mtbr member

MJ-808 clone tripping protection circuit

My MJ-808 clone recently started tripping the protection circuit on any battery that it's plugged into. It varies how long it takes but usually around 20 min. I have to plug the battery into a charger to reset it. Any idea on a fix for this? The batteries work fine with my other light heads.

mtbr member
    Maybe a short? Does it happen if you just let it sit on a table 20 minutes? Or only if you're riding & bouncing it around? Have you opened it up to have a look?

-Garry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is the case getting hot? Could be bad thermal path, i.e. the heat can't get to the outside case and just keeps getting hotter on the inside.

mtbr member
    It's not hot.
    I haven't opened it yet, I'll do that tonight or tomorrow.
    I haven't tested it when I'm not riding.
    After it trips a battery I can plug it into another right away and it will work.
    The last time it happened I turned the light off waiting to regroup and it wouldn't turn back on and the battery was tripped.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I would be tempted just to get a Yinding in your situation, or a BT21 or Solarstorm X2.

mtbr member
    Yeah I already have two bt-21's. I just ordered the spot optics from action led for the helmet light.
    I just like the super tight/long throw flashlight beam I get with the clone I have and it uses less battery.
    We'll see how the bt-21 is with the glo-worm optics.

mtbr member
    You can get 808 clones as cheap as $8. Open 'er up and if you don't find something obvious buy another one.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    You can get 808 clones as cheap as $8. Open 'er up and if you don't find something obvious buy another one.

-Garry
    That's what I figured. I just didn't know if there was a common cause for this.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking along the same lines as Garry. Likely you have an intermittent short in one of the connector plugs or plug wires. Sometimes you can find it if you turn the lamp on and start flexing/bending the wire in various areas to try to isolate it. If you can isolate where the I.S. is you should be able to buy a typical MS type extension cord and splice in the plug/cord to the side that is bad. Of course like Garry said the 808 type clones are very inexpensive so buying a new lamp head might mean you can buy something better.

*edit, Sorry I missed the part where you said the battery worked fine with the other lamps. Likely the bad side is the side with the lamp. Just be sure to flex/bend the wire near the lamp just to make sure the problem isn't inside the lamp or you will have to open up the lamp to fix it.