Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hotprowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    86

    Need a new light, my Light & Motion ARC died

    I've had a Light & Motion ARC for a few years, and loved it, but it seems to finally takena dump. Sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doesn't. L&M said to try a new battery, I did and thats not it. They said it was most likely something inside the actual light head. Soooo anyway, I'm in the market for a new light (bar mount). Any suggestions in the $200-$300 range?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by hotprowl
    I've had a Light & Motion ARC for a few years, and loved it, but it seems to finally takena dump. Sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doesn't. L&M said to try a new battery, I did and thats not it. They said it was most likely something inside the actual light head. Soooo anyway, I'm in the market for a new light (bar mount). Any suggestions in the $200-$300 range?
    In the $200-$300 range eh??

    Our Baja Designs Strykr LED, is tied for 1st (we tied with Lupine) with the highest LUX rating (52) of all the 700 lumen bar mounted systems in MTBR's light test. The Strykr also comes with a Spot and a Wide angle lens that you can swap out depending on your riding conditions. Normal retail on the Stryker is $298.95 but we have a $100 trade-in program for old light systems (working or not - so your L&M is perfect) that would bring a new Strykr in at $198.95, and leave you with extra money - always a nice thing.

    The way that special works is I email you a form, you fill it out and send it back, we ship you your new Strykr. Once your new light arrives you mail out the remains of your old system and we give it a dignified burial.

    If that sounds interesting my email is Shannon@BajaDesigns.com, I can also answer any questions you may have. We have some good reviews here on MTBR and you can also check the Facebook page at Baja Designs Bicycle Lighting to see what we are all about.

    Good luck in your search!

    Shannon Scott
    Baja Designs Inc.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,283
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon
    In the $200-$300 range eh??
    ooh, you're quick

    $2-300 nets you a good, but not superbright name brand system (Lupin Piko springs to mind), a brighter and solid but non-name brand light like the Stryker or a couple of cheaper, much brighter, but a little less solid lights like the Bikerays from Geoman.

    Or, a really nice, but somewhat DIY looking light like Scar's Amoeba.

    It might not seem what way if you walk into a bike shop, but there's actually quite a bit of choice in output vs. reputation at that price level. Me, I'd say build your own for $100 and blow them all into the weeds, but I'm a more regular denizen of the DIY light forum

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Baja Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    ooh, you're quick

    $2-300 nets you a good, but not superbright name brand system (Lupin Piko springs to mind), a brighter and solid but non-name brand light like the Stryker or a couple of cheaper, much brighter, but a little less solid lights like the Bikerays from Geoman.

    Or, a really nice, but somewhat DIY looking light like Scar's Amoeba.

    It might not seem what way if you walk into a bike shop, but there's actually quite a bit of choice in output vs. reputation at that price level. Me, I'd say build your own for $100 and blow them all into the weeds, but I'm a more regular denizen of the DIY light forum
    Hah! I agree with everything MatttheMuppet (I was a huge Muppet fan) said! Good stuff!

    Shannon

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hotprowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    86
    Hey Shannon,

    I snen email yesterday with a couple questions.


    ps. I would love to do a DIY light, but I'm not good with electronics at all. I own a machine shop, so the housing is not a problem, but the electronics part .....

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,283
    Quote Originally Posted by hotprowl
    ps. I would love to do a DIY light, but I'm not good with electronics at all. I own a machine shop, so the housing is not a problem, but the electronics part .....
    actually, the housing is by far the hardest part, so if you can do that then you're well on your way to an awesome light (no disrespect to Shannon ). As long as you know which end of a hot soldering iron to hold, it's as simple wires from + to + and - to - on the relevant bits of the driver (I love the *flex drivers from Taskled). It's not for everybody, but you can easily put together a 2000lm (theoretical) twin LED light for ~$100 including charger and battery.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •