Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Need a bright 12V headlight for police bikes

Howdy all. I've been tasked with designing a custom lighting package for 4-5 new police bicycles but have hit somewhat of a roadblock when it comes to the headlight. I need a light, preferably LED, that operates on 12V. I'm going to wire it up to a custom battery pack that will also power the red/blue lights and the siren.

Unfortunately, it seems most of the modern LED bicycle lights are going to lower voltages. Can y'all suggest some 12V options that I might not know about?

So far, I've been looking at the Trail Tech Equinox for about $110. It looks to be more of an ATV light but...who cares. I'm just uncertain about its durability in adverse conditions (repeated impact, rain, etc.). Any thoughts on this light or recommendations for others?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Contact Shannon over at BajaDesigns. He designs his stuff to military spec, so it should meet your durability requirements.
    His current product might not meet your needs but he seems to recognize opportunity well in the market, so give them a ring/email/pm here.
    Bajadesigns.com - The leader in Off-Road Motorcycle, Truck, and Buggly lighting and performance

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

12 Volt Bike Light

+1 on Baja Designs
    I believe they make a 12v model of their bike lights and its less expensive since it doesn't require a battery pack.
    Heres the model #63-0006 for the 12volt double strykr

Get in touch with Shannon

mtbr member
    Most people here will flame for this but MJ-808's can be run at 12V. I did it for a while, never had a problem with mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    for options and discount, give me a buzz,
    12V is not necessary 12V,
    cheers, Rob

mtbr member
    FWIW...the new(er) Bikeray IV is now designed to run off 12 volts and is sold with a Li-ion battery that operates within that voltage range. Now with that said, their web site still list only the 7.4 volt 4-cell system so you might need to confirm what I said with BikerayUSA if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If these are for Police bikes, I would go for reliability, not for what 'might' work. Suggest you contact Baja Designs, if the 12V bike light won't work, I'm sure they have something designed for motorcycles or ATVs that will.

just a Newbie
    Another option is Design Shine. There light AFIK uses the Maxflex driver wich will meet your requirement. It also have sidemarker on their lights. The rear light they make can be use up front if applicable for a police bike.

Action LED Lights
    The Magicshine MJ-808E will run off 12v. You can buy just the light head from us at Action LED Lights.
    We've got a number of people using it on E-bikes on 12 volts.
    Last edited by Action LED Lights; 11-30-2011 at 06:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    The Magicshine MJ-808E will run off 12v. You can buy just the light head from us at Action LED Lights.
    We've got a number or people using it on E-bikes on 12 volts.
    What is your ship time to Rocky Mountain west on your Gemini Titan.

Action LED Lights
    Orders usually ship the same day via Priority Mail which should give you 2 day service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post
    So far, I've been looking at the Trail Tech Equinox for about $110. It looks to be more of an ATV light but...who cares. I'm just uncertain about its durability in adverse conditions (repeated impact, rain, etc.). Any thoughts on this light or recommendations for others?
    Before getting the Equinox, I'd take a look at the WebBikeWorld not-so-favorable review of it. (I don't have enough posts to include the link - sorry) They also have there (right margin) some of their other reviews on 12V LED light systems for motorcycles.

As far as MagicShine goes, I've had an MJ-838 on my road bike for several months now with no problems. For department use, I'd think you might want to buy via an established U.S. vendor who will assist you with any issues that may arise.

I'd also suggest that, no matter what you get, when you submit the request for a purchase order for these, include a spare setup or two just in case.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm leaning towards the DesignShine light at this point. Just not sure if I'm going to be able to swing the cost. Had budgeted for closer to $110 instead of $210.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ...I'm just uncertain about its durability in adverse conditions (repeated impact, rain, etc.). ...
    By my way of thinking, this just screams out "Contact Shannon over at BajaDesigns".

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    By my way of thinking, this just screams out "Contact Shannon over at BajaDesigns".
    Well, I might still do that. But the model I'd be looking at is the 63-0006, a 12V powered Double Strykr. Problem is, it's $225 and I can't tell if it has multiple brightness levels, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Contact Baja Designs and talk to them. Tell them your requirements and let them recommend a suitable unit. Ask them about police department/multiple systems pricing. Also consider the value of lights made to take the abuse they will get and the comfort of knowing the company will be there long into the future to help with whatever may come up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Good points. I'll call them tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Pics no worky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pics no worky.
    No worries...the pics are just spam not related to this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    OK, thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Pics no worky.
    If you are referring ot the banner ad for Baja Designs on this and other pages, the link is broken since they revamped their website. Here is the new link:

Bicycle

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was referring to a post that has since been deleted.

Its got what plants crave
    Are any of the older Magicshines (like the original MS) compatible with 12v?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I called Shannon at Baja Designs today. He was extremely helpful and recommended the SL. Problem with that is going to be the price. $280-ish with a very nice LE discount. Includes the battery, mounts, etc., but that is still probably going to be more than I can swing for this project.

Not sure what I'm going to do at this point. A setup using the SL2 and all other lights, switches, bags, sirens, etc. will run me about $600. $300 of that is for the headlight, battery, and necessary extension wires.

I'm starting to lean back towards a solid white emergency light, such as the Whelen Ion. It might not have the same single focused beam that the SL2 has, but it should be plenty bright for a bicycle light.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    Are any of the older Magicshines (like the original MS) compatible with 12v?
    Yes, the original MJ-808 is compatible with 12v.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast