mtbr member

Need expensive light recommendations, ASAP!

*inexpensive* it always pays to edit before posting. Now it looks like I just want to spend money.

So the flashlight that I've had strapped to my handlebars for the last two months commuting finally bit the dust. I expected as much, it was nothing but some no name 200 lumen hefty thing from Wally World.

But, it has to be replaced, and soon. My ride starts at 5:30am on unlit city streets, so no lights simply isn't an option. I'm seriously desiring to keep it under 50 bucks, and if it can be purchased locally over the weekend or tonight to be shipped out first thing tomorrow, that's even better.

I see a lot of talk about resoldering leads, setting up battery packs, so on and so forth. While I don't have much experience with lights, I'm no amateur at rewiring electronic components, so it's not out of the question.

I know this isn't ideal, but the bottom line is I need lights, and we're strapped to the max until the end of the month. I don't have the option to go above or swing a little bit more right now. Simply looking for the absolute best bang for under a certain price point, and the advice of some guys who know worlds more than I.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You can't get cheap and have it today. All the cheap stuff comes from china and takes two to four weeks minimum. There are some ebay and amazon sellers that import these cheap lights and store them in US warehouses . You could probably get that in a few days.
    Here's a thread about the cheapest bright option:
    Review of Ebay: 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6 LED Bicycle HeadLight Lamp

Search ebay and amazon for that type of light with US shipping. Search for cree xm-l bike light or some variation of that. These come as low as $25 bucks. They are not always reliable. They are very bright.

If you have the time to wait, you can get something like a solarstorm x2 (around $40) plus a few others.

Another option would a cheaper all-in-one usb rechargeable light. You might be able to get one of those for under $80 on sale. It depends on how much light you need. Here's a low powered one:
    NiteRider Mako 200 USB LED Headlight - Bike Headlights
    It's probably better than what you were using.

Big sale at performance this week.

mtbr member

Need expensive light recommendations, ASAP!

Thanks for all the advice! I'll be budgeting away for a good front light, but for the time being, a 150 lumen cheapie and some cable ties are going to have to suffice.

I guess I better start liking the taste of this humble pie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Several friends of mine bought these recently. They have been arriving within 3 workdays.
    1800Lm CREE XML T6 LED Rechargeable Bike Bicycle Light Headlight Headlamp USA | eBay