Riding a Rig.

Need some advice for getting started in lights...

Hey guys. Me and some friends are looking into getting lighting systems for our bikes so we can ride at night durring the summer. We'd like to keep the cost as low as possible but at the same time still have plenty of light.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start?
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

BBW
    mtbr member
    Check Dinotte website... (http://www.dinottelighting.com)

you could start with a 400L (209$ on sale now)... I don;t know how much you want to spend... check their products and Rob might give you a group price?

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    I just picked up 2 Photon Max Extremes. 2,700 combined lumens on max output, although I will probably run both on medium (1k lumens combined) for a 5 hour runtime. This will give me plenty of light and riding time.

Just one of the Photon Max's is a great deal @ $283. It provides 800 lumens for over 2.5 hours.

I always order through GeoMan (he is a member here on MTBR) and have great communication and success with him.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

Riding a Rig.
    I came across this over on CPF... http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=192025

Any thoughts?
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    I came across this over on CPF... http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=192025

Any thoughts?
    Vulcan, this may interest you First Look - LITEmania Kentro P7 Bike Light (lots-o-pics) it's a review of last years version without the remote switch.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    I just picked up 2 Photon Max Extremes. 2,700 combined lumens on max output, although I will probably run both on medium (1k lumens combined) for a 5 hour runtime. This will give me plenty of light and riding time.

Just one of the Photon Max's is a great deal @ $283. It provides 800 lumens for over 2.5 hours.

I always order through GeoMan (he is a member here on MTBR) and have great communication and success with him.
    Thanks very much for the mention. We appreciate that!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Thanks very much for the mention. We appreciate that!
    You earned it!
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    go the ay ups
    they r awesome

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    Hey guys. Me and some friends are looking into getting lighting systems for our bikes so we can ride at night durring the summer. We'd like to keep the cost as low as possible but at the same time still have plenty of light.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start?
    The first thing to do is to decide if you are committed to doing this. If you are, then go for big light right away. You will save money in the long haul and won't have a pile of unused lights.

My choice is to go for either the Ayup narrow or the Dinotte 400L for the helmet and one of the Dinotte 800L, Lupine Tesla or Lupine Wilma for the bars.

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ended up getting the Exposure Maxx D and Joystick helmet light. Yes they are little expensive but considering there are no wires means attaching them to my bike is quick and easy, especially with the quick release mount. This makes me want to ride more often at night because it isn't a pain in the neck to connect them to my bike.

Plus they can be used for other things around the house, like very long life flashlights, during the off season.

You would think the lights would be very heavy but they aren't, they are very light weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    I ended up getting the Exposure Maxx D and Joystick helmet light. Yes they are little expensive but considering there are no wires means attaching them to my bike is quick and easy, especially with the quick release mount. This makes me want to ride more often at night because it isn't a pain in the neck to connect them to my bike.

Plus they can be used for other things around the house, like very long life flashlights, during the off season.

You would think the lights would be very heavy but they aren't, they are very light weight.
    I am in the same boat you were, how are the lights working out for you, have you done any trail riding with them? I need to outfit 2-3 bikes for some trail riding, but having never done any night riding before im a little concerned about having less light on the helmet than on the bike? We tend to ride pretty quick during the day on fairly technical terrain and ide like to avoid compromising that as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The Maxx D and Joystick combo works fantastic and are very light weight. I am telling you that you will love these lights!

Once you use the Exposure light system, you will never go back to a battery pack and wire setup.