Thread: new AMOEBA user

mtbr member

new AMOEBA user

Had the light for few wks until today (had to serve my forks & rear shocks,,,, & a bad flu !!), and finally got a chance for a real night ride ( or i should say early morning ride).

Perfect. 600lumens are enough, lighweight and neat looks. I leave all the good comments/reviews posted by others in the forum, but two things I wanted to share.

1. Light weight, both light/battery placed on the helmet.
    I have not seen so many pictures of the actual set-ups, so I will post mine. My helmet (GIRO XEN) has bigger shell than the one on Jay`s website, but I think you can pretty much figure out how they would fit and their size for your reference. Can ofcourse feel the weight above, but minor issue. I don:t really notice it. Light and battery both stays well even riding on the rough terrain. Never had to fix/re-tighten the velcro during the ride.

2. Customer service.
    I know Jay works full time, have family, builds light on his own during the wkends, and he gives quick responses to my emails. There was a issue (which I `thought` I had one) at first with the light and contacted him over email. He replied overnight & he had offered me a free check/fix with only a one way shipping cost to Colorado. ( He knows where I live.... Japan.) The issue was only my misunderstanding so never shipped it back, but I was very satisfied with Jay:s service, much trust worthy than some of the industrial brands.

Happy night ride .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new AMOEBA user-img_1936.jpg  

new AMOEBA user-img_1938.jpg  

V2 COVERT on GTI MK5

mtbr member
    I like how you are using a leg velcro for it

Post some pics of your mk5.... I AM gticlay after all
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Doesn't look like there's much adjustability in the angle of the light with just velcro like that. Is that the stock head mount?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDingus
    Doesn't look like there's much adjustability in the angle of the light with just velcro like that. Is that the stock head mount?
    The adjustability comes from where you place the velcro. If you place the velcro on a curved part of the helmet, you can rotate the light head a little bit up or down by moving it forwards or backwards. It's best to get the aim right before you actually stick the velcro to the helmet--it's very sticky stuff!

I have a large visor (full face) which made it difficult to use the velcro mount because the visor was blocking the bottom of the beam. I have the optional plastic mount for my light. It's not as flexible from a mounting perspective as the velcro, but I like that mount more than just the velcro.

mtbr member

mounting

Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    The adjustability comes from where you place the velcro. If you place the velcro on a curved part of the helmet, you can rotate the light head a little bit up or down by moving it forwards or backwards. It's best to get the aim right before you actually stick the velcro to the helmet--it's very sticky stuff!

I have a large visor (full face) which made it difficult to use the velcro mount because the visor was blocking the bottom of the beam. I have the optional plastic mount for my light. It's not as flexible from a mounting perspective as the velcro, but I like that mount more than just the velcro.
    kristian is right, only way to adjust the light height is by placing the velcro. I once thought I would make some mount by my own, but so far Im satisfied with the velcro. I wanted to place the light much up front with the battery also mounted on the top of the shell, but I had to place the light behind to have the best position for lighting.
    V2 COVERT on GTI MK5

mtbr member

gti/covert

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I like how you are using a leg velcro for it

Post some pics of your mk5.... I AM gticlay after all
    hi, have not taken the pics of my gti recently, candy white gti with basic setups with white stripes (originally red) up in front grill. I enjoy driving the highway to the trails, enjoy riding covert on the trails, and enjoy driving gti back home ! Only thing is that I need to take both wheels off to load covert into the car.
    V2 COVERT on GTI MK5

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You can mount the Amoeba to the supplied velcro strap by wrapping the strap around the vents and it works great. This way you do not have to stick a velcro pad to your helmet. I also stuck a small plastic wedge under my light to get desired beam angle. The lighthead is so small and light it does not require much to hold it in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new AMOEBA user-amoeba-4.jpg