mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Marwi Nightpro Extreme battery upgrade

Is there an easy way to upgrade to a smaller, lighter Lithium Ion battery for the Marwi Nightpro Extreme HID Light? I assume it would require a new charger as well? Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drbiker View Post
    Is there an easy way to upgrade to a smaller, lighter Lithium Ion battery for the Marwi Nightpro Extreme HID Light? I assume it would require a new charger as well? Thanks for your help.
    Assuming the system used a 12V NIMH pack, you could replace this with an 11.1V li-ion pack. If the light had any voltage monitoring "intelligence," then this would likely no longer function correctly since the discharge curves for the two battery types are different. The useable voltage range for the 11.1V li-ion packs goes from 12.6V when fully charged, down to a fully discharged voltage of 9V, so you just have to make sure that the light operates properly off of this range. Of course, any Li-ion pack that you use would need to have the built-in safety shutoff to prevent over-discharge (most do these days). You can get 5200mAH, 11.1V packs in the $50 to $60 range, but stay away from the Chinese cells. Recommend only Sanyo or Panasonic cells. BatterySpace has them (11.1V packs), and you can also find some good ones on ebay from FMAbattery. Oh, and yes, you would need a new charger. They're cheap though, in the $10 to $20 range.

Here's an old thread from MTBR.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    BatterySpace used to sell set-ups specifically for this. Not sure if they still sell them as the brand name was for Trail Tech. Basically it was a 14.8 volt Li-ion battery that included a voltage regulator built into the power wire. This brought the voltage down to the target voltage for HID. Not sure if the Trailtech connectors will work with your Marwi but you could use the old connectors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Any way you can find out the voltage of the current battery?
    You might look at one of these 12v batteries on ebay, if that seems close to the voltage of the current battery.
    12V 3000mAh Supter Rechargeable Li-ion Battery for 2.4G 5.8G FPV RX CCTV Camera | eBay
    (Do a search for "li-ion battery 12v" and see what comes up.)
    I believe these batteries have regulators built in.

Or you might just retire the HID and get a $40 Chinese XM-L led light.

mtbr member
    This is what I was talking about in my last post > link. BatterySpace still sells these. You can buy just the regulator/Wire/switch or the regulator/Wire/switch with battery. Target voltage for most HID bulbs is 13.2 volts. This is why years ago most systems started out using NiMh batteries.

You can use 11.1 volt Li-ion batteries but the output will not be as intense and will fade faster ( usually producing a bluish tint to the beam. ) This is why 14.8 volt Li-ion ( with 13.2 volt regulation ) is better. HID bulbs are voltage controlled devices where as LED's are current controlled devices.

What's funny is years ago you couldn't find these regulator/wire/switch set-ups. There was a time when I wanted to convert my JetLites 13watt Halogen over to Li-ion but at that time the regulators weren't available as a separate item. Back then if you wanted 13.2 volts you had to use the heavier NiMh batteries. All of this is moot though because the current LED lamps are just all-around better.