Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need another light... under $200. suggestions please

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  racer_46 
#1 ·
So I already have a Niterider Minewt 600 and a couple of the cheap ebay 240lm handlebar mounted torches. What I am looking to do is replace the cheap torches and get one more ( or two if priced right) quality light. I have looked at many differrent lights online and cannot seem to decide which way to go.

I am currently considering the lezyne super drive and super drive xl, another Minewt 600 or Lumina 650, something from Magicshine, a couple of Serfas True 500s or a Serfas True 1000.

I would like something that will run around 2 hours and like the idea of a battery that is easily replaceable on the trail.

Any suggestions or comments to help steer me in the right direction would be nice.

Thanks

#2 ·
We are about to do a Midnight Special on mtbRevolution 2 days from now - on the 15th of this month.

Consider the Xeccon S12 U2 which is being reviewed here. The only thing more outstanding than this light is the USD 79 price tag including free DHL shipping to the USA at this stage. You should get it within 5 working days from order.

We are currently updating the website for this special. We see no reason why we can't process orders today.

Other specials are about to be listed including helmet/bar sets. We will extend our free express shipping to other countries. Our banner ad is on the right hand side. Stay tuned.

Leonard

#5 · (Edited)
Hey mb, the problem we face is shipping cost. DHL/UPS Fast = $$$. Free 30 day Shipping via China or HK Post is something we reluctantly have to consider after the promo.

If we removed the battery and charger, we could probably get it to you via DHL for USD 55-$58? It'll be around there.

[Added] Delivery time frame based on our past deliveries from Melbourne Australia or our China office is 4 working/business days to the US.

It's 3-4 working days for Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland, Finland, Norway, UK but sometimes gets held up at customs there for a day or two]

Yes, Xeccon lights will work with "standard connectors" used by GM, MS, most generic DX type of lights and of course Open Light Systems.

Leonard

#7 ·
I highly recommend the Gemini Olympia for the bars which is 1700 actual lumens. I ride with someone who has this on the bars and the smaller Xera on the helmet and it's a perfect setup. It's a bit spendy at $160 for the lighthead only, but you can make other Magicshine/Gemini/etc batteries work that have the same connector.

Another option for an entire kit is the MagicShine 872 - ~1400 lumen light, which I personally have run since last year. TONS of light and perfect for the bars as it has a very large flood pattern. The kit is $159 if you want the bigger 6.0Ah battery which I recommend. This thing sucks power down and my 6.0ah battery will only last 2 hours running on high. The good news is that unless you're going downhill the high mode is way overkill on the light and the 75% power is more than sufficient.

#8 ·
I can highly recommend the MS 856 which is the same as the 872 but with better cooling. Nice floody bar light without breaking the bank. I have this light paired with a Gemini Xera on my helmet and it's a wonderful combo and always gets comments how bright it is. I never have to use full power. Usually the #2 setting on each is fine except near the end of rides when it's fun to turn them up full blast just for kicks.

Here with the center mount for $123 MagicShine MJ-856 1600 lumens LED Bike Light Set

Here with an o-ring mount for $134 MagicShine MJ-856b O-ring mount 1600 lumens LED Bike Light Set

Choose the upgraded Samsung 5600mAh battery for the additional $25

The Brightstone Sports people have been excellent to deal with as well.

#13 ·
Update:

I've gotten a little more time on the light now and I am still very happy with it. It has got to be the brightest light out of the group that I ride with. Also i've gotten to ride in some more open areas and as others have said a little more throw would be nice when looking off in the distance. But as I said before it does a great job for general trail ridding and I would purchase it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.