Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

MiNewt.350 x 2 to replace HID Cyclone?

Considering pulling the trigger on a new set of lights. I have a older NiteRider Cyclone HID light that I think is circa 2004. It's failed on me once (on a ride) and the charger seems to work only when it wants to. I usually have to plug it in and then re-plug it in and hope it works. Plus, the old NiMH battery is REALLY heavy. Like 5 lbs? I mean it feels like a brick in my pack. I have been avoiding night riding for a while really because I doubt the reliability and can't stand the weight of the battery.

Last year during the 18 Hours of Fruita I borrowed a friend's MiNewt 400 dual bar mount light (to pair with the HID.) I couldn't believe the drastic difference in light quality as well as the ridonkulously light weight of the battery. The only problem is that even fully charged and running it on "low" it still failed about 3/4 through the night part of the race (on a 2 man team.) Despite that, I'm considering replacing my Cyclone with 2 of the MiNewt 350's - one for bar and one for helmet. Thoughts on this set up? I'm not a fan of bar-mount alone and I figure that two 350's paired, one helmet and one bar, both running in the "medium" setting, would be far better than the single HID Cyclone I've had for years.

Anybody else running this set up? The reviews of the MiNewt 350 seem to be mixed, with a couple of reviewers noting lack of reliability.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 04-18-2011 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi Earthpig,I didn't do my homework before this reply so i don't know what the cost on a pair of NR 350's would be.I think it's because i'm going to try to talk you into another brand of lights.

There are so many out there that are way brighter and more reliable than the NR brand.If your on a consevative budget check out GeomanGear or Gemini Industries.

Geoman has a great set up for you.Bike Ray3 for you bars and the narrow beam Bike Ray,not sure if it's the Bike Ray 1 or 2 for your helmet.If you were impressed with two NR 350's,this set up will nock your socks off.You will have three times the light output and way more reliability.Pretty close in price as well.

Gemini Industries also sells similar product (Titan)well made, reliable and well priced.

On a different note,a little more cash$$) one of the best helmet lights out there is the Lupine Piko, almost double the output of the NR 350 and so small and light you can have both the light and battery on your helmet.Check out Gretna Bikes if interested.Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Considering pulling the trigger on a new set of lights. I have a older NiteRider Cyclone HID light that I think is circa 2004. It's failed on me once (on a ride) and the charger seems to work only when it wants to. I usually have to plug it in and then re-plug it in and hope it works. Plus, the old NiMH battery is REALLY heavy. Like 5 lbs? I mean it feels like a brick in my pack. I have been avoiding night riding for a while really because I doubt the reliability and can't stand the weight of the battery.

Last year during the 18 Hours of Fruita I borrowed a friend's MiNewt 400 dual bar mount light (to pair with the HID.) I couldn't believe the drastic difference in light quality as well as the ridonkulously light weight of the battery. The only problem is that even fully charged and running it on "low" it still failed about 3/4 through the night part of the race (on a 2 man team.) Despite that, I'm considering replacing my Cyclone with 2 of the MiNewt 350's - one for bar and one for helmet. Thoughts on this set up? I'm not a fan of bar-mount alone and I figure that two 350's paired, one helmet and one bar, both running in the "medium" setting, would be far better than the single HID Cyclone I've had for years.

Anybody else running this set up? The reviews of the MiNewt 350 seem to be mixed, with a couple of reviewers noting lack of reliability.

Hi Earthpig,

Not totally sure what your budget is, but we (Baja Designs) had really good deal on a Strykr (bar mounted system) and Strykr Pro (helmet light) at an event I went to a couple of weeks ago. Basically you'd get both 700 lumen systems (1400 total) for $400, they are normally $298.95 and $344.95 retail. Our systems use excellent quality Panasonic batteries and come with a lifetime warranty on the electronics, the light head and everything inside it.

Like InDebt mentioned, Geoman also sells some great lights and I personally think you'd be happy with the NiteRider's as well, NR is a great company. The MiNewt's are pretty darn cool, you may find yourself desiring a little brighter set up as your nocturnal skills increase though.

Check out the reviews, our Facebook page (Baja Designs Bicycle Lighting), and ponder it deeply in your heart (just kidding). Anyway, if this sounds interesting my email is Shannon@BajaDesigns.com, I can send you the form and answer any questions you may have.

Good luck in your hunt!

Shannon

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    My total light budget is, unfortunately, in the $250 - $275 range. I can get two of the 350 MiNewts for about that price.

mtbr member
    My total light budget is, unfortunately, in the $250 - $275 range. I can get two of the 350 MiNewts for about that price.
    Well, there you go then. I would just make sure to purchase them brand new from a good bike shop and make sure that they haven't been sitting on the shelf for too long as that may adversely affect the battery.

If you did think about getting a single system, we do have a trade-in program on older systems like your Cyclone where we give $100 towards a new Strykr or Strykr Pro. So basically you'd pay $198.95 for a crazy bright and very reliable Strykr or $244.95 for a super light weight Strykr Pro. The way that works is I send you a form, you fill it out send it back and we ship your new system the same day, then you snail mail your old light and we give it a dignified burial.

Anyway, the MiNewts are fun, just make sure to get a fresh pair. The best situation would be where your local shop orders them directly from NiteRider for you. That way you know that it is a brand new system and a new battery, plus if you do have issues the shop is there to be middleman for you.

Shannon

mtbr member
    Like indept posted this is a sweet setup and the price is right.
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...2gdjlrpvlsvdd0
    I have been running this pairing for about month and a half now and couldn't be more happy.
    The bikeray flood on the bar really highlights the terrain you will not miss a rut and matched with MS spot on the helmet to lock things down Ive have yet to out run this set up.
    matched with Geos new batteries and his history for customer service makes it even better
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Hmm. I did some serious looking into the Baja Designs, Gemini and GeoMan lights. Sorry Shannon, but the BD is a bit out of my price range. The Gemini and GeoMan lights appear to both get good feedback (although I haven't seen Baker put any sort of recent follow up review on the Gemini in his detailed post.)

Looks like I can get one Titan "full package" (for the helmet) and one Titan "system" (for the bar) for less than the MiNewts. But, I have been burned more than once by the "you get what you pay for" bug. As for the GeoMan, have they sorted out their battery issues?

What's the "budget light(s)" winner between these three systems?

mtbr member
    The battery issue has been solved it does not get much better than this
    GeoManGearís Battery is here

mtbr member
    Hmm. I did some serious looking into the Baja Designs, Gemini and GeoMan lights. Sorry Shannon, but the BD is a bit out of my price range. The Gemini and GeoMan lights appear to both get good feedback (although I haven't seen Baker put any sort of recent follow up review on the Gemini in his detailed post.)

Looks like I can get one Titan "full package" (for the helmet) and one Titan "system" (for the bar) for less than the MiNewts. But, I have been burned more than once by the "you get what you pay for" bug. As for the GeoMan, have they sorted out their battery issues?

What's the "budget light(s)" winner between these three systems?
    No worries Earthpig, we're still pals, I understand that money is tight. Between those three budget systems...I'd go with the new version Geoman light, they seem like a good group of people.

Shannon

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Meh. Officially confused. All this technology blather about batteries and lumens and amps the whatnot stuff. I just want an inexpensive, reliable set of lights that are bright. (This is starting to sound like the "strong, light and inexpensive - pick two" bike part conundrum.)

Per Shannon and Rakuman, it *sounds* like the GeoMan "singletrack" package with the 4.5 amp Open Light batteries may be the ticket for what I am looking for.

EDIT - Or, should I go with the (new?) GMG 4.5 amp battery package? I'm assuming that this is the new GMG battery. What are the differences between the OL and (new?) GMG batteries?
    Last edited by Earthpig; 04-18-2011 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member
    He's got two single track packages I have the openlight battery's they work great and do not fade. but if I was to buy them now I would get his new batteries same Panasonic cells plus a hard case and a 1 year warranty versus 6 months with the open lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    He's got two single track packages I have the openlight battery's they work great and do not fade. but if I was to buy them now I would get his new batteries same Panasonic cells plus a hard case and a 1 year warranty versus 6 months with the open lights.
    I second Rakuman's opinion on this one for sure, the Panasonics, the hard battery case, and the warranty all ad up to a better set up I think.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Well, after much confusion and consternation, I think I'm going to dump my cash on one bar mount light right now and continue to hopefully string out my Cyclone for the season. While the GMG stuff looks good for the price, I'm still spooked by the "you get what you pay for" concept. (Having been burned over and over again. If it's cheap, there's a reason.) I'm leaning towards pairing my Cyclone with a Jet Lites A-51 or Baja Designs Stryker as a bar mount. Shannon, let's chat.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 04-19-2011 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi Earthpig, if your going to stick with just a bar light purchase for now,as good of a choice as the A-51 is,with Baja's trade in offer,the Stryker,(not pro) version is the same price and much brighter 52lux vs 40lux for the A-51. Both good lights,but the better value and performance for me i would give to the Baja Stryker.I just wanted to give you my 2cents.Cheers!!!.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt
    Hi Earthpig, if your going to stick with just a bar light purchase for now,as good of a choice as the A-51 is,with Baja's trade in offer,the Stryker,(not pro) version is the same price and much brighter 52lux vs 40lux for the A-51. Both good lights,but the better value and performance for me i would give to the Baja Stryker.I just wanted to give you my 2cents.Cheers!!!.
    The Stryker definitely has more lumens and it sounds to be bombproof (per the reviews.) However, it does seem to have a much larger battery than the A-51 that appears to be pretty unwieldy. Also, if I run just a single light, I'd go with a helmet mount. I keep reading that the Stryker is too big to use as a helmet mount. If I traded in the Cyclone, I'd still be down a light, and the ultimate goal is to have two lights....meh. This is becoming frustrating....

mtbr member
    Hey Earthpig, no worries on the trade, if you want to keep your Cyclone don't sweat it, we can still get a Strykr for you at $198.95.

As far as the A-51, I have one and can honestly tell you it is a great little light and would make a great helmet system, better than a Strykr would just due to the light head's size. That being said, the Strykr is quite a bit brighter, throws farther and with the wide angle lens installed has a lot nicer spill. The battery on a Strykr is not too big it's actually small enough to fit on the super short downhill-ish stem of my SX Trail II, our battery is very burly, that's just how we build things. (we drove a full sized Toyota Tundra up on top of a light head and battery yesterday for You Tube - and everything still works) All of this being said, the Strykr is incredible when used as a bar mounted system, if you used your Cyclone for the helmet, you would have some serious firepower.

Anywho...to summarize, don't worry about the trade, we can work around that. The A-51 is a great light - you'd enjoy it - I am biased (obviously) but the Strykr system really is a killer light and quite a bit brighter and with it's two different reflectors it is very versatile. If you want to see some shots of the Strykr battery mounted up check some of the pictures on our Baja Designs Bicycle Lighting Facebook page.

Shannon
    Last edited by Baja Designs; 04-19-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Shannon - If the Stryker proves to be half as good as your customer service, I'm sure it will be an excellent light! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Shannon - If the Stryker proves to be half as good as your customer service, I'm sure it will be an excellent light! Thanks!
    Shhhh...Earthpig, you are going to ruin my street rep as an evil and sinister huckster!!

Shannon

PS - Thanks for going with a Baja Designs Strykr, you are now a member of the Baja Designs Nation! (I just made that up)

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Shannon, great light! Very happy after the firsr ride. I'll post up my impressions in a different thread.

mtbr member
    Great to hear! I am happy that you have enjoyed your Strykr, I look forward to seeing your write up.

Shannon