mtbr member
    May 2005

MS 900 or 1000 6 ah runtimes?

Anyone have a firm runtime for these for the GeomanGear 6 AH battery?

I am most interested in the low setting, 10.5 hrs on the 1000 and 13hrs on the 900 is what is advertised. I would suppose that if you guys are getting close to the advertised runtime on high that would translate to the low runtime as well. I have the 4.5ah versions and they are fairly close but thought I'd check.

I'm doing some multi-day self supported racing and want to get away from my AA lights for at least one of them, likely be riding for 24-36 hrs straight.

Thanks!
    Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

GeoMan
    Hi Sean
    From memory those runtimes on low with 6.0Ah battery packs were fairly conservative as being out for extended periods can sometimes include operating in very cool temps.
    Thanks
    GeoMan

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    Anyone have a firm runtime for these for the GeomanGear 6 AH battery?

I am most interested in the low setting, 10.5 hrs on the 1000 and 13hrs on the 900 is what is advertised. I would suppose that if you guys are getting close to the advertised runtime on high that would translate to the low runtime as well. I have the 4.5ah versions and they are fairly close but thought I'd check.

I'm doing some multi-day self supported racing and want to get away from my AA lights for at least one of them, likely be riding for 24-36 hrs straight.

Thanks!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks GM for the quick , so I can feel comfortable with advertised runtimes on a new properly charged and broke in battery? I'll be taking 3 batteries with likely the 900 for a worst case 30 hrs of darkness in Arizona in April. Of course I'll have some backup lights.

GeoMan
    Yes I think you will be fine with that setup, I assume you are doing the AZT300!
    The Arizona Trail Race - 300 and 750 Mile Mountain Bike Races
    Good luck, that's a great challenge

Thanks GM for the quick , so I can feel comfortable with advertised runtimes on a new properly charged and broke in battery? I'll be taking 3 batteries with likely the 900 for a worst case 30 hrs of darkness in Arizona in April. Of course I'll have some backup lights.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Hey Sean
    Just thought I'd mention this in case you were interested. Since you are likely to do a ton of hike-a-bike and you'll likely have your lighthead mounted on your helmet for the entire event, you may want to consider the Gemini Xera lighthead only. The lighthead weighs 52grams and is easily programmed to any output level from 10% -100%, meaning you could have 3 levels 10% for hike-a-bike and searching through your equipment, 40% for slow climbing and 100% for descending. Using a setup like this you may only need to carry 2 batteries and shaving grams on a self supported endurance event can really help. The Xera is available as a lighthead only and as a complete lightset. Just a thought as 52 grams on the helmet is half the weight of the MS900 you mentioned. Here's a link to the lighthead in case you want to check it out, also it is programmable on the fly if those levels aren't cutting it on the trail.

Gemini XERA LED Lighthead [GM Xera LH] - $79.95 : GeoMan Gear, The best products, the best prices, & Lightnin Fast service!

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    May 2005

Thanks!

Once again thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it's AZ300 for me, really looking forward to it. I'll look into the Xera. I will be buying a couple of batteries as it is and although I need another light like I need a hole in the head, I may just do that. Of course I'll get it from you guys.

GeoMan
    Awesome thanks for the support and enjoy the event, should be at least a few Tucson locals involved

Once again thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it's AZ300 for me, really looking forward to it. I'll look into the Xera. I will be buying a couple of batteries as it is and although I need another light like I need a hole in the head, I may just do that. Of course I'll get it from you guys.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    One advantage not mentioned by Geoman is that the Gemini Xera is much more effecient in its use of battery power. If you look at Geoman's claimed runtime @ max for the Xera compared to an MS 808e the Xera will run about an hour extra on a 6ah battery even though it's light output is 10-15% more (measured not claimed). If the effeciency @ lower power levels is similar that would be over 20% more runtime while still being brighter which I think would be a big benefit for the type of useage you have in mind.

GeoMan
    Agreed thanks for the addition Mr Mole, Chris at Gemini did a great job, the 2nd generation Xera lightheads improved efficiency dramatically over the first generation prototypes we tested.

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    One advantage not mentioned by Geoman is that the Gemini Xera is much more effecient in its use of battery power. If you look at Geoman's claimed runtime @ max for the Xera compared to an MS 808e the Xera will run about an hour extra on a 6ah battery even though it's light output is 10-15% more (measured not claimed). If the effeciency @ lower power levels is similar that would be over 20% more runtime while still being brighter which I think would be a big benefit for the type of useage you have in mind.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My run time test on the Gen1 got 7.5 hours on the default med setting with the 4-cell pack fan cooled outside. I found it comparable in output to my P-7 MS on full blast. Gen2 should be better in every way. Xera would be a good option!!