Thread: Need a light

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Need a light

Just recently bought my first real mountain bike and now I am looking for a budget light for night rides. Would like to find one wide enough for trail riding. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    You really should have 2; 1 for your bar and 1 for your helmet. The setup mentioned above will work or you could spend around $150 for a higher quality setup from action-led-lights.com.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member

Re: Need a light

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    You really should have 2; 1 for your bar and 1 for your helmet. The setup mentioned above will work or you could spend around $150 for a higher quality setup from action-led-lights.com.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    This is the setup I use. I use two Niterider Lumina 700s. Works fine for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoo1424 View Post
    This is the setup I use. I use two Niterider Lumina 700s. Works fine for me.
    I was thinking of getting the Lumina, is it easy to replace the batteries or do you need to solder the wires to the battery?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    thanks for all the input guys...from the lights mentioned, how wide is the beam?

turtles make me hot
    The light that I linked to has a beam plenty wide for trail riding. Three of my friends and my stepson each ride with a pair of them.

I use Exposure lights. A lot more money but cordless. Nice feature. I really don't have any more light than them. I can pretty much ride as fast at night as I do during the day.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Need a light

The first one listed for $18 is used by several seasoned riders in our group. They are very bright and perform as well if not better than my $300 Serfas 1500. Thinking of getting one for a spare and for my wife.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    that one for 18 bucks seems like a steal to me. is it easy to put on my bike? and is that chord annoying or in the way at all?

turtles make me hot
    They're easy to mount. Wrap the cord around the stem. On the helmet, my friends all run the wire through their vent holes to the rear and keep the battery in their Camelbaks.

Out of the eight kits everyone bought, one battery pack failed. He bought a whole other kit and kept the other light head as a spare.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Battery packs on these cheaper lights seems to be the weak point. If you get them from amazon..easy returns/replacements and with two lights the odds of losing both on the same ride is low.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    yeah I am not sure if i like that battery pack or not. Are there any lights like the ones posted that dont have the battery pack and are not crazy expensive?

mtbr member
    What about high powered Li-Ion flashlights with a mount? These are extremely common if you're not familiar with them. Or are these Taboo to be mention on MTBR? Downside could be runtime if you're looking for lots of runtime. Plus side, no cords and you only use good quality cells which you have control over.

EDIT - That second one lists modes as "High, Normal, Low, Strobe" - can someone confirm whether it's really, 1LED, 2LED, 3LED, strobe? The latter tends to have very little difference from 2 LEDs to 3.

Also, I would prefer and recommend an OP (orange peel) reflector to help smooth out the beam (esp. since you prefer "flood"). You may though look into getting the Action LED wide angle lens too.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    What about high powered Li-Ion flashlights with a mount? These are extremely common if you're not familiar with them. Or are these Taboo to be mention on MTBR? Downside could be runtime if you're looking for lots of runtime. Plus side, no cords and you only use good quality cells which you have control over.

EDIT - That second one lists modes as "High, Normal, Low, Strobe" - can someone confirm whether it's really, 1LED, 2LED, 3LED, strobe? The latter tends to have very little difference from 2 LEDs to 3.

Also, I would prefer and recommend an OP (orange peel) reflector to help smooth out the beam (esp. since you prefer "flood"). You may though look into getting the Action LED wide angle lens too.

-Garry
    There's a whole thread on this forum that covers their use for biking. Some people still use them, but many/most have converted to using cheap light heads with separate batteries. They don't move around as much and they have vastly superior run times.

Some people also like the self-contained lights such as the Lumina 650 for their ease of use and lack of complexity. They are basically just flashlights with better mounts.

turtles make me hot
    I have Exposure Toro and Diablo. Cordless, rechargeable, bright as all hell...
    Only catch is the price.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I can't comment on Serfas, but having bought quite a number of dealextreme and what not lights, there is no comparison to a well thought out light, and throwing tons of lumens at the problem does not fix the issue. The cheap lights employ reflectors that were designed for flashlights. They have a sharply defined hotspots, and almost none live up to their claimed lumens. Many exceed Cree's listed maximum ratings, and many don't push the current they claim, so, YMMV with luimens.

That said, they are dirt cheap, and a good place to start. Some are now using optics instead of reflectors, so spread may be better, read reviews! Buy a few that have known lumens from personal reviews and use that as a jumping off point for eventually figuring out exactly what you want in a light system.

Later, you can build your own high quality set for about $100 (easy2lex/taskled, etc), plus batteries, or purchase a main brand.

I've used dealextreme et, al. flashlights mounted on bars and helmet, tried a few of their higher power headlamps, and have built a few customs sets. I just picked up my first pricey light, a gloworm xs, and I must say it's a smokin' hot light. Great spill, no spots, a wish I had it on my car kinda light. Can't believe how small it is, and how much light shoots out those three LED's. Bought it as an upgrade to the Fenix BT20 I just purchased holy crap, what is fenix thinking, oh yeah, they make flashlights.

In Fenix's defense, the BT20 is a VERY nice light, love the look, control is simple, lit button a plus when on the bar, ACCEPTS LOOSE 18650'S, for $90 it's a good deal just on the fact that it takes loose batteries and the light is bright with ok spill. I was shooting for helmet use, but the way the spill is laid out it's really best on the bar.

mtbr member
    I think where I am coming from (BudgetLightForum) the users are probably more "casual" and perhaps more "budget-minded" than many users over here at MTBR. I'm taking my first venture into dedicated Bike lights now and I actually don't have much night riding experience. I'm hoping this changes in the near future .

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    1200 Lumen Lithium Compact Bicycle Headlight Powerful & Security Led Flashlight 2 in 1 item, can be used as headlamp and bike headlight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What about high powered Li-Ion flashlights with a mount?
    I use these flashlights for night riding and love them. Bright, tough, cheap, and double as -- drum roll -- flashlights . Compact, no cords, and extra batteries are cheap. I put on my handlebar and one on my helmet.

I prefer the zoomable models with a convex lens -- they throw a perfectly even, round pattern. I have one with an orange-peel reflector, and the convex lens is a lot better.

On medium brightness they run an hour an a half no problem, and I carry spares. Today I ordered some larger 26650 batteries that are 5000 ma as opposed to the common 3000ma 18650s that I am running now. I will post a report.

Using LED flashlights for cycling

DFMBA.org
    I run two of the Deal Extreme crees (bar/helmet) and they work great for a 2 hr ride. Hell, I paid $50/ea for these a couple years ago.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.