mtbr member
    May 2007

Need flashlight or bike light for the helmet w/replaceable 18650 battery.

So, I have searched (amazon and others), but I'm having now luck.

Criteria:
    1. Replaceable 18650 batteries
    2. 250-450 lumens on high/med or whatever setting
    3. Low profile cylindrical shape preferred.
    4. $75 or less (not including battery)
    5. Run time on the 250-450 lumens 2+ hrs.

The Lenzyne Macro drive is almost what I want, but the battery cannot be swapped out. This will get a lot of commute use. So, wearing out the battery and not being able to replace it after 9 months seems a waste of $70 and a light. (the SuperDrive and Power have a mount tab in the way)

Name:  Product-LED-MacroFrnt.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  15.8 KB

Anyone have any recommendations?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I just got the Yinding and am very happy with it. It was like $50 shipped. It comes with a sealed battery pack, but you can buy a separate battery case that allows you to remove the batteries and charge them for like $15

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    I just got the Yinding and am very happy with it. It was like $50 shipped. It comes with a sealed battery pack, but you can buy a separate battery case that allows you to remove the batteries and charge them for like $15
    Thanks,
    I took a look and I'd like some water resistance. I usually don't ride when it rains, but my crystal ball telling me the weather has been stolen.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    If I did not want to use the "cheap" Chinese battery pack, what could I use that is $40 or so and 2 cells. I only want 2 cells because of the weight.

mtbr member
    Fenix BT20 LED Bike Light - Fenix-Store

Just a bit over your price but close, the Fenix BT-20 bike light. Dual replaceable 18650 batteries in a sealed container.

mtbr member

Need flashlight or bike light for the helmet w/replaceable 18650 battery.

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    If I did not want to use the "cheap" Chinese battery pack, what could I use that is $40 or so and 2 cells. I only want 2 cells because of the weight.
    Sorry I can't help as I do not have any experience with two cell lights. As far as waterproofing, the "battery thread" has some pretty good info on a cell pack that you can order with screw/o-ring connectors (very inexpensive as well if I recall correctly). Here is how I currently have my 4 cell pack setup.

Need flashlight or bike light for the helmet w/replaceable 18650 battery.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399422843.764096.jpg

The Yinding is also plenty bright. Very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Use the $23 2 cell magicshine battery that Action LED sells: Action-LED-Lights ? MJ-6008 2200mAh Waterproof Battery.

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thank you everyone. I'm not sure what I'm getting yet.

Now, what is another thing to consider is that I found a video that shows how to disassmeble the micro and macro drive from Lezyne. Sure it voids the warranty, but I don't think I will kill the battery before the warranty goes out.

ballbuster
    What is the specific reason you're trying to fill with the replaceable battery? Is it runtime, to swap out the battery mid-ride if it runs low, or is it longevity. When the battery no longer holds a charge, you can replace it yourself?

I gotta say, I'm pretty dang happy with my NiteRider Lumina 650. It looks like you can replace the battery yourself when it goes bad, but I wouldn't try it on the trail. There might be soldering involved.

Nashbar has them for like $75 right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Get the Powerdrive XL for around $70 on amazon. Replaceable battery, 400 lumens max.
    Amazon.com : Lezyne Power Drive Xl LED Front Light (Black) : Bike Lighting Parts And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors.

Or the superdrive for around 80
    http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Super-D...dp/B008R5QLQC/

Those macros are more of a be-seen commuter light. In my opinion, you need something a little more high power for mountain biking.

Action LED Lights
    You might look at the Gemini XERA Flashlight. Up to 850 lumens and one interchangeable 18650.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Both the Power Drive and Super Drive have one thing I don't like, the mount. More specifically, the helmet mount. It makes the light stick up too much. A low branch bush has caught this once already. Also, in commuting with it on the helmet, it feels heavy up there.

Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Get the Powerdrive XL for around $70 on amazon. Replaceable battery, 400 lumens max.
    Amazon.com : Lezyne Power Drive Xl LED Front Light (Black) : Bike Lighting Parts And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors.

Or the superdrive for around 80
    Amazon.com : Lezyne Super Drive Xl LED Front Light (Black) : Bike Lighting Parts And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Those macros are more of a be-seen commuter light. In my opinion, you need something a little more high power for mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am going to go with the Macro Drive as I have found a way to replace the battery when needed. Or, I might replace the stock 2600 mah one with a 3400 mah for longer run time.