Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

My Exposure Maxx-D

Hello, i recieved my maxx-d earlier this week and very impressed with the quality of this light.

My pervious lights were a set of Cateye 20ABS, which was 2 x 10watts and 2 stick batteries. This was a heavy set up and glad i took the plunge and brought a exposure maxx-d.

I read a couple of reviews and saw beam shots of the light before buying and it fullfilled my requirements in a new light. Lightweight, easy to use, long run times with modes and packed a massive 960lumens in such a small unit.

Below are a couple of pictures and beam shots, doesn't look very bright but thats down to poor camera settings, i'll try to get some better pictures out on the trail.

Thanks for looking, Elliott.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the review, I am trying to decide on whether I want to take the plunge on an Exposure system or not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    $$ shipped?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Keep an eye on the temperature and runtime. I do a regular friday night ride with guys from the local shop, who are a demo centre for Exposure and claim to be the first place to receive Maxx-daddys. Out of 5 Maxx-d's on the ride,1 had gone bad, overheated the previous time the owner used it (too hot to touch), and this ride it ran out of juice after less than 1.5 hours on high. A second owner was also showing "orange" on the battery indicator by then, and finished the ride on medium power (runtime on high is supposed to be over 3 hours). The other 3 units were fine, fantastic beam quality, heaps of light.
    I'm sure Exposure will sort it out, and their service (at least locally) is legendary, they provide loan lights through the shop while yours is in for repair.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I been out on a couple of rides, since i got it. The power settings are very helpful especially when on my commute, as on maxx its too bright and blinding to pedestains.

After a hour and a half, the orange light came on. This was using the maxx. Just to add the light didn't even get warm.

I havn't had much off road riding with the light yet, will update when i have had a bit more use. Very impressed with the light output. Constant beam till the edge of the light.

The light cost me 299.99

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott_MBR
    After a hour and a half, the orange light came on. This was using the maxx.
    But doesn't Exposure advertise the highest setting as a 3 hour burn time? You only got 1.5 hours, this is not good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    But doesn't Exposure advertise the highest setting as a 3 hour burn time? You only got 1.5 hours, this is not good.
    The LED on the back of the lights doubles as the "fuel" gauge and light output level. If it went to amber/orange at 1.5 hours this would be normal. It is designed to go to amber/orange at 50% battery life left...Then red @ 25%.

Light output-

MaXx- Green
    Ride- Orange
    Low- Red

Fuel Gauge-
    100-50% Green
    50-25% Orange
    25-5% Red
    5% Red Flash with cut down to low brightness setting then runs on the reserve fuel tank allowing for several hours of light to get out of the woods if needed.

Make sense?

Steve
    IBEX Sports
    Importer / Distributor for Exposure Lights, U.S.E. and VDO Cycle computers.

mtbr member
    I just got a MaXx D and the light is impressive. I love having no wires and I like the option to plug in an axillary battery for longer rides.

mtbr member
    Just a couple observations and comments...This is a nice looking light however I can't help but wonder just how stable it is with the mount so far up near the optics. I would think there would be quite a bit of rear end wobble due to the battery being so far from the mount.
    I have a feeling the photo doesn't do the light justice. With 4 led's the output should be competing with the Seca 700 and Dinotte 800L. I would love to see more beam pics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve@Exposure Lights USA
    The LED on the back of the lights doubles as the "fuel" gauge and light output level. If it went to amber/orange at 1.5 hours this would be normal. It is designed to go to amber/orange at 50% battery life left...Then red @ 25%.

Make sense?
    Got it, thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    As i mentioned, the light is brighter than what the picture shows. This is down to my camera and the settings i used.

There is NO wobble in the light, unlike my friends hope HID which has noticable wobble. Remember this light only weighs 340grams with the handlebar bracket.

Mentioned above about the amber light coming on after a hour and half would suggest the light is proforming properly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Maxx-D & Joystick

I just got this combo a couple weeks ago as well. I agree that the Maxx-D is perfectly stable on the bar. I don't notice a thing while it's on there except for a crapload of light shooting out in front of my bike. And the Joystick is, well, a joy. That is one handy little light....even other than biking. After the ride I can just pop it off my helmet, and with the long lanyard thingy around my neck, I have a flashlight so I can see what I am doing. I also run at night during the winter and plan on utilizing it there as well. As for light, more than I've ever used (had old halogen Turbocats before these,) so I'm pleased there. Oh, and did I mention the best part....NO WIRES! And no umpteen pound battery taking my bottle cage. And now I don't even have to have a Camelback to carry the umpteen pound battery for my helmet light. I guess you could say I like these lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte
    ...Maxx-D is perfectly stable on the bar. I don't notice a thing while it's on there except for a crapload of light shooting out in front of my bike. And the Joystick is, well, a joy...the best part....NO WIRES! And no umpteen pound battery ...I guess you could say I like these lights.
    +1 on the combo and the other stuff too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just placed my order with IBEX for the Maxx D, Joystick with the helmet mount and a head strap. I had been dealing with Steve but just missed him so I spoke to James, he was very informative. I got a great deal on my package and If all goes well I will be ordering more Exposure items from IBEX.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I rode with my new Maxx D and Joystick lights last night. All I can say is WOW! Very light weight with plenty of light. Although for comparison, I also had 2 MTE SSC P7's on the handlebars of another bike and they were almost as bright as the Maxx D. They work fine as an inexpensive alternative but with only one hour battery life. Sure you can carry extra batteries, but that is a pain to have to change them out while on a ride. With the Exposure set up you get 3 full hours on the max brightness!

My only issue is with the Maxx D, the word stamping and smart port on the Maxx D end cap were upside down from the mounting point. There doesn't seem to be any quality control to ensure this is aesthetically correct, as they seem to be in various positions on different Maxx D lights. To be fair though, this does not effect the operation of the light and you won't see it in the dark anyway. I am just anal about aesthetics.

I have one other issue with the Joystick helmet mount. My helmet is matte black and have noticed the helmet mount doesn't use any type of gasket to protect the outside of the helmet. I was told it shouldn't scratch or mark the helmet, if it isn't screwed to tightly. Well mine did mark the finish on my helmet and I didn't make it very tight. It seems the mount twists when you move the light, so marking will occur no matter what, at least on matte colored helmets. I am not sure if a rubber or cork gasket would help any.

Overall I am very happy with these lights and highly recommend them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I also had 2 MTE SSC P7's on the handlebars of another bike and they were almost as bright as the Maxx D. They work fine as an inexpensive alternative but with only one hour battery life. Sure you can carry extra batteries, but that is a pain to have to change them out while on a ride. With the Exposure set up you get 3 full hours on the max brightness!
    Yes the light is very bright and probably brighter out there, but i have the same opinion as you and that is that its light and cable/hassle free.

My only issue is with the Maxx D, the word stamping and smart port on the Maxx D end cap were upside down from the mounting point. There doesn't seem to be any quality control to ensure this is aesthetically correct, as they seem to be in various positions on different Maxx D lights. To be fair though, this does not effect the operation of the light and you won't see it in the dark anyway. I am just anal about aesthetics.
    Mines not that well positioned ever. When mounted the smart port socket is raised up from the button and not level with it.

Overall I am very happy with these lights and highly recommend them.
    Do you noticed a big difference when using the joystick with the maxx-d? I keep umming and arring with to get one as. The only advantage i can see with it is that i'll be able to see round corners sooner.

Glad your happy with your lights, get some shots if you can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well yes obviously the Maxx D is much brighter than the Joystick. But the Joystick has an adjustable helmet mount (best one out there), which is easily adjusted on the fly. Was great for moving the light direction to one side of the road, while looking straight ahead.

But on the Maxx D, I think the port socket should be positioned at the bottom on the back plate. Mine is on the top right. That is my biggest complaint, Exposure should ensure the back plate is properly positioned. If I could figure out how to uncap the plate I would move it myself.

Last edited by Resist; 12-11-2008 at 10:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone know where to get one in the US?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaktm
    Anyone know where to get one in the US?
    http://ibexsports.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ibex is the only U.S. retailer for these lights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I also have a 3 flashlight (MTE SSC P7's) light setup and find that the Exposure setup is so much faster to install on my bike and helmet. Even though the P7 setup cost less, it takes more time to strap them to my bike and helmet. I am more inclined to go night riding when hooking up my lights is much easier, as the Exposure lights are.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

piggyback battery

has anybody used the piggyback battery? how is the weight and where does it attach?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you mean where does it attach to the light....it plugs in the same outlet for recharging them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    sorry I wasn't sure how big it was and if it strapped to the helmet or if you put it in your pack or pocket etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmstrek8
    has anybody used the piggyback battery? how is the weight and where does it attach?

I have the bigger piggyback battery (4 cell?) It's about the same size as the built-in battery that comes with the MaXx D. It comes with a strap so you can put it on your frame or bars.

Maybe online they say how much it weighs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast