mtbr member
    Oct 2010

MJ-808e or Bikeray?

I am about to upgrade my light and I was going to get the MJ-808e head only for $55.
    Then I saw that Bikeray is selling theirs as head only.
    The Bikeray III is $94.99 and Bikeray IV is $124.99.
    I could not find much in the way of beam shots for the Bikeray III.
    This is for road riding so I am more interested in throw, but some flood would be helpful.
    Also I would like something with an even beam pattern with no hot spots.
    I am willing to spend the extra money for the Bikeray if there is some benefit compared to the MJ-808e. I don't want to go over $100 but again if the Bikeray IV is worth the extra money I would consider it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    I am about to upgrade my light and I was going to get the MJ-808e head only for $55.
    This is for road riding so I am more interested in throw, but some flood would be helpful.
    I am willing to spend the extra money for the Bikeray if there is some benefit compared to the MJ-808e. I don't want to go over $100 but again if the Bikeray IV is worth the extra money I would consider it.
    If throw is what you want go for the 808e I know a few roadies that are using them for the bars.I have a RayIII also,, it makes a decent flood light but no throw, needs to be in combo with a helmet light to be effective.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I agree with Rakuman. I own a BikeRay IV and it doesn't have enough throw to be used as a road light. If you go to the Geomangear website they have some beam shots of the ray III and the MS 808 (I think it's the old P7 model which has the same beam pattern but about 50% less power than an 808e). You should also check out the gemini Xera, which is what I would buy if I were in your situation. The light heads go fo about $80 which is in your price range, they have more power (71 lux vs. 62 lux measured in the MTBR light shootout), are half the size of the 808e, and for some reason they have a considerably longer runtime on high (according to the runtime estimates provided by geoman with thier batteries). I hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    I own all the lights you are interested in. I pretty much agree with what the others have said. The 808E is the lamp I prefer on the road because of it's ability to throw. The Bikeray III runs a close second because it has a nice flash mode included in the main menu. The 808E has a nice flash as well but in a secondary menu. The Ray III has a wider beam pattern that is even and smooth. This sometimes is handy to have depending on what kind of roads you are riding. I've never really used the Ray IV as a road light. It does have a bit more throw than the Ray III and a wider beam pattern. I suppose you could use it on the road but it would be a bit of overkill IMO.

Another important issue is run time. All of these lamps get close to 3hrs on high. The real issue is the lower modes. The BR's with their wider beam patterns are not as impressive in the one lower mode they offer. The 808E with it's three steady state modes ( H-M-L ( Geoman three mode version.... ) has a very impressive mid-mode which is what I tend to use most of the time. With that said, even the low mode is not shabby.

With all things considered, none of the BR's can beat the throw of the 808E. As such it is my road lamp of choice at the moment. If I decide to do back road riding ( dirt roads/gravel ) I'll likely use the Ray III on the bars and a nice XPE torch on the helmet for added throw when needed.

( edit: parting comment.....a Bikeray IV on the bars and 808E on the helmet make an awesome combo. )

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for all the great feedback.
    Looks like I am going with my first instinct and getting the MJ-808E