Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

Mtbr Lights Shootout Update

It's finally coming out starting today. The Lux Measurement page has been updated:
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/lights-...-measurements/

The Beam Pattern Photos and indidvidual light reviews will start getting published today. Look for them on this page:
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/category/lights-shootout/

fc

It's always greener
    ..and not a minute too soon...I'm about to pull the trigger on an Exposure system (2009 joystick and endurance), but would love to see the updated results to see if I should take another direction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What no video report about the Exposure Maxx D?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You need to update your chart, the HIDTech should specify Lumen8r model (Triple) and price, its $415 or 455 AUD (depending on battery) which includes GST and free shipping, so its really $369 or $405 AUD for non-AU residents (they don't pay GST) which is much significantly cheaper than the competition. Depending on your payment service, expect to pay 2-3% in currency changing fees to arrive at the delivered cost. The USD is very strong right now, so you get the most for the least.

Capricious youth...
    Holy crap, I didn't even know Exposure had a new Enduro MaXx-D out. That's insane!

I love my Enduro Maxx that I bought almost exactly one year ago, and it's fantastic.

I can't even fathom why you'd need 960 Lumens over the standard Enduro MaXx's 720 Lumens.

But some people just need more, I supposed.
    Meh.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    What no video report about the Exposure Maxx D?
    Video... tempting. Then I wouldn't have to write so much.

How is your Maxx D so far?

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti
    You need to update your chart, the HIDTech should specify Lumen8r model (Triple) and price, its $415 or 455 AUD (depending on battery) which includes GST and free shipping, so its really $369 or $405 AUD for non-AU residents (they don't pay GST) which is much significantly cheaper than the competition. Depending on your payment service, expect to pay 2-3% in currency changing fees to arrive at the delivered cost. The USD is very strong right now, so you get the most for the least.
    Good info. I will look into it. That pricing looks like a moving target though with the exchange rates.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Holy crap, I didn't even know Exposure had a new Enduro MaXx-D out. That's insane!

I love my Enduro Maxx that I bought almost exactly one year ago, and it's fantastic.

I can't even fathom why you'd need 960 Lumens over the standard Enduro MaXx's 720 Lumens.

But some people just need more, I supposed.
    There's a very good reason for the MaXx D... beam width. It is significantly wider and is quite a bit more usable at high speed.

fc

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Video... tempting. Then I wouldn't have to write so much.

How is your Maxx D so far?
    Well you did do a short video about other Exposure Maxx lights.

I really like my Maxx D so far, it's lighter than I thought it would be. I don't understand why the rear end cap stamping isn't aligned correctly though, mine is upside down. Seems like this is something the company could have easily controlled during construction of the lights.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Good info. I will look into it. That pricing looks like a moving target though with the exchange rates.

fc
    It would be most fair to list all lights in the same currency (USD) and then just put a footnote as most readers are too lazy to read the details and will pass up the great value simply because they think its $415 or 450 dollars rather than around $250 or 300 USD - ie much cheaper than the competition. Most of the other brands also don't including shipping in their prices either (though the CC exchange fee makes that difference about half as much).

Its not a moving target if you list in AUD and explain check www.xe.com for current exchange rates. The 2-3% conversion fee is also fixed by your credit card company (I assume paypal also charges for it, not sure though?).
    Last edited by syadasti; 12-13-2008 at 04:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Francosis wrote: ( * about the HIDtech Lumen8R ).....Good info. I will look into it. That pricing looks like a moving target though with the exchange rates.
    Just give us the price in AUD and let us do the conversion. In the Lux shoot out, did you use the Triple version or the Quad Cree R-2 of the HIDtech Lumen8R ?? Wow!...I am really impressed with the Light On! 900 If it had a low and flash setting it would be almost perfect. Only two hours on high but WOW..is it Freaking bright or what! The BR Lights C2K is Awesome as well although it is much warmer in color. I can't find the link though that shows what this light looks like. ( edit: BR Lights link > http://www.brlights.com/index.html ) I wonder what LED they are using...MC-E K bin?
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 12-13-2008 at 04:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Just give us the price in AUD and let us do the conversion. In the Lux shoot out, did you use the Triple version or the Quad Cree R-2 of the HIDtech Lumen8R ??
    Its the triple with Lipo. AUD would mislead if everything else is in USD as some people will miss the note (thats why you don't see any experiments were tables have mixed measurement units - bad/misleading format - really basic stuff they teach you in science class in grade school). There does need to be a note about the battery options as almost all the other brands use the cheaper lion batteries.

Wow!...I am really impressed with the Light On! 900 If it had a low and flash setting it would be almost perfect. Only two hours on high but WOW..is it Freaking bright or what! The BR Lights C2K is Awesome as well although it is much warmer in color. I can't find the link though that shows what this light looks like. ( edit: BR Lights link > http://www.brlights.com/index.html ) I wonder what LED they are using...MC-E K bin?
    Light On! has two modes (50% and 100%) - http://lightonlights.com/product/ - note it uses standard protected 18650 cells - that means you can buy a spare set (or replacement cells) from DX for $20! FYI, the dial based control is on the battery holder. More info.

BR Lights uses MCE K bin - sorry no link but I emailed them about it about a month ago or so. The beamshots here look more blue, maybe it was a fluke?
    Last edited by syadasti; 12-13-2008 at 05:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti
    Its the triple with Lipo. AUD would mislead if everything else is in USD as some people will miss the note (thats why you don't see any experiments were tables have mixed measurement units - bad/misleading format - really basic stuff they teach you in science class in grade school). There does need to be a note about the battery options as almost all the other brands use the cheaper lion batteries.

Light On! has two modes (50% and 100%) - http://lightonlights.com/product/ - note it uses standard protected 18650 cells - that means you can buy a spare set (or replacement cells) from DX for $20! FYI, the dial based control is on the battery holder. More info.

BR Lights uses MCE K bin - sorry no link but I emailed them about it about a month ago or so. The beamshots here look more blue, maybe it was a fluke?
    Check your link again. The BR Lights C2K is very white. The photos of the bluer ones look to be different models. I think by next year you are going to see more two x MC-E lights being made. 1000 widely dispersed lumens makes an Awesome bar light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Check your link again. The BR Lights C2K is very white. The photos of the bluer ones look to be different models. I think by next year you are going to see more two x MC-E lights being made. 1000 widely dispersed lumens makes an Awesome bar light.
    I meant the brlights beamshot K looks bluer than the backyard K photo on mtbr, it looks yellow when you compare them.

Answer from BRlights:

They were taken with different cameras with different white balance settings. Also the shots on our site were taken facing a white wall, outdoor shots are going to tend to reflect a bit more yellow than a flat white wall (especially considering our shot is white balanced for the wall). If you compare the indoor C2.1-H shots from our blog to the ones on MTBR you’ll notice it looks more yellow in the MTBR shots as well for the same reason. The C2-K has a lot less blue tint to the light color and approximates daylight much better. The MTBR shots are a good representation of what to expect when using the C2-K outdoors.
    Last edited by syadasti; 12-14-2008 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member

I'll do the other graphs later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Where did you get $430 for the Exposure Maxx D? Try $399 and currently $349 on sale.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Francois, I'm wondering if you're including the Lupine Tesla in this new review. If not, You should

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    wow the AYUPs have awesome runtime-weight figures!

francois,
    i noticed that ayups are now 320 lumens instead of the 280 u've listed.

swag ho Administrator
    Thank you for all the corrections and suggestions so far.

I just got the Tesla in my greedy little hands. I'll find one of them Cygolites too.

fc

BBW
    mtbr member

I just got the Tesla in my greedy little hands.

fc
    nice!! I think is a good option from Lupine, specially since the medium setting is really good and gives you 9 hours!! I love mine

swag ho Administrator
    2009 beam patterns added:
    http://www.mtbr.com/beamcomparisoncrx.aspx

Ayup and Dinotte 400L reviews are up.
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/category/lights-shootout/

fc
    Last edited by francois; 12-19-2008 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Francois, I checked the beamshots and the Seca looks really dim, are you sure it was on the high beam?
    Another surprise is the BR Lights C2K, which looks almost as bright as the 30W HID (does it in reality?). Competition is really heating up. Nice ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Again, where do you get that the Exposure Maxx D cost $430? Its regular price is only $399.
    Last edited by Resist; 12-16-2008 at 03:55 PM.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    Francois, I checked the beamshots and the Seca looks really dim, are you sure it was on the high beam?
    Another surprise is the BR Lights C2K, which looks almost as bright as the 30W HID (does it in reality?). Competition is really heating up. Nice ;-)
    Good observations.

I will reshoot the Seca tonight with the Lupine Tesla just to triple check. I've ridden a bit with the Seca and it does seem brighter than that. It might camera shy.

The BR Lights is interesting. It uses the new Cree lights with 4 LEDs in each circuit/reflector. So effectively, there's 8 LEDs in that thing. Run time goes down to 2.25 hours. The color is warmer than the rest too.

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    Again, where do get that the Exposure Maxx D cost $430? Its regular price is only $399.
    I'll fix that.

fc

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast