Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    874

    Majic Shine Battery Recall What to Do

    Not to repeat a question thats probably been asked 100x's, but what are people doing in the mean time for a battery? I've got a 24 hour coming up in May and I don't feel confident that this recall thing will be taken care of, if at all.

    Are people saying the hell with majic shine and buying a new system?, or just a new battery? if so what kind? or no night riding because they are waiting for Majic Shine to come to the recue.

    Oh the price I paid for saving some money.

    Mojo

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamas1395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    100
    I got tired of waiting and bought a Cygo Lite a few months ago. I felt it wasn't worth the risk of damaging my house/family with a crap battery. So now if we do get a replacment battery I'll have good bar mount light to use.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    Not to repeat a question thats probably been asked 100x's, but what are people doing in the mean time for a battery? I've got a 24 hour coming up in May and I don't feel confident that this recall thing will be taken care of, if at all.

    Are people saying the hell with majic shine and buying a new system?, or just a new battery? if so what kind? or no night riding because they are waiting for Majic Shine to come to the recue.

    Oh the price I paid for saving some money.

    Mojo
    Well seeing you want a response, you are asking a ? that's been asked a hundred times, there are plenty of battery threads to chose from, and plenty of new light threads I myself have 6 recalled batteries that i have replaced via DIY and have bought a few already made batteries to keep riding. if you are not wanting to buy some substitute batteries and want another system trade it in for a Baja Designs,
    We are all in the same situation with this recall you can get on here and gripe about it or do something about it to keep yourself night riding.
    Just trying to keep things positive until those sweet new batteries get in then I will have a boatload of spare battery's
    I in fact just finished soldering up some connectors to some all-battery packs for a friend tonight these work great until Geo gets us some new juice.
    http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion186...bareleads.aspx
    Last edited by Rakuman; 02-15-2011 at 09:10 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353
    well if it's that important,....
    I mean, racers usually have a $3000 plus bike,
    ... race registration, munchies, and gas, is probably more than a replacement battery from novalights on Bay.
    Geoman just got in some top notch openlight batteries,..
    and you could get an adapter from me, and just go to an RC store, or radio shack,...

    never mind those battery stores, who sell nice packs.
    you ride you pay! used to spend more on pizza and beer, after the ride, in a year,
    than my bike was worth. And I was riding a Specialized.

    Never mind , for a 24 hour race, usually need a boat load of lights and batteries for the group.
    So, if it's important to you, stop playing that fiddle, and do something about it.
    last not least, probably be paying more for the back and forth shipping, than it's worth it.
    and you can sell the replacement battery , once you get it, to get more pizza and beer.
    cheers, Rob
    mtbl.robs-x

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    Not to repeat a question thats probably been asked 100x's, but what are people doing in the mean time for a battery? I've got a 24 hour coming up in May and I don't feel confident that this recall thing will be taken care of, if at all.

    Are people saying the hell with majic shine and buying a new system?, or just a new battery? if so what kind? or no night riding because they are waiting for Majic Shine to come to the recue.

    Oh the price I paid for saving some money.

    Mojo
    Just to set the record straight: There is no recall by MagicShine. The only recall was offered by "Geoman", one of the many MagicShine vendors. He is providing a battery recall to people he sold MagicShine light sets or batteries to. If you didn't buy from him you don't get a new battery.

    Okay, so you've got a 24 hr race coming up. You mean to tell me that you aren't going to race because you're not willing to buy a new $40 battery for your light.. Crap, I must spend a couple hundred every year on my bike just on maintenance alone. Not to mention what it cost to buy bike clothes. Since I have at least two DBL ( dedicated bike lights ) that are at least two or more years old, they will soon need replacement batteries if I intend to continue using them. At some point I will either decide to do just that or buy a new and better light system. A true nocturnal bike riding affectionado would not quibble about such decisions. If you need a battery... buy one or build one. If you want a better light.. buy one or build one. I'm not busting your *****, I'm just saying.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    874
    WOW, you guys are sensitive about this.

    Mojo

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    717

    We answered all his ? and he calls us sensitive ? huh! we are not the ones whining about what to do
    Last edited by Rakuman; 02-16-2011 at 07:00 AM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    WOW, you guys are sensitive about this.

    Mojo
    This is a discussion forum. While I ( and the others ) probably have gotten our feathers ruffled a time or two over the subject of the MS battery this is not one of them. Sensitive? No. Passionate? Perhaps, especially when I hear someone isn't willing to buy a new battery because they're waiting for a freebie. Don't misunderstand me. Nothing wrong in getting something for free but not at the cost of not being able to ride when you want to. If you pack your lunch for a week ( rather than buying ) you will have your battery money.

  9. #9
    Rob
    Reputation: poconopitbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48
    rshultz....

    A "W.S. DEANS" connector would be even better than a Tamiya connector..... Since I have all my "stick packs" set up with them... You have given me a great idea using the 7.2v RC car NiMH batteries.

    Thanks

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    874
    You guys are ridiculous,

    I spent (or my wife does) 160 bucks a lighting system that I can't use because of a defective battery (recall) and you guys are mocking me because I'm a little upset that nothing has been done about it, and I shouldn't baulk about having to buy a replacement battery/batteries? It's not about the cost it's the principle.

    I see Magic Shine has a new lighting system out, but not replacement batteries for a safety recall?

    I work too hard for my money to settle for mediocrity

    Maybe I missed something about this recall in the past, shame on me for not visiting this thread since last year.

    Mojo

  11. #11
    www.HSmtb.org
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    You guys are ridiculous,

    I spent (or my wife does) 160 bucks a lighting system that I can't use because of a defective battery (recall) and you guys are mocking me because I'm a little upset that nothing has been done about it, and I shouldn't baulk about having to buy a replacement battery/batteries? It's not about the cost it's the principle.

    I see Magic Shine has a new lighting system out, but not replacement batteries for a safety recall?

    I work too hard for my money to settle for mediocrity

    Maybe I missed something about this recall in the past, shame on me for not visiting this thread since last year.

    Mojo
    now who's being overly sensitive?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    109
    What's the big deal? We're talking about a relatively inexpensive item compared to any other MTB part. Let's get that straight. Secondly, you made a choice (as did I) to purchase a second rate Chinese product. Let's just assume the battery is a sunk cost and you will never get a replacement and you will never use it again due to safety. Throw that thing away. Your $160 light is now worth $110. That's not that big of a deal.

    You have plenty of options.

    1. Buy a plug in replacement pack. Geoman sells them. Gemini sells them. I'm sure many others sell them. When the battery recall happens you now have 2 good packs.
    2. Buy a 6 cell RC NiMh pack and solder on your old connector.
    3. Buy a whole new lightset that is not Chinese. Sell magicshine.
    5. Keep your magicshine and wait for the battery recall. Buy a new lightset now that is not Chinese. When battery recall happens you will have 2 good lights.
    6. Keep using your magicshine

    I personally have built some RC packs that work just fine. I also just continue using my magicshine batteries. I just charge them on the garage floor in a metal tin. Once they are charged they should be safe enough.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    You guys are ridiculous,

    I spent (or my wife does) 160 bucks a lighting system that I can't use because of a defective battery (recall) and you guys are mocking me because I'm a little upset that nothing has been done about it, and I shouldn't baulk about having to buy a replacement battery/batteries? It's not about the cost it's the principle.

    I see Magic Shine has a new lighting system out, but not replacement batteries for a safety recall?

    I work too hard for my money to settle for mediocrity

    Maybe I missed something about this recall in the past, shame on me for not visiting this thread since last year.

    Mojo
    Now that I got the violins out of the way.
    It is all about principle......
    You have a company that IS standing behind the product it sells,, do a little research and you will find out you will be made whole .
    Recalls and replacement products take time to come to completion do your research and your ? will be answered.
    Geoman has handled this recall as well as could be expected and yes it is all about the principle of it , what has he done wrong ? nothing that i can tell.
    and when you whine about a $160 light that you cant use for $50 bucks you are back up and running, I know I have spent upwards of $300 on replacement batteries so my family and I would not miss any night riding. am I whining hell no because I know Geoman is a company with principles and is standing behind their products.
    By the way most 24 hour guys i know have a boatload of back up batteries.

    It is all about the principle of the thing
    Last edited by Rakuman; 02-16-2011 at 07:08 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    202
    In principle, they launched new lighting systems before taking care of customers in the dark the whole winter. Not as altruistic as you say.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    717
    What do you want them to do wait till the end of April after they have paid 10s of thousands to get us our recalled batteries to try to make some money . oh ya they should close the company down until after the recall.
    They are doing like any smart company would be doing trying to make money and launching new products fall into that line. sounds like good business sense to me
    Last edited by Rakuman; 02-16-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking


  16. #16
    help with the zip please
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    You guys are ridiculous,

    I spent (or my wife does) 160 bucks a lighting system that I can't use because of a defective battery (recall) and you guys are mocking me because I'm a little upset that nothing has been done about it, and I shouldn't baulk about having to buy a replacement battery/batteries? It's not about the cost it's the principle.

    I work too hard for my money to settle for mediocrity

    :
    Then my advice to you re future lighting purchases is to
    a) do your research before you open your wallet and
    b) dig a little deeper and buy better quality product to start with. (atleast you bought from a reputable dealer)

    There were plenty of threads on this forum alone very soon after the MS light first appeared for sale, most of which commented on how cheap it was and also on the questionable quality of the light head, and many also questioned the long term quality of the battery pack itself.

    If you bought yours from geoman then you are better off than the many that didn't and have no support and won't be getting the better quality batteries which will then probably make that system a decent one.

    Until then, you've asked what to do and several have suggested buying or making up replacement batteries. I don't think you'll get better responses than that.

    If that's still a bitter pill to swallow then think back 5 years when we had "dolphin" torches to ride with, grab one of your old lights out of mothballs and go and enjoy yourself.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    Not to repeat a question thats probably been asked 100x's, but what are people doing in the mean time for a battery? I've got a 24 hour coming up in May and I don't feel confident that this recall thing will be taken care of, if at all.

    Are people saying the hell with majic shine and buying a new system?, or just a new battery? if so what kind? or no night riding because they are waiting for Majic Shine to come to the recue.

    Oh the price I paid for saving some money.

    Mojo
    Do you have a problem with your battery or just not using it because of the Geoman recall?

    Most people are continuing to use their MS batteries and exercising some caution while charging or storing the batteries. Why don't you do the same and enjoy the race.

    If you purchased from Geoman, you will be taken care of soon enough

  18. #18
    help with the zip please
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,826
    Mojo, did you buy your light from Geoman? Or I am correct in thinking your comment in post #10 "nothing is being done about it" suggests you bought from elsewhere and are reluctant to use it because of the Geoman voluntary recall?

    If its the later then you're not going to get a replacement battery from geoman and probably not from anywhere else either.

    Have you seen this thread? If you bought elsewhere then post #15 onwards indicates that you can buy alternate batteries from Geoman now that are compatible, probably the best option if you're not into the DIY thing and soldering. Even if you did buy your MS from them then there is nothing that stops you from buying a new battery now and then getting the replacement when the time comes. That'll give you heaps of juice for those 24hr events you do.

    Of course I assume that you did your research and know the dangers of charging li-po batteries and as such have bought one of these charge bags so that no matter what brand your battery is you charge in relative safety. Things do go wrong, even with quality products.

    Hope that helps

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    You guys are ridiculous....:
    ...this reminds me of the saying, " You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". Anyway, as for getting a free battery directly from MagicShine....good luck with that replacement strategy.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12
    I got my MS last February and still try to use it, but can't wait to replace it. I charge it outside in a coffee can with a hole in the lid. Even if there wasn't a safety issue, there is a problem with battery run time only a year later. I'm lucky to get 30 minutes on high with a full charge. I emailed geoman in October when the run time started sucking and he said the 90 day warranty was up so there was nothing he could do, He did offer a break on the cost of a new battery if I wanted a replacement. I suspected the MS was all too good to be true for 80 bucks but took a chance anyway. Not again. I got a strykr and was happy to pay more for something that should give me several years of service. My old Jet Lite battery took years before I saw a noticeable decrease in run time.

  21. #21
    GeoMan
    Reputation: GEOMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,707
    Also please see the Recall Timeline below, the CPSC just approved the GeoManGear battery pack samples that were sent to them from our Manufacturer. This is another huge step forward in the product development and recall process.

    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...age=page&id=19

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    Now that I got the violins out of the way.
    It is all about principle......
    You have a company that IS standing behind the product it sells,, do a little research and you will find out you will be made whole .
    Recalls and replacement products take time to come to completion do your research and your ? will be answered.
    Geoman has handled this recall as well as could be expected and yes it is all about the principle of it , what has he done wrong ? nothing that i can tell.
    and when you whine about a $160 light that you cant use for $50 bucks you are back up and running, I know I have spent upwards of $300 on replacement batteries so my family and I would not miss any night riding. am I whining hell no because I know Geoman is a company with principles and is standing behind their products.
    By the way most 24 hour guys i know have a boatload of back up batteries.

    It is all about the principle of the thing
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,535
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Also please see the Recall Timeline below, the CPSC just approved the GeoManGear battery pack samples that were sent to them from our Manufacturer. This is another huge step forward in the product development and recall process.

    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...age=page&id=19
    Looks like that huge step is lasting a little too long.
    It is upsetting to me that they have plenty of batteries to send their new customers but not the ones who have purchased in the past.
    Can I send mine back for a refund so I can get a working light system?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    20
    Stop whining and just keep using the original system. Put it in something safe while charging/storing. I don't intend on stopping use of my packs until I get new ones from the recall. I've had my lights since geo first started to sell them and I've always been cautious about charging them even before the recall notice.

    I don't get why people are whining about this.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nitelights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    38
    We can supply you with batteries that won't explode, heat or blow up because we have always specified quality products from our manufacturers.

    $45 USD inc freight.

    Our batteries will work with all Magicshine lights

    www.nitelights.co.nz

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,535
    Quote Originally Posted by chiznitz
    Stop whining and just keep using the original system. Put it in something safe while charging/storing. I don't intend on stopping use of my packs until I get new ones from the recall. I've had my lights since geo first started to sell them and I've always been cautious about charging them even before the recall notice.

    I don't get why people are whining about this.
    Would you whine if you bought a light and it won't hold a charge or takes special precautions to charge or store? 5 months seems to me to be too long of time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •