mtbr member

Need suggestions for warm tint combo - $500 budget

Long post, but if you'd like to skip all of it; I'm basically looking for high output bike lights with a tint somewhere around 4000k-4500k and would like some suggestions.

My girlfriend recently started riding with me so I gave her my old magicshine 808 and 816 light combo. Those were my only dedicated bike lights so I've been experimenting with some of my other lights like Zebralight H600FW MKII, SC600W, and H52W. I also tried using several of my Xeno E03 lights. Using flashlights has actually worked very well and the main downside is having to switch batteries on long rides. It's also somewhat of a pain to get them mounted before rides since I don't yet have any bar or helmet mounts for them and just use zip ties.

I have a few higher powered lights such as a Supbeam K40vn and a Thrunite tn30, but they are too large for bike use, and I don't really need to light anything up a 3/4's of a mile away

Anyway, I've decided to invest in some quality bike lights. One of my absolute must have requirements is a warm to neutral tint, around 4000K-4500K. I'm willing to sacrifice other areas in order to get this.

More info:

Run times of around 4 hours (using a 3000 lumen light on a medium mode is an example of how I expect to accomplish this). I really don't want to carry extra battery packs, but I guess that may have to be an option.

Multiple modes with strobes either absent or hidden

Quality. I have had 0 issues in the 5 years I've owned the magicshines, but I want to get something nicer this time around

I want a spot type light for the helmet and a floody light for the bars

I'd like the capability of a lot of output even though I probably won't need more than 1500 lumens most of the time. By a lot, I mean 2000+

Mixing brands does not matter to me, although I prefer the tints of the lights to match. I tried riding with a 3000K and a 5500K xeno the other day helmet mounted and really didn't like the contrasting colors.

I have lots of 18650 batteries, so lights that use those rather than packs are an option.

Here's some of the lights I'm looking at and the issues I've found that have kept me from ordering:

Niterider Pro 3600 - I don't like how it only uses one reflector for the low and medium modes. Budget also won't allow multiples of this light.

More Zebralights. I could stay well within my budget and get more batteries if needed. If I ran 2 SC600Ws on my helmet and 2 H600FWs on the bars that would give me around 2400 lumens of warm tint on the 2nd highest modes for around 2.5 hours on one set of batteries. Mounting complexity and the requirement to change batteries is holding me back on this.

Dinotte dual xml3 or xml3+xml4. These seem great, but not sure about how far these throw. Tint seems to be decently warm from the pics I've seen.

MM15vn- This is a Niwalker Minimax 15 flashlight that would be dedomed by vinh. I would ask him not to boost the current and I might possibly have him add a copper heatsink. Beautiful tint and good throw. Over 5000 lumens burst or 2000 lumens for around 4 hours. This seems like a great bar light although I'm not sure how heavy it would feel on the bars. I'm not sure how I would mount it and I'd also need to add a helmet light to go along with this. This light with batteries would use about 1/2 my budget so it's an option.
    Name:  DSC_0832_3_4_zps26312972.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  137.7 KB

2 Serfas 1800 lights. My local bike store has offered me a great deal on these and I like to support them whenever I can. Tint is my primary concern with these.

Gloworm lights - I really like the specs and design of these but can't look past the tint.

Trail XXX or Trail DS- These seem to have excellent tint. The problem with these, is that even with their cheapest option I couldn't afford a combo. I guess I could run one of their lights on my helmet and use one or more of my flashlights on the bars.

Fenix BC30 - A pair of these might work. Tint and output looks good. Seems to be too heavy and big for a helmet light though.

If anyone has any input or suggestion, I'd appreciate it. I've done a decent amount of research but have no idea which way to go. Too many options and it's difficult to make up my mind without seeing these in person.

Thanks!
    Last edited by coke; 12-12-2014 at 05:48 AM.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Trail XXX or Trail DS- These seem to have excellent tint. The problem with these, is that even with their cheapest option I couldn't afford a combo. I guess I could run one of their lights on my helmet and use one or more of my flashlights on the bars.

Thanks!
    You won't need a combo unless you insist on a second light for emergency situations. I got the XXX thinking I would use it with my old Magicshine clone on bars but the XXX has enough light for technical singletrack or fast descents so I ride without lights on my bars. The DS should get you more than you need.

mtbr member
    That's what I've been thinking. The primary reason for the 2nd light is in case one fails without warning. I don't want to be flying down a difficult dh section and be in the dark all of a sudden. I guess any of my small flashlights on the bars would work in that rare situation.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm really liking what I've read about the Trail lights. I made a big spreadsheet though comparing around 30 lights. The Trail are some of the worst as far as $/lumen, but they seem to have the tint I'm looking for and good run times.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Most important, they have awesome throw and spill. And last three hours on high.

mtbr member
    Long post, but if you'd like to skip all of it; I'm basically looking for high output bike lights with a tint somewhere around 4000k-4500k and would like some suggestions.

My girlfriend recently started riding with me so I gave her my old magicshine 808 and 816 light combo. Those were my only dedicated bike lights so I've been experimenting with some of my other lights like Zebralight H600FW MKII, SC600W, and H52W. I also tried using several of my Xeno E03 lights. Using flashlights has actually worked very well and the main downside is having to switch batteries on long rides. It's also somewhat of a pain to get them mounted before rides since I don't yet have any bar or helmet mounts for them and just use zip ties.

I have a few higher powered lights such as a Supbeam K40vn and a Thrunite tn30, but they are too large for bike use, and I don't really need to light anything up a 3/4's of a mile away

Anyway, I've decided to invest in some quality bike lights. One of my absolute must have requirements is a warm to neutral tint, around 4000K-4500K. I'm willing to sacrifice other areas in order to get this.

More info:

Run times of around 4 hours (using a 3000 lumen light on a medium mode is an example of how I expect to accomplish this). I really don't want to carry extra battery packs, but I guess that may have to be an option.

Multiple modes with strobes either absent or hidden

Quality. I have had 0 issues in the 5 years I've owned the magicshines, but I want to get something nicer this time around

I want a spot type light for the helmet and a floody light for the bars

I'd like the capability of a lot of output even though I probably won't need more than 1500 lumens most of the time. By a lot, I mean 2000+

Mixing brands does not matter to me, although I prefer the tints of the lights to match. I tried riding with a 3000K and a 5500K xeno the other day helmet mounted and really didn't like the contrasting colors.

I have lots of 18650 batteries, so lights that use those rather than packs are an option.

Here's some of the lights I'm looking at and the issues I've found that have kept me from ordering:

Niterider Pro 3600 - I don't like how it only uses one reflector for the low and medium modes. Budget also won't allow multiples of this light.

More Zebralights. I could stay well within my budget and get more batteries if needed. If I ran 2 SC600Ws on my helmet and 2 H600FWs on the bars that would give me around 2400 lumens of warm tint on the 2nd highest modes for around 2.5 hours on one set of batteries. Mounting complexity and the requirement to change batteries is holding me back on this.

Dinotte dual xml3 or xml3+xml4. These seem great, but not sure about how far these throw. Tint seems to be decently warm from the pics I've seen.

MM15vn- This is a Niwalker Minimax 15 flashlight that would be dedomed by vinh. I would ask him not to boost the current and I might possibly have him add a copper heatsink. Beautiful tint and good throw. Over 5000 lumens burst or 2000 lumens for around 4 hours. This seems like a great bar light although I'm not sure how heavy it would feel on the bars. I'm not sure how I would mount it and I'd also need to add a helmet light to go along with this. This light with batteries would use about 1/2 my budget so it's an option.
    Name:  DSC_0832_3_4_zps26312972.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  137.7 KB

2 Serfas 1800 lights. My local bike store has offered me a great deal on these and I like to support them whenever I can. Tint is my primary concern with these.

Gloworm lights - I really like the specs and design of these but can't look past the tint.

Fenix BC30 - A pair of these might work. Tint and output looks good. Seems to be too heavy and big for a helmet light though.

If anyone has any input or suggestion, I'd appreciate it. I've done a decent amount of research but have no idea which way to go. Too many options and it's difficult to make up my mind without seeing these in person.

Thanks!
    Right now I don't know of any brand name manufacturer that uses the warmer tinted emitters. I pretty much like the "bright white tint" for most riding myself but I've never ridden with a high output lamp with a warmer tint. Like you I have ridden with a torch that has a "neutral white" tint. I have to admit It's quite possible that if a multi-emitter lamp were available with "neutral white" emitters ( or warm white if you may ) I might be interested in one of those.

I have two suggestions; First, maybe contact GJHS ( a forum member ) who seems to have a rapport with one of the Chinese websites that sell bike lamps. Perhaps they might be able to supply one of the more popular lamps with the "neutral white" XM-L2's. If they could supply a "NW" version of the Yinding or SStorm X2, X3,XT40 ( or all ) , I would probably buy at least one of those myself, if just to see if I really would like it.

Option two; Order one of the Amoeba set-ups from Scar. Since Scar hand-builds his own lamps I sure he would be able to accommodate your request with the emitter(s) of your choice. Not to mention there are other DIY people who also sell their lamps that might be able to do the same. Anyway, Scar has a good rapport here on MTBR and I bet he could put a combo together that you might like. Just keep in mind if you go NW and want to use both a bar and helmet lamp it would be best to have both lamps with a NW tint.

As for myself, if I could buy a Yinding or any Duo clone with "NW" emitters I would do so.

mtbr member
    I was trying to remember the Amoeba lights last week and couldn't think of the name.

I've bought several lights from Vinh on cpf. He'll mod just about any light. If you want to try a cheap light with a warm led, send him an email. Cost varies depending on the light, but it's usually not too bad for him to swap emitters. I hadn't thought of doing this until your post, so I'm going to see what options I have.

Vinhnguyen54

mtbr member
    Did some more reading on here and found out people are using Lipo RC batteries for lights. I have several already and 2 chargers, so this really changes things. I could get a gloworm xs & x2 combo for around $350 for example. Doesn't meet my warm tint requirement, but $/lumen is great. Just need to find a warm light that I can buy without an included battery and charger.

mtbr member
    Did some more reading on here and found out people are using Lipo RC batteries for lights. I have several already and 2 chargers, so this really changes things. I could get a gloworm xs & x2 combo for around $350 for example. Doesn't meet my warm tint requirement, but $/lumen is great. Just need to find a warm light that I can buy without an included battery and charger.
    Right now some people ( on forum ) are trying to get a couple of the Chinese websites to offer some warmer LED options for some of the Duo clones. If they come through I'll give you a shout if I don't see you posting. Two neutral white duo clones ( one helmet one bars ) should be all you need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am in the process of making it happen, if not in the Yinding, maybe another light head. Up to my ears in Yinding so may be a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fenix BC30 for handlebar + Yinding with neutral tint (if it happens) for helmet.

Probably I m one of few bastards that own original Yinding upgraded to XML2 T6 3B tint. It is awesome light.
    Invest your money in to a good batteries

200$ left donate to charity

Yinding XML2 T63B 10+25 optics
    Last edited by bhocewar; 12-16-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: adding picture

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhocewar View Post
    Fenix BC30 for handlebar + Yinding with neutral tint (if it happens) for helmet.

Probably I m one of few bastards that own original Yinding upgraded to XML2 T6 3B tint. It is awesome light.
    Invest your money in to a good batteries

200$ left donate to charity
    I've been considering the BC30 on bars and one of my zebralights on the helmet. I think it would be a good inexpensive combo.