mtbr member
    Dec 2008

mitycross 400 vs piko vs dinotte 400l

I'm trying to decide on my first bike light and have narrowed the choice down to these 3 options. I like the idea of something that is light weight and could also been worn on a head band for trail running. Down the road I might get a second bar mounted light for serious trail riding. The Lupine quality, weight and brightness intrigues me but is it worth the extra cost for technology that is constantly involving. Thanks for your input.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    I own a Mitycross 400 and a 400L, not a Piko. I like the Dinotte more than the Cygolite as far as looks but the Mitycross 400 is brighter and has a much nicer, warmer tint than the Dinotte. The coolness of the Dinotte has always been what I don't like about it. Headband mount on the Dinotte is excellent. Advantage of the Dinotte is the variety of lenses available for it - spot, med-flood and flood.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well Markmaxwell,,you clearly have good tast.Any of the three are very good choices.Previously an owner of a Triden X,and now Lupine i can say first hand both are great products.And based on some posts i've read the Dinotte is very good as well.The Mity cross 400 will be a little bigger and guessing probably a little less than 400 measured lumens out the front,it has now an on the fly programming feature to customize output and run times like the Lupines.Will wait for a response on the Dinotte as i havent seen this product in action myself.By far, the Piko is the best of the bunch in output and weight with a true 550 lumens output out the front,and in a couple photo comparisons,it to me looked easilyas bright as the Tesla.I have two on the way and if a can figure out how to post pictures on this forum,i will do so with a couple other lights as a comparison. Don't think you can make a wronge choice with the three your looking at.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you decide not to go with a headband you may want to consider one of these:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=57645&cat=27
    or
    http://www.trailled.com/product/500l

Both companies are great to work with, but they are both very busy building lights this time of year and the wait may be longer than you want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I appreciate all the input so far. I'm also wondering if I should also consider the Jet Lite A-51. It sounds like the battery for it is intended to be carried separate, not on the helmet. Any weights for the Mitycross or 400L?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think the Jet Lite A-51 is a great choice. Wearing a battery pack in your jersey pocket or hydration pack is no big deal. They have been making lights for a long time and have a great reputation, plus the lights are available now. If I were in the market for my first light I would strongly consider that light.

Do It Yourself
    I know technology is moving fast but you would be hard pressed to go wrong with the Lupine Piko. It's tiny and really bright. It's the perfect helmet light. What more would you want? The Jet A-51 looks great too although it's much larger. On the other hand, Jet is $100 less.

As far as the Dinotte 400 or the Minty 400, these are fine but neither are using the latest LEDs. You can do better.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    The Jet Lites and Piko are very similar in output. The Lupine is measured at 44 lux, the A51 at 40 lux. The differences are the size, weight, and price. The A51 is a bit bigger, the battery isn't meant to mount on the helmet, so it has a longer cord that will fit down to a jersey pocket, etc.

They both are extremely well made and supported. If you need something that's light enough to wear light and battery on your helmet, go with the Piko. If you want to save $100 and don't mind carrying the battery in your jersey pocket, go with the A51.

My A51 should be here in the next few days.

Another thought, Lupines are great, but they are German made. Jet Lites gets as many parts as possible from the US and hand assembles and solders each light themselves in Nevada.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either one, but I prefer the Jet Lites A51 personally. The slight benefits of the Lupine Piko doesn't justify the extra $100 to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm leaning toward the Piko but the A51 remains tempting. I wonder if I start with the Piko and add the A51 later for the bars if they'd complement each other well?

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by markmaxwell
    I'm leaning toward the Piko but the A51 remains tempting. I wonder if I start with the Piko and add the A51 later for the bars if they'd complement each other well?
    Absolutely. They will complement each other perfectly. The A51 has a big halo due to it's big reflector and the Piko has great throw because of its two Cree xpgs.

Fc

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I cuncur!!

swag ho Administrator
    I have backyard shots but these long range ones tell a better story.

A-51 - Note how the post ont he left and the branches on the right are lit up.

Lupine Piko - as a helmet light, you'll point it a little higher to see farther through the middle.

This is the trail during daylight. Note the cyclist at the center of the trail

fc

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Wow! The A-51 really lights up the trail making it all the more tempting. If I go with the Piko first, which vendor to you recommend; geomangear or gretnabikes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Depends on how quickly you want your Piko.Both provide excellent customer service,but Geoman if i'm correct doesn't keep stock on Lupine products,Gretna does,and Bill should be able to have your Piko shipped within one buisiness day.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by markmaxwell
    Wow! The A-51 really lights up the trail making it all the more tempting. If I go with the Piko first, which vendor to you recommend; geomangear or gretnabikes?
    Gretna is the Lupine authority in the US. I would go with them

fc

my church is the woods
    I got a chance to demo the Lupine Piko over the weekend. WOW! I want one! the thing is so small and lightweight, with the little battery on the back of the helmet, you can't even feel the weight up there on the helmet. The quality and brightness are fantastic.
    Bill at Gretnabikes is having a hard time keeping them in stock right now, I know that!

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    My Piko arrives tomorrow to replace the Magicshine on my commuter. I can't wait!
    I'm glad I waited for the Piko - I almost got a Tesla last year but took a chance on the MS, knowing it probably wasn't going to last more than a year. Now I'll have the Piko and MS for less than the price of a Tesla, and have a lighter light to boot!

The build quality of Lupine is so much higher than other lights I've owned (never had a Cygo) and my Betty II is unbelievable. Bill at Gretna is a solid operator, and gets orders shipped quickly. I like the Cygo products - they seem nice for the $, but at the level of the Piko I have more faith in Lupine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Piko from Gretna. I just need to decide rather to wait until my bday 12/6 and ask my wife to gift it to me or order it now

Mai
    mtbr member
    I ordered my Piko last Tuesday it was here in 2 days. I rode with it alone on Friday and it was great

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

swag ho Administrator
    piko review by who else?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Piko's arrived,and immediatly was shocked when i first saw how small the lamp head is,pictures and video's to me just didn't encapsulate how tiny this thing really is.Once i got it in the back yard and fired it up,,,,,just couldn't believe the output,easily outgunned the MS .Good call by Lupine to make a handle bar mount as it's bright enough for that.May be a bit to narrow of a beam pattern for some on the bars but when i had both going,there was a tonne of light!! This is a weight weenie's set up for sure. For those who prefer a wider beam on the handle bar, i think a very high end set up (quality wise)would be the Stryker(not the Pro) for the bars,and the Piko for the helmet as this would make an amazing well ballanced light pakage many could afford.