Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Light freak
    AggiePhil, I sent you a PM

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Another American manufacturer is DiNotte Lighting. Check out their XML-1. This will be far more efficient than a Whelen Ion.

MTBR review of XML-1

They have been around since 2005 and have a good reputation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I like Dinotte. However I don't see anything about those lights being 12V.

How are the MagicShine lights as far as durability? The MJ-808E appears to be at the right price point but I'm not too sure about it's durability. Obviously it isn't going to be bombproof like the BajaDesigns, but I do need it to be able to sustain occasional crashes, falling with the bike, etc.

And thanks so much for all the help guys. This board is clearly THE place to go for bike lighting questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You're right AggiePhil, the DiNotte is not 12V. I thought that with the problems you were having staying in budget that you might reconsider using the same battery (12V) for everything.

Its got what plants crave
    You can buy a Magicshine head for like 50 dollars if it breaks. I've had good luck with the light heads but my batteries failed in less than 2 years of weekly use. But mine get left in hot cars in Florida summers so I can't really fault them too much.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Yes, the original MJ-808 is compatible with 12v.

I am reading elsewhere on the forum that this is not true. Can you confirm/deny?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    I am reading elsewhere on the forum that this is not true. Can you confirm/deny?
    I don't have personal experience but I have several customers who use the 808 on their 12v E-bikes with good success. I also asked the Magicshine engineers and they OK'd the 808 for 12v.

mtbr member
    In so much as the MJ808 uses a BUCK (step down) controller and the circuit is trying to regulate the battery voltage down to around 3.6V to drive the P7 emitter, what you have to be concerned about is the maximum difference between the battery and the output voltage to the LED.

A fully charged 7.4V pack is around 8.6 so the theoretical difference is only around 5V.

A fully charged 11.1V pack is around 12.6 so now you're up to a 9V difference.

As the gap in voltage becomes greater, the efficiency of the BUCK controller goes down... translated, more power will be dissipated in the controller electronics.
    So it all depends on how well the controller electronics can handle the extra heat, particularly with a fully charged "12V" pack. Will it work? Yes. Could it have a negative effect on the life of the controller? Possibly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    On the original mj808, the input filter capacitors were rated for 10volts. You can push the specs on a lot of electronics components, but capacitor working voltages are pretty firm and not something you want to exceed by much. They really do blow up pretty consistently when you go much above the rated working voltage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well darn. Just when I was thinking I'd found something that'd work (the MagicShine).

I might wind up having to use separate batteries for the headlight and for the emergency/tail lights. I'd really wanted to keep it to one battery since two will mean that every officer has to mess with two batteries and it means we'll need twice as many chargers in the bike shed.

So, if I was going to go with a separate battery (and could therefore use any light of any voltage), which light would y'all recommend? Need to keep the system price under $225 (hopefully can keep it much lower than that).

mtbr member
    I'd recommend Scar's amoeba in that case. I think his lights come in around that kind of money, he can customise them to your specs and he has a good rep for customer service. Whether or not he has the capacity this time of year will be something he can tell you himself

mtbr member
    Get any light head you want and use these Endless-sphere.com • View topic - DC to DC Multi-Purpose Voltage Converter $14.98 His email is LYEN@HOTMAIL.COM I'm sure he will cut you a deal on a bunch of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post
    Well darn. Just when I was thinking I'd found something that'd work (the MagicShine).

I might wind up having to use separate batteries for the headlight and for the emergency/tail lights. I'd really wanted to keep it to one battery since two will mean that every officer has to mess with two batteries and it means we'll need twice as many chargers in the bike shed.

So, if I was going to go with a separate battery (and could therefore use any light of any voltage), which light would y'all recommend? Need to keep the system price under $225 (hopefully can keep it much lower than that).
    Not all of the Magicshine lights are the same. Some of the later models (i.e. MJ872) use an entirely different topology and might also work with the 12V pack. Only in this case, instead of a circuit failure issue, the issue might be that you wouldn't be able to use the lower power levels until the battery was partially depleted. Geoman has the light head, as a stand-alone part for $100. Just for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I like Dinotte. However I don't see anything about those lights being 12V.
    Call them. I was exploring options for running their newer lights from ebike battery supplies. I and I THINK I recall Rob telling me that they could handle 12v.

Cru Jonesin'
    I am a bit bias as I work for the company but ADVmonster.com has 12v LED lights for motorcycle adventure touring that may work for your application. 1500-2000 lumen depending on model and both draw under 2amps. Spot beam or flood.
    "Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. " ~ H.G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by RedRidingHoodlum View Post
    I am a bit bias as I work for the company but ADVmonster.com has 12v LED lights for motorcycle adventure touring that may work for your application. 1500-2000 lumen depending on model and both draw under 2amps. Spot beam or flood.
    Oooh, I want one for my boat.

Cru Jonesin'
    Oooh, I want one for my boat.

They are perfect for that too. Anodized housing with all stainless hardware and completely submersible.
    "Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. " ~ H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Use real police lights there 12VDC already

Howdy all. I've been tasked with designing a custom lighting package for 4-5 new police bicycles but have hit somewhat of a roadblock when it comes to the headlight. I need a light, preferably LED, that operates on 12V. I'm going to wire it up to a custom battery pack that will also power the red/blue lights and the siren.

Unfortunately, it seems most of the modern LED bicycle lights are going to lower voltages. Can y'all suggest some 12V options that I might not know about?

So far, I've been looking at the Trail Tech Equinox for about $110. It looks to be more of an ATV light but...who cares. I'm just uncertain about its durability in adverse conditions (repeated impact, rain, etc.). Any thoughts on this light or recommendations for others?
    Try SoundOff GHOST Rock Light w/ White Spotlight Powerful White LED Spotlight in a small, compact size.
    Light is built with 6 powerful Gen3 LEDs. Bracket allows adjustability of light head up or down to angle light exactly where you need it. Lumens: 200
    10-30 volt operating range.
    Current: 0.45A @12.8Vdc, 0.23A @ 25.6Vdc
    Operating Temperature: -40 to +65 C
    Dimensions: 4.77" L x 1.98" H x 1.62" D.
    For my Police Bicycle I use a Whelen ION Series Super-LED Light
    For Taillight and soon I will add them for Side Lights. There all Rugged water-resistant design will shrug off moisture, salt, chemicals and road vibration.
    Whelen ION Series Super-LED Light
    25 Scan-Lock flash patterns.
    Synchronizable to other Whelen synchronizable products.
    Supplied with 6" pigtail.
    Choice of Black or White housings.
    Meets or exceeds SAEJ595 specifications.
    Voltage: 12 VDC.
    Current: 0.4 Amps @ 12.8 VDC.
    Dimensions: 4" W x 1" H x 1 5/16" D.
    I use a 12 Volt 5 Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery
    Length 3.54 in.
    Width 2.75 in.
    Height 3.98 in.
    4.50 Pounds Fits perfect in my Police trunk bag. If you have questions feel free to ask me. Oh and the Whelen lights can be seen for miles in bright sunlight. The SoundOff GHOST Rock Light will gain attention even in sunlight. I will post my project build in the near future so you can see how I built my light system using Police Surface Mount LEDs designed and used for the LEO
    For Siren do not use same Battery it will drain power supply too fast. Use a 12v 1.3ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery it will fit perfect in your Trunk bag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2