Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Totally valid point. It shoud be done that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey Grumps!

Still say great job on the evaluation. You have milliamp battery capacity (twice), as well as initial current draw, voltage, charge times, and run times. Personally I don't need any more information than this. As my night rides are generally 2-3 hours the light will always be in the green zone for charging when I return from my ride. Although this light would probably do 2 rides, I recharge after every ride. One poster appeared to want time vs current vs voltage which doesn't matter much to me...... what does matter is how long I can see what crap is coming at me. If it is pitch black I am not turning off the light to save a battery pack if running one light. (I run 2 lights) This is a budget light with a big punch and if I have to replace a battery pack for $20 or less I am still way ahead of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was able to pull almost 3700 milliamps from the battery.
    Battery charged up. Took 4013 milliamperes.
    Run times

Low
    Amp Draw - 0.32
    10 Hours 17 Minutes, the light stays on, but the button changes to RED
    10 Hours 24 Minutes, OFF

High
    Amp Draw - 0.64
    5 Hours 19 Minutes, the light stays on, but the button changes to RED
    5 Hours 25 Minutes, OFF
    It's been charging for an hour, has put 1000 milliamperes in and the voltage is at 7.52 and slowly climbing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Only if you see the combination of voltage/amps/time you get a specification of the light and after that you know, what type of battery you should buy and how long will it last. In case you want to be correct, if not it is always an estimated specification

Quote Originally Posted by tr6fan View Post
    Hey Grumps!

Still say great job on the evaluation. You have milliamp battery capacity (twice), as well as initial current draw, voltage, charge times, and run times. Personally I don't need any more information than this. As my night rides are generally 2-3 hours the light will always be in the green zone for charging when I return from my ride. Although this light would probably do 2 rides, I recharge after every ride. One poster appeared to want time vs current vs voltage which doesn't matter much to me...... what does matter is how long I can see what crap is coming at me. If it is pitch black I am not turning off the light to save a battery pack if running one light. (I run 2 lights) This is a budget light with a big punch and if I have to replace a battery pack for $20 or less I am still way ahead of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    I would like to know how long the battery would last when ran on high till the switch turns red, then switch to low how long would the battery last after that?

mtbr member
    I just picked one of these up, I will post my findings in a few weeks when it arrives.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mine arrived yesterday in the mail. The light is bright in the center with very little fill. On the trail it would make a great helmet spot light with a fill light on the bars.

At rest the light uses 0.03 amps, on high it uses 0.67 amps, on low it uses 0.36 amps.

The battery that came with it has a capacity of 4.0 Ah when tested at 2.0 amps, that is on par with the Geomangear replacement batteries.

Here is the battery chart.

bike light batteries by fbodyhappe, on Flickr
    James
    "My mountain bike needs a new motor; the current one is fat and lazy."

mtbr member
    Thanks, fast_monte`. You say it is bright in the center...like MJ's 808, or is the 808 beam even narrower?

mtbr member
    I have the Magicshine 808 with the dimpled reflector, just the way it came from GeomanGear, and it has a better mix of fill and spot with a gentle gradient between the two. The mini CREE has a very sharp spot with less fill.

I used the mini CREE on a road ride last night and I could not see as much off to the sides like with the 808. It is still a nice little light for cheap.
    James

mtbr member
    Ok, thank you for that!
    Will probably get another clone but this time a U2 one. Will use a wide angle lens (already have one on a 808 clone) or even two of those to tet that 30x30 beam another user has been talking about...

One wide angle lens pointed closer to the bike and the other U2 with two wide angle lens pointed a bit further to the ground should be all i need for road biking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I appreciate all the information here regarding this light and just received mine yesterday. Quite impressed with the results to $ ratio... I'm not that familiar with battery technology and what the proper procedures are to ensure long life. Is there a link to information on how to properly care for this battery that someone could point me to? Thanks in advance for any advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ordered one and got it seven days later shipped to L.A. Going to machine up a custom bracket for mounting on my helmet and the battery fits into the shoulder strap pocket on my Osprey pack

mtbr member
    Bought one, super bright in my living room on a test. The battery would die within 30 seconds every time, completely. So I returned it.

It was probably just a bad battery, but I was hesitant to order in the first place so this sealed the deal for me. Not the kit for me, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post
    Bought one, super bright in my living room on a test. The battery would die within 30 seconds every time, completely. So I returned it.

It was probably just a bad battery, but I was hesitant to order in the first place so this sealed the deal for me. Not the kit for me, unfortunately.
    Which seller did you get your light from?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
    Which seller did you get your light from?
    Yes, please share!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    I've been looking around but not had any luck yet. Does anyone know of a replacement optic that'll give this a little more flood?

Honest - i did try and search

And since i was in the office all day i decided to give it a test. Got batter fully charged and then fired it up with a fan and noted the time. Well after 4 hours I powered off the light...... Still seemed to be running great but was worried about killing the batteries. The indicator showed Green on the back still also..... No multi meter to test here though.

Ed
    Last edited by NitroRC Ed; 12-26-2012 at 04:26 PM.

mtbr member
    So I got my light last week and topped off the charge. Yesterday I tested how long the light would last. On hi 5hr 50min then the button light turned from green to red - switched it to low and the light on the button turned green again. 10min later the button light turned red and 10min later it shut off.

mtbr member
    It sounds like this light would work well with a smaller 2 cell battery considering it's run time and the likeliness it would be helmet mounted. Would the batteries sold for Magicshines work with this light?

mtbr member
    The Magicshine batteries will work with this light. With two cells you could only expect the light to run for an hour and a half on high.
    James

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Another update.

I finally received the no charge replacement battery from my vendor, CyberPort888.

I was able to pull 3424 mah out of this battery.

I have also received two additional Mini Cree lights for a friend that I ordered. I was able to pull the following out of each battery using my RC hobby charger.

Battery 1 - 3920 mah
    Battery 2 - 3156 mah

The kicker with these, the connectors are different than mine. The pin in the middle of the connector on the battery end is thick, just like my 3x XML and I believe MagicShines. Mine, is thin. See the comparison shot I took early of the Mini 1x XML plug beside the 3x XML.

New clone 3 x XML T-6 49.88 shipped

So far my original mini cree light and battery are going strong, it's been about two months since I got it and I've used it about once a week. Let's hope it keeps going!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Received my one of these from the ebay seller.

Current draw was measured as:
    High - 0.71amps (8.1v) ~5.75W
    Low - 0.38amps (8.15v) ~3.1W

Battery capacity was measured at approx 4000mAh (5w load), so well short of the 6400mAh advertised.

Connectors were 5.5x2.5mm plugs, not the 5.5x2.1mm ones it seems are used on most lights.

Great light, just the helmet mount leaves alot to be desired so I'm looking for an alternate system of fixing it to the melon protector!

Riiiiiide...
    This little light has REALLY peaked my interest! I've been looking at 3x clones the last while, pretty much sold myself on one, and now this. It seems that for a little more money i can grab 2 of these, always have a backup, 2 chargers, and backup mounting equipment. And next to that, 2 of these seems to put out as much light as one of the 3x clones.. the big difference being that with one on the bars and one on the helmet, effectively i would have more use of it. Not to mention very nice run times

Now i just gotta figure out which wide angle lens to get for the bar lamp, and that should be that!!

.. or is it ?

mtbr member
    Great review. Thanks for taking the time to post.
    I love the long burn times. Must more efficient emitter/driver combination.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Because of the price...I ordered one of these a few weeks ago.
    So I now have a 3X Xml ( great light! ) and a Hi-Max XML U2 ( Another great light).
    Waiting for the mini to get here....

mtbr member
    Hey Mayor,
    It'd be great if you have some time to send us some side-by-side beam comparisons between the 3xXML and the Mini.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus001 View Post
    Hey Mayor,
    It'd be great if you have some time to send us some side-by-side beam comparisons between the 3xXML and the Mini.
    It may be a while....
    I ordered the thing almost 4 weeks ago,,,same time I ordered the 3X ( which came in a week) and the U2 Hi Max ( which took 4 weeks). I emailed the vendor and got the " out of office for the Holiday" message. We'll see. I might put in a issue with Ebay/Paypal just to cover my butt on the 45 day deal.

Edit: Mr Gumpy already posted pics....there's a link in the 1st post on this thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast