point of view, thats probably the most important facit of its design......

Diagnosed with MTB.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    I think that highlights the problem with this light - we have the highest of standards, yet find this light lacking, yet someone who just wants a light to ride to work with will never consider paying $100 for one.

As for the most awesome tail light ever, I've already made one and nearly finished remaking On and flashing (~70 to ~200lm), awesome side visibility, built in battery and USB charging, looks like crap and I'll hopefully never make another one!
    Very true. Please share your creation when you're done.. we would all love to see it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tb123 View Post
    You're right, it probably will do well. ....
    Oh,.I don't know about that. I sure they will sell if the price isn't too steep but like znomit indicated, this is the type of product made for people who are more into "designer" rather than "function".

If you go to the Blink-Steady website you see that they also sell locks for your seat post and such. This precludes that they are working with the mind set that the average person wants to be able to leave their bike locked up outside in the open without someone picking off the goodies. Hence the seat post locks.

I don't know about anyone else but if I own a bike that is either middle or high-end I'll be damn if I leave it ( lock or no lock ) out of my sight for more than a couple minutes. When I do road tours I'll take a small cable and lock to use to prevent "casual thief" while I go into the store to get a quick bite or a drink. Other than that I would never just leave a bike outside ( locked ) if I wasn't going to be around ( unless of course it was a beater ).

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Oh,.I don't know about that. I sure they will sell if the price isn't too steep but like znomit indicated, this is the type of product made for people who are more into "designer" rather than "function".).
    yep, that was my point

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Lights View Post
    Very true. Please share your creation when you're done.. we would all love to see it.
    will do, hopefully I'll get the housing done tonight. It's not going to look pretty though

mtbr member
    here you go. Told you it wouldn't be pretty, but it's perfect for me!