mtbr member

Mounting my Camping Lights - Fenix HL21 & E21

Buddy and I are going to try night riding here in Toronto. I already have Fenix HL21 and E21 for camping: is that enough coverage and lumens?

Fenix makes a bike mount for the E21, assuming this is suitable for MTB or will it bounce around?

How do I mount HL21 to helmet?
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    What helmet do you have? Can you just pull the strap of the HL over the helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Van G View Post

If you dont already have amount for it, you can use duck tape for now.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Buddy and I are going to try night riding here in Toronto. I already have Fenix HL21 and E21 for camping: is that enough coverage and lumens?

Fenix makes a bike mount for the E21, assuming this is suitable for MTB or will it bounce around?

My 2. If I am not mistaken the HL21 is about 100 lumens while the E21 is about 150. You can night ride with those outputs on gravel paths but not the 3Rs - root, rock & ruts. I rode with less than that when I transitioned from halogen to LED torches. You'd appreciate much higher outputs with night riding. Go riding with the lights you have and upgrade when budget permits. There's heaps of discussion on value-for-money light heads in this forum. Choose based on user reviews.

Mounting a small torch is easy. Cut a little block of polystyrene. All you need is 2x2x2 inches high. Use a box cutter or Dremel to shape the block. Shave a U shape to recess 25% of the torch tube. Place the torch on it then check the torch angle to the chosen location on the helmet. The best location will not be in the middle of the helmet but the side about the 11.30 or 12.30 o'clock positions, face on. The spot should allow you to fit either two velcro straps or zip ties to secure the torch and block to the helmet.

Shape the bottom of the block so it sits nicely between or on vents. Torch should be facing up a little and not parallel to the helmet. Bear in mind a worn helmet is mostly lower at the front than the back. Polystyrene is soft enough to compress. So tighten the front or back velcro or zip-tie get the sweet spot. You can still adjust this on the trail with a velcro strap. Perfect angle and fit? Remove the whole thing and coat the polystyrene block with silicone caulk. It's a bit messy but use your finger to coat it. Why do this? The polystyrene won't shed snow flakes over time. It will stay as you shaped it. An alternative to polystyrene is a pencil eraser.

For the HL, I suggest you remove the elastic strap and either use zip-ties or velcro straps to secure the back plate against your helmet through vents like you would with a bike light helmet mount.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Good advice. Thanks. We played around with them last night and the got the helmet mounted no problem with Velcro cable straps. My buddy already had the Fenix bike mount which worked with both our little torches.

Will experiment with these tomorrow and see if we want to take up night rides and then go from there. Fenix makes there 'dual beam' lights for around $120. Will read the forums and see what works for others.
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    So much for that setup - mtbRevolution - your 2 pennies was spot on - need more light in order to ride at an enjoyable/challenging speed.

I am now on the hunt for proper head and helmet setup. Will read the forums but if you are in the know, feedback is appreciated.

Hopefully I can add a few options from Amazon and wait for holiday sales to kick in!
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    So much for that setup - mtbRevolution - your 2 pennies was spot on - need more light in order to ride at an enjoyable/challenging speed.

I am now on the hunt for proper head and helmet setup. Will read the forums but if you are in the know, feedback is appreciated.

Hopefully I can add a few options from Amazon and wait for holiday sales to kick in!
    Yes, you'd need more light on the helmet if you want to really enjoy night riding. If budget is tight then move both Fenix to the bars for now. If possible get reflector-based helmet lights rather than of TIR or aspherics. Aim for longer throw and wider beam pattern since this will be your primary light. Orange peel reflector designs still achieve light throw better than aspherics.

There are good options nowadays. Spend $25-$35 on light head only is one way to go. You'd still need a good reliable battery and charger to give you predictable runtime. Consider that and possible warranty & DOA issues when making your decision. You can ride with higher confidence with say the 119g BT-20. Fenix makes fantastic torches. If you ask for my biased recommendation then, the 60 gram Spiker 1211 light head with Samsung 5200mAh battery in neoprene pouch providing up to 5 hours 30 mins on maximum brightness.
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My two cents worth is Skip Ebay. You never know what you're getting off Ebay. Could be the gold standard, or sweapings from the factory floor, or stuff that was picked out of the trash after failing even Chinese "quality control".

The price difference is minimal at best, and frequently higher on Ebay than some of the retailers recomended on this forum. Customer service from many Ebay retailers is vertually nonexistant.

And as always, if you're comparing two adverts - read Everything Very Carefully. It may look exactly the same, but somewhere in the fine print there may be a difference. (eg - Found a light head only deal for a unit well liked on this forum. Almost bought it. Cat pointed out that it had a different driver & was missing the Mid mode. I hadn't noticed that.)
    Last edited by Ian_C; 09-26-2013 at 08:50 AM.

mtbr member
    I'd prefer to get setup right the first time and just enjoy. Don't want to blow the bank but I could budget $250 to get me completely setup with head and bar lights - say 2-3 hours run time on the trails with enough lumens so I can ride fast and technical.

The Fenix BT-20 is $125 - would two of those be a good setup for bar and head?

Would have my two existing Fenix lights as emerg light on the trails.

Not sure if this factors in, but I have a good number of AA NiMH recharables (2500 mAh). Neighbour has Powerex charger and eneloop batteries as well which I would purchase if workable into a system.

Reputable dealers?
    Cheers,

Van G

mtbr member
    I'd prefer to get setup right the first time and just enjoy. Don't want to blow the bank but I could budget $250 to get me completely setup with head and bar lights - say 2-3 hours run time on the trails with enough lumens so I can ride fast and technical.

The Fenix BT-20 is $125 - would two of those be a good setup for bar and head?

Would have my two existing Fenix lights as emerg light on the trails.

Not sure if this factors in, but I have a good number of AA NiMH recharables (2500 mAh). Neighbour has Powerex charger and eneloop batteries as well which I would purchase if workable into a system.

Reputable dealers?
    It comes down to your personal preference. I have not used the BT20 before but judging from beamshots and reviews, it's probably a better bar light than a helmet light. Getting two of the same will basically cover the same area twice albeit a different source angle.

The battery holder for 2 x 18650 won't get you very far. You can get the BT20 from Jim Harger at Action LED. He's very reputable. Ask him what he thinks of higher capacity Li-ion batteries you can use with the BT.

Having the other two Fenix as emergency/redundancy is a great idea. Generally AA is no good with bike lights unless they are torches. Better to get a ready made Li-ion pack rather than tinkering with AAs.
    mtbRevolution.com