Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Need help with tail light selection

This is for my road bike.
    I was using a PB Superflash but it fell off the seat bag strap and lost it.
    Now I realize I would like something brighter and with a wider angle.
    Also would like to mount to seatpost (less likely to fall off) but I only have a few inches of space there. Here is what I have narrowed it down to:

Exposure Trace Rear - Seems well made, bright enough, nice mount and doesn't need much space. Price is reasonable. Not sure about how wide the beam is although some reviews mention good side visibility. This light is probably my first choice right now.

Niteflux RZ4 - Seems to have the wide angle. The mounting seems versatile although quirky as is having to pull the end cap off to charge it. Probably would be too tall to mount on my seatpost so would have to mount to seat rails or seat bag strap. I don't really like the fast flashing pattern. Reports of bad customer service. Price is a bit high.

Niterider Solas - This would be a contender because of the price, brightness and angle, but too many reports of the clip and USB connector breaking. Seems like they didn't put enough thought into the design of those parts.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Have you looked at the Serfas Thunderbolt?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Have you looked at the Serfas Thunderbolt?
    I think it is too long to fit on my seatpost. Would have to put on seat stay which I am not sure would work as they are very thin. Reports of short battery run time.

mtbr member

It's only about 2 1/2 inches, but if you don't have the space, you don't have it. Most of the guys I know around here are using the Thubderbolt, and there's no complaints of short battery life. On high flash, I get almost four hours, and low flash is indeed a 9 hr life time (left it on at work one day by accident). The range is great, and if you get the white, it allows more light through on the sides which aids in side view visibility. Something to consider, I suppose. Good luck on your search!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It's only about 2 1/2 inches, but if you don't have the space, you don't have it. Most of the guys I know around here are using the Thubderbolt, and there's no complaints of short battery life. On high flash, I get almost four hours, and low flash is indeed a 9 hr life time (left it on at work one day by accident). The range is great, and if you get the white, it allows more light through on the sides which aids in side view visibility. Something to consider, I suppose. Good luck on your search!
    Ok, one of my bikes is a tandem and not much seatpost, maybe it would fit but then it would be covered by the seatbag, so would have to ride without the bag which might be doable since we have a second bag on the stokers stem. Curious why you and others you know chose this light over others?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you want a Tail Light, see this thread....

Red Amoeba

mtbr member

It's extremely bright and offers a great coverage, mounts anywhere easily, is waterproof, and it's price is reasonable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    If you want a Tail Light, see this thread....

Red Amoeba
    I am an EE and built my own head light once. It was about 200 lumens and worked pretty good, but since have replaced it with a MJ-808e that is 900 lumens was about $60. I have no desire to build another light although I can appreciate those who do.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Red Amoeba is a product, not a DIY.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It's extremely bright and offers a great coverage, mounts anywhere easily, is waterproof, and it's price is reasonable.
    Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    The Red Amoeba is a product, not a DIY.
    Ok, more like a DIY that somebody is selling.
    In any case it is overkill in terms of size, price and light output for my needs.
    Thanks anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have a carbon tube RZ4 and it is the BOMB ! I love the thing and tossed my dinottes and PBSF aside and use this RZ4 all the time. fuggin visible !!!!!!!

tiny
    easy to mount and bombproof
    bright as hell

super easy to program. just go to the mode you want to delete, and hold button down for a while until it starts to flash again, now that mode is deleted. when all modes are deleted, then all modes are available (5 flashing and 3 steady) and you can pick and delete what you want. MAN is it bright and nothing beats it's side visibility

mtbr member
    Cygolight Hotshot
    Dinotte
    Magicshine 818

mtbr member
    You didn't mention price range, but Dinotte IMHO is still among the safest rear lights available. Especially for the flash mode that keeps the light on between flashes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    You didn't mention price range, but Dinotte IMHO is still among the safest rear lights available. Especially for the flash mode that keeps the light on between flashes.
    Price up to $100 so Dinotte is out, also it is pretty large in size.
    I believe the Exposure Tracer also leaves the light on between flashes.
    I wonder why nobody has mentioned this light, maybe being from the UK they don't sell many here. I am still thinking its my best option although I appreciate the other suggestions.

Cygolight Hotshot: Read the beam is narrow so side visibility isn't so good, otherwise seems good.

Dinotte : Price too high
    Magicshine 818 : Huge separate battery, I could hook it up to my head light battery which I think is the same one, but would have to run a long a wire to the back, not ideal especially on the tandem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    rz4 mang..100 bux...blows all the rest out of the water in visibility

that's like, just my opinion man....but I have dinottes and niterider and
    pbsf and can also compare others I see on the peeps on the road...rz4 is something else

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Cygolight Hotshot
    Dinotte
    Magicshine 818
    I looked at 818 some more and there are some things I like about it.
    Simple mounting and doesn't take much space., although looks like it would be pointing down some.
    Looks pretty rugged. Seems like good side visibility.
    I could put the battery in my seat bag, but would have to use the larger bag.

mtbr member
    I've had the RZ8 since it first came out, and I'm still pretty happy with it. It comes with one strobe mode that goes down to RZ4 level.

It is what it is. A simple design with opaque rubbery lenses that filters some brightness, but also has good side visibility.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I own this: Xeccon Geinea Super Bright Micro Rear Light

Very small, very bright. The videos on the link speak for them self quite nicely. I bought one for my gf too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    I own this: Xeccon Geinea Super Bright Micro Rear Light

Very small, very bright. The videos on the link speak for them self quite nicely. I bought one for my gf too.
    It does look very bright, I would almost be afraid it would blind drivers and other cyclists. Also the mounting is kind of clumsy with a separate battery and remote. I realize there are advantages to this, but I would prefer everything self contained in the light. If I wanted max brightness then this might the light to go with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    This is for my road bike.
    I was using a PB Superflash but it fell off the seat bag strap and lost it.
    Now I realize I would like something brighter and with a wider angle.
    Also would like to mount to seatpost (less likely to fall off) but I only have a few inches of space there.
    I use the cat eye rapid3. Its a bit brighter than the PBSF and mounts nicely to the seat stay, leaving the seat post free. You could get three for your 100$ budget.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    It does look very bright, I would almost be afraid it would blind drivers and other cyclists. Also the mounting is kind of clumsy with a separate battery and remote. I realize there are advantages to this, but I would prefer everything self contained in the light. If I wanted max brightness then this might the light to go with.
    I've never seen (or heard of) a self-contained light that even comes close to emitting the minimum amount of light that I would consider to be acceptable for a rear light. Good luck with whatever you decide.

mtbr member
    Xeccon looks pretty sweet.

mtbr member

Re: Need help with tail light selection

Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    I've never seen (or heard of) a self-contained light that even comes close to emitting the minimum amount of light that I would consider to be acceptable for a rear light. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    What is it that you consider acceptable?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What about mounting one light on each chainstay?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast