mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Mini Review + Beam shots: Xeccon VS other Chinese lights

First of all, sorry for my English. It is not my native language, nevertheless I will try and do my best.

Thanks to Xeccon and their global lighting exposure project I was lucky to receive two lights from them: The Sogon 900 and Spiker 1211. I was asked to review them.
    Apply free lights/ Xeccon, 2013 Globabl Lighting Exposure

Here are my first impressions alongside some beam shots I took at my local trails.

The lights reviewed:
    1) Ebay Mini T6:
    Mini CREE LED XML XM L T6 LED 1600Lm Bicycle Light Bike Lamp Headlight Headlamp | eBay

2) MagicShine MJ-872

3) Ebay SolarStorm X2 U2:
    Solarstorm 2XCREE XM L U2 LED X2 2000LM 4 Modes Mountain Bike Headlight Headlamp | eBay

4) Xeccon Sogon 900:
    Xeccon Sogn 900 Twin XM-L2 mtb Bike Light

5) Xeccon Spiker 1211:
    Xeccon Spiker 1211 Mini Spot Light

Beam Shots:

Mini Review + Beam shots: Xeccon VS other Chinese lights-mini.jpgMini Review + Beam shots: Xeccon VS other Chinese lights-872.jpgMini Review + Beam shots: Xeccon VS other Chinese lights-ss2high.jpgMini Review + Beam shots: Xeccon VS other Chinese lights-sogon.jpgMini Review + Beam shots: Xeccon VS other Chinese lights-spiker-high.jpg

First impressions:
    As you can see the Sogon 900 is super bright. I think it has great throw and IMO is perfect as a handlebar Light. I think that for the $$ this is definitely great value and a winner.
    As for the Spiker 1211- I was not as impressed with it like I was with the Sogon. It is not bright enough compared to my cheaper SSX2. It is probably built better and more durable than the SSX2 and definitely has a much much better battery but IMO not bright enough to use as A helmet Light.

Conclusion:
    Xeccon is a name you should consider when thinking of buying your next light. This is a brand which has great lights and the prices are right. The batteries on these light are very good too, much much better than those found on the cheap Chinese lights.
    They also have very good customer service: I had a problem with my first Sogon and they sent me a new one right away.
    For my current rig I use the Sogon on the handlebars and the SSX2 on my lid.

Hope this has helped.

passed out in your garden
    Just a note, for $10 more, this Chinese light is available

4000Lm 3X CREE XM L T6 LED Head Front Bicycle Lamp Bike Light Headlamp Headlight | eBay

The package contains the same as your shown Chinese light, except has 3 LEDs in the lamp, it would think it is brighter than the one you've shown. I have one and have found it a great value for money. The only issue is I believe the battery is not waterproof, so I have it in a plastic bag.

Low (photo doesnt do justice)

Medium

High

It doesnt look like it, but there is a noticeable difference between medium and high.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Just a note, for $10 more, this Chinese light is available

4000Lm 3X CREE XM L T6 LED Head Front Bicycle Lamp Bike Light Headlamp Headlight | eBay
    Is this the ebay seller you got it from? How is the battery? How much runtime you get on high? Do you know capacity (actual)?

I cant exactly answer any of those questions, except yes that is the seller l used.
    Commuting l get 6-8hrs on low, l have gotten 2.5hrs on high without the red warning coming on, l run the light right down before before recharging, 4 weeks of commuting use plus 3 night rides and its still going strong (not on the same charge), so it was $36 well spent in my opinion.
    The rear light is not waterproof, I know from experience , but a dry out and clean and its all good again. I believe the lamp itself is water resistant, I am hesitant to say waterproof, and I wouldnt want to drop it in a river, but it has received a good rain soaking. The battery, as mentioned above, doesnt look to be water resistant/proof, so I have mine in a plastic bag inside that black carry bag.

There is a huge thread about these Chinese knock offs in the lighting section.
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    2.5 hours on high is very good. Is that 6 cell batt?

I really dont know about the battery but suggest due to its shape that its a 4 cell, l am worried about its longevity though, time will tell (as they say)
    1993 Colnago Elegant