mtbr member

MTE-15 VS. XML from Kaidomain

OK, got my XML P60 flashlight today from Kaidomain. I guess it showed up pretty quick compared to what you guys have reported. Build quality between the two? I'd give a big nod to the MTE. When you screw the back cap on when installing a battery, the MTE has buttery smooth threads. The Kaidomain is an Ultrafire 501 body and the threads are OK but a little grindy feeling. Also, the battery is a little bit loose and rattles around a little bit.

The important part: I can't see a difference between the brightness of the P7 MTE-15 or the XML. They are both bright as heck. The beam of the MTE is better though. The XML has a bit of a hollow spot where the P7 MTE is a solid spot. They both spill about the same and both light up the house about 200 yards away about the same. I guess the only advantage is that the XML is smaller and lighter.

That's it for now....
    Last edited by gticlay; 01-13-2011 at 06:34 AM.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    OK, got my XML P20 flashlight today from Kaidomain. I guess it showed up pretty quick compared to what you guys have reported. Build quality between the two? I'd give a big nod to the MTE. When you screw the back cap on when installing a battery, the MTE has buttery smooth threads. The Kaidomain is an Ultrafire 501 body and the threads are OK but a little grindy feeling. Also, the battery is a little bit loose and rattles around a little bit.

The important part: I can't see a difference between the brightness of the P7 MTE-15 or the XML. They are both bright as heck. The beam of the MTE is better though. The XML has a bit of a hollow spot where the P7 MTE is a solid spot. They both spill about the same and both light up the house about 200 yards away about the same. I guess the only advantage is that the XML is smaller and lighter.

That's it for now....
    XML P-20 ? Do you mean a torch using a XML P-60 drop-in? I'm just trying to figure out what you are comparing. If your comparing the XML drop-in to the MTE SF-15....Yes, the SF-15 ( D-bin P-7 ) with the wider reflector gives much better spill but as you said, both are very bright.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have both of these and plan on doing beam shots soon!

The SF-15 has been hard to beat, smalllest and most powerful of my non P60 lights.

GTI, is your LED slightly off centre on your drop in?

On mine the XML seems a slightly smoother beam that the P7-D.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    XML P-20 ? Do you mean a torch using a XML P-60 drop-in? I'm just trying to figure out what you are comparing. If your comparing the XML drop-in to the MTE SF-15....Yes, the SF-15 ( D-bin P-7 ) with the wider reflector gives much better spill but as you said, both are very bright.
    Oops, typo. Fixed.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy82
    I have both of these and plan on doing beam shots soon!

The SF-15 has been hard to beat, smalllest and most powerful of my non P60 lights.

GTI, is your LED slightly off centre on your drop in?

On mine the XML seems a slightly smoother beam that the P7-D.
    No sir, mine is centered. The color seems a little more white on the XML and the P7 is very slightly blue.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm very curious about how well these XML dropins perform. How is the XML dropin handling the heat? Did you have to wrap the dropin with aluminum foil to improve the heat transfer? Have you measured the current consumption of the lights?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desolder
    I'm very curious about how well these XML dropins perform. How is the XML dropin handling the heat? Did you have to wrap the dropin with aluminum foil to improve the heat transfer? Have you measured the current consumption of the lights?
    Seems fine so far but I'll have to take the dogs for a little longer walk to know for sure. The MTE gets pretty warm, but not hot.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Had a play with reflectors last night and found a SMO XPG with a large enough hole to fit the XM-L and it keeps the beam smooth, but gives it much better throw than standard, the standard reflector seem to be same as my SST-50 one which has a much bigger die!

XM-L will now take pride of place!

mtbr member
    I think my xml is running cooler than the P7 does which is nice considering the smaller form.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I think my xml is running cooler than the P7 does which is nice considering the smaller form.
    The XML has a very low thermal resistance between the LED junction and slug. If you have a very good thermal connection from the LED to the body of the flashlight, You should see the flashlight body get hotter than with earlier LEDs. The goal here is to keep the junction temp of the LED as low as possible. That's accomplished by getting the heat out of the LED and into the flashlight body so it can be dissipated.

If your XLM flashlights aren't getting very warm, then that tells me the thermal path to the body isn't very good or it's running at a pretty low current. Which means the body is staying cooler but the LED junction is very hot.
    Last edited by MtbMacgyver; 01-14-2011 at 10:13 AM.

mtbr member
    gticlay, have you seen the thermal imaging I did of my P60 mc-e flashlights? You can really tell how much better they transmit heat after wrapping the dropins with foil. If your xml dropin light isn't getting hot then the heat is not getting out of the dropin like it should.

left has no foil, middle has 2 wraps but kind of loose, right has 2+ wraps and was very tight to push the dropin back in.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    A couple nights ago I wrapped mine in the foil I cut from a gas burner liner. It's a little thicker than standard Aluminum foil . I still wish I had some good copper thermal ( sticky ) tape but this will have to do for now. I noticed right away that it was getting hotter much faster than it did before.

mtbr member
    It gets fairly warm - but *compared* to the P7, it seems to run cooler.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My P60 XML from KD was REALLY bright, I liked it but sub 5mins on it and first outting my aging first MC-E was leaving it for dead, I'd bet heat damaged

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Bummer, Turveyd. These high power dropins should come with a warning for the user to only use them a few minutes at a time. Or to wrap them with foil so the heat will transfer out to the flashlight body and prevent the LED from self-destructing from excessive heat. Drop-ins have inherently bad LED heatsinking ability.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Bummer, Turveyd. These high power dropins should come with a warning for the user to only use them a few minutes at a time. Or to wrap them with foil so the heat will transfer out to the flashlight body and prevent the LED from self-destructing from excessive heat. Drop-ins have inherently bad LED heatsinking ability.

Alu likely from a coke can sliced up and wrapped around it making for a nice tight heat transfering fit already

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    My P60 XML from KD was REALLY bright, I liked it but sub 5mins on it and first outting my aging first MC-E was leaving it for dead, I'd bet heat damaged

Yep, mine is really bright as well. I have the same fear that what happened with yours will happen with mine. Since the reflector is very important to sink heat away you want to make sure the reflector is as tight as you can get it. Hopefully the aluminum strips I'm using will help provide a better thermal path. This is one of reasons I don't like drop-in's. They really aren't designed for constant-on usage. Still, the one I have has a very good mid-mode. If I use high for only fast/down-hill stuff I'm hoping it will last. I'm not really into winter MTB'ing anymore so it won't be till spring until I can put it to the ( longer running ) test.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Like the last XP-G I bought, which was SUPER bright for 2 seconds then DEAD and burnt out, might of been a driver issue and maybe it wasn't supposed to be as bright as it was

Although you'd expect it to keep burning it out and not stabilize around maybe 400lumen area.

Still tad brighter than the P60 MC-E it replaced I think, which was 2years old and heat damaged to no doubt. I used to run it on Medium and save Full for fast stuff only, but leant it out and they don't understand

mtbr member
    How about using that thermal paste? Would that stuff help?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I tried it, it knackered the connection power wise and kept cutting out

If you could find some conduction paste then maybe.