Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    312

    Need Advice on a New Light...Dinotte 3 XM-L vs Niterider 1500 Pro Race. Any Advice?

    Looking to get a new light for trail riding. I currently have Cygolite Pace 150. Looking to get a Dinotte 3 XM-L or a Niterider 1500 Pro LED Race. Dinotte is $259, I can get the 1500 for $269. Can anyone give me any advice on which one would be best? Looking to stay in that price range as a max. If you have them I would take suggestions.
    Last edited by BigJZ74; 02-13-2012 at 07:16 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rlb81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    256
    Are you looking for a bar light? Some quick comparisons (been light shopping myself....)

    Dinotte
    Max Lumens: 1200
    Run time: 2.5/5/10 (High/Med/Low)
    Weight: 340g (100l light +240 batt)

    Nite Rider
    Max Lumens: 1500
    Run time: 1.5/3/6 (High/Med/Low)
    Weight: 435g
    Negative rep, please.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb81 View Post
    Are you looking for a bar light? Some quick comparisons (been light shopping myself....)

    Dinotte
    Max Lumens: 1200
    Run time: 2.5/5/10 (High/Med/Low)
    Weight: 340g (100l light +240 batt)

    Nite Rider
    Max Lumens: 1500
    Run time: 1.5/3/6 (High/Med/Low)
    Weight: 435g
    Thanks for the info, I already looked up that info. I am hoping to find real life comparisons. All of the info in these threads is a bit overwhelming. Looking for a bar light first and a head light soon after. The more I read the more confused I get. I have been reading about the gloworm X2.......seems pretty good less expensive too. Then there's Magicshine, etc, etc. ....Wish there was a magical light booth at the local trails at night with all of the lights you can buy so you can just see them with you own eyes.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    63
    Did you check out the 2012-bike-lights-shootout-trail-beam-pattern-photos and 2012-bike-lights-shootout-backyard-beam-pattern-photos? There seem to be a lot of very respectable lights in this price range.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rlb81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    All of the info in these threads is a bit overwhelming.
    No lies! Maybe I'll just get really wasted and just order one, take the OCD aspect out of the decision making

    I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the XML-3 myself. Close...
    Negative rep, please.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb81 View Post
    No lies! Maybe I'll just get really wasted and just order one, take the OCD aspect out of the decision making

    I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the XML-3 myself. Close...

    LOL.....I do feel like I have OCD. I have read as much as I can possibly read and looked at as many photos as possible can. I am usually not the type of person that likes to deal with bad batteries or product issues so there are some companies I am hesitant to try. Stiill confused.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rlb81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    256
    Reading everything is almost as hurtful as reading nothing...It's frustrating. I'm just afraid that I'll buy today then tomorrow the most awesome light in the world will show up on the forums. But I guess that's the way of the world....I think I spend more time researching bike parts than actually riding.
    Negative rep, please.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,311

    I don't think you can go wrong with either

    The NR definitely looks brighter, and with a wider beam, looking at the backyard beam shots, the NR looks like the winner. Looking at the trail beam shots, I prefer the extra center brightness of the XML3, over the extra wide flood of the NR. (that's a preference thing). The XML3 has a nice amount of flood, but the NR definitely has more. If you have really open trails, you may prefer the NR. If you have tight canopy trails, you may prefer the XML3.

    But... that NR run time might be right on the edge (for me), since some of my rides are more than 3 hrs, and I have to use high power a good bit, but keep in mind your trails, as you'll only really need high power for the fastest trails.

    That appears to be a great price on the NR too.
    I have an XML3 btw, and if the NR was at it's mtbr stated price of $350, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to get the XML3 and save the cash. It's a awesome little light.

    It basically boils down to whether you like A LOT of flood, and how long your rides usually last (you could get a spare battery too). I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with either...... tough call.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeThenDie View Post
    Did you check out the 2012-bike-lights-shootout-trail-beam-pattern-photos and 2012-bike-lights-shootout-backyard-beam-pattern-photos? There seem to be a lot of very respectable lights in this price range.
    Yes it was the first thing I read. Before the shootout I had never heard of Dinotte or many of the other brands except for the brands you find at most LBS's like Niterider and Cygolite. I started this thread in the hopes of getting experienced night riders personal insight as you know that a beam photo looks completely different from what you see with your own eye. The shootout is one source of information which is great, but I was hoping to make a more informed decision. If I used only one source of info I would be selling my 26 and buying a 650b because it won the MBAction wheel shootout for being the best over 26'er and 29'ers in the latest issue. Most of the threads in this forum seem to focus on the smaller companies lights like Magicshine etc which seem great but a lot of their products seem to have had small issues which makes me hesitant when you don't know much about them. I have read about the Gloworm X2 and the issues they have had with initial product kinda pushes me away. Their CS in fixing the issues seems great but I think I would rather wait for version 2. I would rather pay a little more and feel comfortable that I have a reliable product that I can get years of worry free use out of rather than playing roulette with an inexpensive xml light that may work great but may break in 2 months. I just may have to pick one up and hope.....
    Last edited by BigJZ74; 02-14-2012 at 08:39 AM.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    The NR definitely looks brighter, and with a wider beam, looking at the backyard beam shots, the NR looks like the winner. Looking at the trail beam shots, I prefer the extra center brightness of the XML3, over the extra wide flood of the NR. (that's a preference thing). The XML3 has a nice amount of flood, but the NR definitely has more. If you have really open trails, you may prefer the NR. If you have tight canopy trails, you may prefer the XML3.

    But... that NR run time might be right on the edge (for me), since some of my rides are more than 3 hrs, and I have to use high power a good bit, but keep in mind your trails, as you'll only really need high power for the fastest trails.

    That appears to be a great price on the NR too.
    I have an XML3 btw, and if the NR was at it's mtbr stated price of $350, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to get the XML3 and save the cash. It's a awesome little light.

    It basically boils down to whether you like A LOT of flood, and how long your rides usually last (you could get a spare battery too). I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with either...... tough call.
    Kinda like the flood of the NR for a bar light, runtime kinda makes me nervous but probably wouldn't need to run it on high all of the time. Honestly, I have never ridden with such bright lights, I live in Massachusetts so pretty thick rocky woods. Really unsure with how the reflective light would be. I like the idea of more side visibility with a flood but on a tight trail would more throw be better? I just don't know.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb81 View Post
    Reading everything is almost as hurtful as reading nothing...It's frustrating. I'm just afraid that I'll buy today then tomorrow the most awesome light in the world will show up on the forums. But I guess that's the way of the world....I think I spend more time researching bike parts than actually riding.
    Reading helps till confusion sets in. I am not really worried about something better coming out, I just want something worry free that is pretty powerful. If it were just for commuting, my cygolite 150 would be just fine, for trail riding, not so much. Probably just use the cygolite on my helmet.......now if I could only decide on the bar light?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    Kinda like the flood of the NR for a bar light, runtime kinda makes me nervous but probably wouldn't need to run it on high all of the time. Honestly, I have never ridden with such bright lights, I live in Massachusetts so pretty thick rocky woods. Really unsure with how the reflective light would be. I like the idea of more side visibility with a flood but on a tight trail would more throw be better? I just don't know.
    On high, there is a good bit of surface light reflected back at you, and can wash out features. It's plenty of light on medium, until the speeds pick up.
    Really you want both flood and spot, and having only a flood or only a spot, leaves you wanting more of the other, no matter what the trail is like.

    I should add that I use the XML3 as my only light...on my helmet. Our trails are pretty tight, and it strikes a good balance of throw and flood for me, and how I use it. On the flip side, it might be considered a master of none, since it's neither a tight spot, nor a massive flood.

    Keep in mind, that whichever light you chose is probably going to drown out your 150 and make it virtually useless, beside being a backup.
    Since you're planning on getting a new helmet light too, maybe the NR is the best option, with a tight spot on the helmet.... Again, if they were not priced the same, I would suggest the XML3 and save the money.

    I can only assume the quality/durability of each product is about the same.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    On high, there is a good bit of surface light reflected back at you, and can wash out features. It's plenty of light on medium, until the speeds pick up.
    Really you want both flood and spot, and having only a flood or only a spot, leaves you wanting more of the other, no matter what the trail is like.

    I should add that I use the XML3 as my only light...on my helmet. Our trails are pretty tight, and it strikes a good balance of throw and flood for me, and how I use it. On the flip side, it might be considered a master of none, since it's neither a tight spot, nor a massive flood.

    Keep in mind, that whichever light you chose is probably going to drown out your 150 and make it virtually useless, beside being a backup.
    Since you're planning on getting a new helmet light too, maybe the NR is the best option, with a tight spot on the helmet.... Again, if they were not priced the same, I would suggest the XML3 and save the money.

    I can only assume the quality/durability of each product is about the same.
    How do you like the helmet mount on the XML. I have never used a helmet light, if I can get away with just using one light, that might be a good idea.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    How do you like the helmet mount on the XML. I have never used a helmet light, if I can get away with just using one light, that might be a good idea.
    I am definitely in the minority about only using 1 light. Most want to have 2 going... if for nothing else, they don't want to be suddenly in the dark, if one goes out while in motion. I'll probably pick up a light weight xml1 at some point, and put it on the bars, just for that reason and as a better back up. But I like having the majority of my lumens on my helmet, so I can point them where I'm looking. Helmet light is a must have for trails around here. The light itself is pretty light weight, so that's not an issue up on the lid.

    I like the helmet mount alright, and it's secure. It could always be lower profile, but it doesn't sit higher than most other lights, and uses the same style mount as many others do too. I have smacked it on a branch once, but I should've been paying attention, and it probably would have caught on any light, but the light didn't miss a beat.

    edit to add: On the helmet, there is sufficient enough flood that I can still see my front tire and what it's hitting, while pointing the beam up trail. Most of our trails are pretty tight and technical, so I'm hardly ever concerned about more than what's directly in front of me, anyway. So take my opinion for what it's worth, but the XML3 on the lid has been working great for me.
    Last edited by d365; 02-14-2012 at 11:46 AM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Glynis27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    792
    One thing to consider is Dinotte replacement batteries are significantly cheaper. $70 vs $179 ($150 on Amazon). I like having spares. I also love my XML-3.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    774
    It's been years since I had a NR light. Won't likely go back to NR due to the bad past experiences.

    Dinotte on the other had, I have a number of their lights. I would definitely put Dinotte quality much above NR. Customer server for Dinotte is also great. There earlier lights 200L, 600L were nice, had a decent amount of light (for their time) but lacked ability to be upgraded. The newer lights are even better. I have the 1200L and the XML-3 (used on helmet) and really like the newest lights they are putting out.

    The XML3 has a really good amount of throw, but still managers to be decently wide as well (no where close to the 1200L, but not many lights have anywhere near the spread of a 1200L)

    Given the choice between NR and Dinotte, for me it would be easy, Dinotte ever time.

    PS. I am not affiliated with Dinotte in any way other than being a happy customer.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rlb81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    256
    What did you wind up with? I picked up the dual XML-3, just came in today. My impressions are here:

    New Dinotte XML-3, replaces 800L-Plus
    Negative rep, please.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb81 View Post
    What did you wind up with? I picked up the dual XML-3, just came in today. My impressions are here:

    New Dinotte XML-3, replaces 800L-Plus
    Unfortunately haven't decided yet. I have 2 weeks to make my decision. Leaning towards the XML-3 though.

  19. #19
    night riding enthusiast
    Reputation: GraXXoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    265
    If you like flood and have a spare Geoman/Magicshine battery or two, the Gloworm X2 (a dual XM-L light) is a bargain at less than $100. It has a massively floody beam in the standard spot/wide config, but you can freely play with the optics such as choosing spot-spot combo for a little extra throw. Personally, I find the dual elliptical very good for riding in tight spaces (I'm predominately a road rider, though) and great as a flasher when commuting.

    Although it is new and thus durability-wise as yet untested, it does have a two year guarantee.
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •