mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Need help replacing a bad cell.

I didn't have any luck with this over in the DIY forums, so I thought I'd check with you guys:
    *** feel free to point me to any posts/threads I didn't find in my search.

I've got a the generic Chinese light with the Cree XML. Light head just stopped working with my battery pack (works with another one I borrowed) Charger flashes red when the pack is plugged in. I'm going to double check that its not the charger, but I'm almost certain its the battery.

I'd like to open up the battery pack and replace the bad cell(s). I'm reasonably savvy with electronics (mostly audio/video and automotive/home). I have a volt meter and soldering iron.

Firstly, what and I going to see when I open it up? Are the cells typically connected via solder? Circuit board? Leads? etc...
    Secondly, what will be the best test for checking my cells? Voltage? Current? etc..

If someone could quickly just tell me the process for checking the cells that would be great!

thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcavy1 View Post
    I didn't have any luck with this over in the DIY forums, so I thought I'd check with you guys:
    *** feel free to point me to any posts/threads I didn't find in my search.

I've got a the generic Chinese light with the Cree XML. Light head just stopped working with my battery pack (works with another one I borrowed) Charger flashes red when the pack is plugged in. I'm going to double check that its not the charger, but I'm almost certain its the battery.

I'd like to open up the battery pack and replace the bad cell(s). I'm reasonably savvy with electronics (mostly audio/video and automotive/home). I have a volt meter and soldering iron.

Firstly, what and I going to see when I open it up? Are the cells typically connected via solder? Circuit board? Leads? etc...
    Secondly, what will be the best test for checking my cells? Voltage? Current? etc..

If someone could quickly just tell me the process for checking the cells that would be great!

thanks!
    ..Before you start tearing into things....you probably just have a bad plug wire on the battery. If you are absolutely sure the problem is with the battery ( since another battery works you are likely right ), you can order an extension wire set-up, cut the female plug/wire off the extension and splice it onto the old battery wire. If this doesn't fix the problem then likely the problem is a connection with the battery PCB. If this is the case you would be better off just buying another battery ( unless there is an obvious loose connection ).