The Dog.

Nano battery for magicshine?

Anyone have any idea where I could get/make something like this nano battery for lupines that would work with my magicshine 856? I'd just like the security of an extra 15-20 minutes of light in my pocket.

Thanks!

Nano battery

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You could make an adapter cable to use the Nano with your 856 or use the larger Magicshine 2-Cell Battery.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Something like this

Customized Li-ion 14500 Battery: 7.4 V 750mah (5.55wh) with PCB / custom connector

Swap the connector for one that fits your light. Additional waterproofing if needed and you are set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Something like this

Customized Li-ion 14500 Battery: 7.4 V 750mah (5.55wh) with PCB / custom connector

Swap the connector for one that fits your light. Additional waterproofing if needed and you are set.
    Will this battery require a new charger? The specs list the max. charge current at 0.75A, while my Magicshine charger has a rated output of 1.8A.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Will this battery require a new charger? The specs list the max. charge current at 0.75A, while my Magicshine charger has a rated output of 1.8A.
    My thoughts, likely a good idea to get the lower output charger for the two cell battery. I doubt the standard charger is adaptable to the two cell battery but I could be wrong about that. Strange I never thought about this before. I'm glad the subject came up because I've been thinking about buying some two cell batteries myself.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Yes, you would be best to get new charger that is rated at .75A. In regards to the Magicshine charger, I don't know how good a charger it is in the first place. Using it on the small capacity pack would work, but life of the pack will suffer. If you went with a 2 cell pack made with 18650 cells then the MS charger is fine. The pack would bigger by 4 mm thick and 15mm longer. Not much IMO. You would also have ~3x the capacity of the 14500 based pack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not quite as small as the Nano, but you can get one of these, which is half the size of the 4 cell MS battery. No need to rig up connectors and will work with the MS charger.

Oh, and cheaper then a Nano.

Edit - Oops, just saw that someone else provided a link to this battery already.

mtbr member
    Check out my post here on using RC batteries. They are ridiculously cheap and come in all types of capacity. What you are looking for is 7.4v or 2cell/2S batteries. You'll need a charger and to solder up a connector, but that's pretty easy.

Can I use my RC LiPo battery in my magicshine?

I've run a single 1600mah and it's super lightweight and is only $6.70. It should provide about 20 minutes on high.

1600mah 2s: Sky Lipo 1600mAh 7.4V 20C
    A simple charger for $12: HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy 2S 3S Balance Charger. Direct 110/240v Input
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    For a backup battery to be carried "in my pocket" as the OP suggests or in the hydration pack, I'd go with a 14500 or 18650 based pack. The metal case used on those cells is more rugged than even a hardcase RC type pack.

The Dog.
    Sweet. Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that MS made a 2-cell pack. And it comes with its own cute little case too! Perfect to throw on the frame for emergencies.

Thanks all? Good info here for sure.

The Dog.
    Sweet. Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that MS made a 2-cell pack. And it comes with its own cute little case too! Perfect to throw on the frame for emergencies.

Thanks all? Good info here for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dogdude, if you do decide to go with that battery from Action LED website, for $5 more, you may as well get the Mj 838 light set and get a 200 lumen light out of the deal.
    Action-LED-Lights — MJ-838 LED bike light set