Singletrack Addict!!!

Need advice Geoman's Magic Shine or Bike Ray II

Need an economical light for helmet mount and these two are at the top of the list. MS has a good battery with 1 year warranty but only 90 day warranty on the light itself, BR 1 year all parts. Which one would you get and why?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    I would go with the MS from Geoman for the battery. although the both have the same warranty on each battery the build on Geomans is comparable to what you would get on a high end light set hard plastic case and good attaching system and you cant go wrong with Panasonic cells for lifespan past your warranty period. Bikerays battery is still a mystery:
    I have 8 MS light heads and have had zero issues to date.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Most all of the MS issues since they first came out have been battery, charger, or connector problems. Most often, even before the recall they were battery problems. I have only one light head, but it has performed flawlessly. That, plus Geoman's customer service is second to none. Sure, you may get a longer warranty with BR, but I bet Geo would take care of you outside the warranty period if some weird defect emerged.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post
    Need an economical light for helmet mount and these two are at the top of the list. MS has a good battery with 1 year warranty but only 90 day warranty on the light itself, BR 1 year all parts. Which one would you get and why?
    Regardless of which one you choose I don't think you can go wrong. Both Geoman and BikerayUSA offer full warranties on their products. The MS light head offers a tight beam pattern perfect for helmet use. The Bikeray II was designed for bar use and offers a slightly wider beam pattern. If you want the tighter beam pattern in a Bikeray you would get the Bikeray I ( one ). I think the advantage of the Bikeray ( 1 or 2 ) is that the P-7 emitters they use are D-bin. The Magicshines on the other hand use the C-bins P-7's. Not a real lot of difference there but *I have a personal preference for the D-bin emitters which seem to appear not only a whiter tint but seem a little brighter. ( * from my experience with D and C bin torches )
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 06-10-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Thanks for the advice guys. Seems like I can choose either in terms of CS. I'd like to see a beam test for both lights, or at least for the BR, as there are plenty online of the MS. Another light that has came into the equation is the Jetlite A-51, thou double the price, I can get two of the others... anyway seems to be a good choice.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Have you considered the Bikeray III from Geoman with the Geoman battery?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Have you considered the Bikeray III from Geoman with the Geoman battery?
    He wants a helmet light, The Raylll is great on the bars but way too floody for a helmet.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Yeah, tempted by Ray's III high output, still doing research. Are both Geoman's and Bike BR chargers auto-off, I mean I don't like to be constantly reminding myself to unplug the batteries when done in order to avoid damaging them.

mtbr member
    Geomans will cut off power via charger after charge then to trickle I think, and battery after 5 hours completely , Rayll will be charger only. if the Raylll had a 15degree lens it would work for helmet but like it is with a 20 it will wash out the trail high up on your head, Ive been using it on the bars paired with a MS XML on my helmet, its a great combo.
    What do you currently have on the bars? if its a P7 throw that on your helmet and try a raylll for your bars.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 06-12-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I've never used handlebar light's, so far haven't needed them I guess. My current light, L&M Solo Logic's bat died and replacement one is out of the question $$$$. From the Ray III shots, output seems nice, but it appears I'll loose some distance illumination compared to the others??? Specially needed in high speed trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've never used handlebar light's, so far haven't needed them I guess. My current light, L&M Solo Logic's bat died and replacement one is out of the question $$$$. From the Ray III shots, output seems nice, but it appears I'll loose some distance illumination compared to the others??? Specially needed in high speed trails.
    So you use only a helmet spotty light? Like the MS 900? I'm asking this, as I am getting ready for a 24h race and will be my first time night riding.
    I was looking at MS 1400 or BikeRay III for the bar and MS900 on the helmet. But I will keep my money if I can get away with only one light

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Oh, and how is the shipping time from Geomangear?
    Good to hear their support is great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ovlaicu View Post
    So you use only a helmet spotty light? Like the MS 900? I'm asking this, as I am getting ready for a 24h race and will be my first time night riding.
    I was looking at MS 1400 or BikeRay III for the bar and MS900 on the helmet. But I will keep my money if I can get away with only one light
    if you're 24h racing then you really need 2 lights, even if one of them is only a back up (like a torch with a velcro strap), in case one dies out on a lap. It also depends on the terrain - tight and twisty but smooth tracks are ideal for a helmet light, but if it gets rocky or dusty a bar light is better (throws shadows highlighting rocks and doesn't reflect light off dust into your eyes). Ideally you'd have both

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    if you're 24h racing then you really need 2 lights, even if one of them is only a back up (like a torch with a velcro strap), in case one dies out on a lap. It also depends on the terrain - tight and twisty but smooth tracks are ideal for a helmet light, but if it gets rocky or dusty a bar light is better (throws shadows highlighting rocks and doesn't reflect light off dust into your eyes). Ideally you'd have both
    Well I was gonna say almost the same thing but you beat me to the punch.

Hard to believe that someone would consider doing a 24hr event with only one light and that helmet mounted to boot. For some reason there are still people who ride with only a helmet light. I don't quite understand it but if someone insisted on doing it I would have to recommend a light that has ample throw and lots of spill. There in lies the problem. When you need a light with a wide beam pattern it will rarely have decent throw.A light like that will usually cost some money.

Of course it would be easy for me to recommend something like the Bikeray IV ( which I am currently reviewing ). The Bikeray people keep telling me that the Ray IV works great on the helmet. Of course I've not used it on the helmet as I prefer such lights on the bars but yes, I suppose it could work. I will say this; If you did use a Ray IV on the helmet it would still give you a bit of light right directly in front of the bike even if it were aimed more forward. Like Matt said, you still need another light even if you only use it as back up. A nice 5-mode P-7 torch ( like the SF-15 ) mounted to the bars would make a great back-up ( or secondary ) light source. Of course for the cost of the torch, a hand full of batteries and a cheap 18650 cell charger you can almost buy another cheap MS P-7 light.

Relayden, No matter what you use on the helmet you still need something for back-up. Even if you just use it only for repairs. There is nothing more frightening than being caught back in the woods in the pitch black without a working light source. Your word for today, "Back-ups".
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 06-14-2011 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I agree about backups.
    I meant the working/running light.
    You bet I'll have 3 flashlights in my backpack Being lonely in the forest at night....brrrrrrrr

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Let me clarify, by saying I only use one light, means I only ride with one light, helmet. The other (led flashlight) it's in my pack A lot of my friends use both, but I just haven't had the need. I don't night ride often, say about 4 times per month and I have above average night vision, sometimes I ride light-less (which not everyone should do), only using my buddies light in front or rear, and they wonder how tha hell can I do it,( not in ubber fast trails, of course, only in tight and technical ones). I guess it's a matter of perspective, instinct and knowing your trail. Of course in a race there's no way I would only use one for obvious reasons already explained.

Still undecided... so many choices....

www.airbornemtb.org
    i have two ms lights from geoman, and one ray2 from bikerayusa. i prefer the beam of the ray2 regardless of whether its on the bars or helmet, its got a little more spread and a less defined hot spot in the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Let me clarify, by saying I only use one light, means I only ride with one light, helmet. The other (led flashlight) it's in my pack A lot of my friends use both, but I just haven't had the need. I don't night ride often, say about 4 times per month and I have above average night vision, sometimes I ride light-less (which not everyone should do), only using my buddies light in front or rear, and they wonder how tha hell can I do it,( not in ubber fast trails, of course, only in tight and technical ones). I guess it's a matter of perspective, instinct and knowing your trail. Of course in a race there's no way I would only use one for obvious reasons already explained.

Still undecided... so many choices....
    Okay, this does help clarify a bit. Sounds to me as though you are a minimalist. In other words, you don't always need a whole lot of light. If this is true you are a lot like me as I don't always need a whole lot of light to ride at night.

I was going to recommend that you consider using a torch as a helmet light but with helmet air vent configurations varying so much, not everyone can mount a torch to their helmet that easily. However, if you think it could work there are lots of choices in low cost torches with decent beam patterns and run time. For example: an Ultrafire 501-B torch host using an XM-L 5-mode drop in. Since you only need so much light I figure you could use the mid-mode ( close to 200lm ) and it would run nearly three hours on one 18650 cell. This particular drop-in has a nice medium wide beam and still has ample throw, not to mention the high setting is there if you need more. Torch use also has the advantage of not needing any wires coming off the helmet which is always a big, big plus.

If a torch won't work on your helmet then here are some other ideas that no one else mentioned yet: The Firefly from Light and Go and The Magicshine MJ-838. Both of these lights are similar however the MJ-838 doesn't include a helmet mount and is likely more spot beam oriented. Since the Firefly has a fluted lens ( and helmet mount ) the beam pattern will be more flood-ish which should serve your individual needs better. It is small and light weight. It is also possible to put both light and battery on the helmet which is always a big plus. The down side is price. The Firefly is almost the cost of a standard MS. With all things considered the Ray II would be the way to go ( as nick d recommended ) for a little more money. Hope these ideas help.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Ordered the Ray's II thanks to the advice here. Could I buy one of their batteries and use it on my L&M solo logic halogen? I guess all I need to do is splice and change connectors right?
    Last edited by Relayden; 07-02-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    So, been using the Ray's for a few rides now. I must say great product, more than enough illumination for me. Only thing is they're kinda bulky on top of your helmet, kinda like having a GoPro, so you have to be mindful of not hitting branches etc. Everything else is just great, nice flood and color, battery has gone a little above 3hrs, charger is good, accessories are good, shipping was fast and communication great. What else one can expect given the price?