Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

magicshine XM-L

31K views 147 replies 36 participants last post by  starthere 
#1 · (Edited)
has anyone tried one of these yet ? looks like it would be good on the helmet . defiantly got a hot spot I'm thinking with one of Robs lenses it would be really good.
http://bikeempowerment.com/Magicshine.html

#4 ·
I've got 2 x P60 XML's so far and I'm REALLY impressed, they produce a big spot but a very bright big spot so with a larger reflector that should decrease the spot size and up the power of it for longer range work considerably :)

Then add in that will be running a claimed 2400mah where as the P60's are likely running 1200ma based on the run time and it could be a serious bit of kit, for the money!!

SOON hopefully!!

#7 ·
Just received a P60 XM-L drop in from DX. Brighter than the P7 P60 drop in. Very nice actually. 5 modes is a PITA. Has memory but turning torch on and off will often increment the mode. If only they would just have a 2 mode hi-lo setup.

I've also machined down the stock orange peel P60 reflectors and that does have a good effect on broadening the spot:

See my article on the P60 to Vista Light Adapters I have made for more info.

#8 ·
Hey Rakuman
We have been testing the MJ-808E's for a while now. I ran 2 lastnight on a 5 hr MTB ride, one on the bars and one on the helmet, runtime for one XM-L on an OLS 8.7Ah pack is about 5.5 hrs (2 hrs 40 mins on a 4.5). Not enough flood on the bars for me for singletrack but still effective due to the overall output, perfect for helmet. I had them both on the bars on a road bike over the weekend, one on high and the other on flash, very impressive for the road, you see signs reflecting your light a mile down the road. Have done some testing with Rob's lenses as well.

Rakuman said:
has anyone tried one of these yet ? looks like it would be good on the helmet . defiantly got a hot spot I'm thinking with one of Robs lenses it would be really good.

#9 ·
GEOMAN said:
Hey Rakuman
We have been testing the MJ-808E's for a while now. I ran 2 lastnight on a 5 hr MTB ride, one on the bars and one on the helmet, runtime for one XM-L on an OLS 8.7Ah pack is about 5.5 hrs (2 hrs 40 mins on a 4.5). Not enough flood on the bars for me for singletrack but still effective due to the overall output, perfect for helmet. I had them both on the bars on a road bike over the weekend, one on high and the other on flash, very impressive for the road, you see signs reflecting your light a mile down the road. Have done some testing with Rob's lenses as well.
The XM-Ls look like there is a lot of potential there, did the hotspot washout the trail at anytime? that's why I was thinking of Rob and one of his lenses to tone it down just a tad.
Any idea if you will be selling these ?

#10 ·
The XM-L has tested well in the MJ-808 lighthead so far. The MJ-808E XM-L lighthead is the big brother to the P7, the beam pattern is so similar to the very successful P7 but hotspot larger and more intense, halo is brighter and the throw is excellent.

When paired with the diffuser lenses it really spreads the light around for handlebar mounting as well but out of the box the MJ-808E is ideal for a single light user to helmet mount, excellent for roadies who want the throw for riding at 30mph. We also noticed when running 2 of these on open fast singletrack they worked nicely as a pair, one on the bars and one on the helmet, tighter switchback singletrack would be easier with a flood style pattern on the bars and the MJ-808E on the helmet. Really nice efficiency as well, 2hrs 40 runtime on high on a standard GMG or OLS 4.5Ah battery pack. We have provided feedback to Magicshine on the samples and we are discussing orders based on a couple of items we suggested.

Rakuman said:
The XM-Ls look like there is a lot of potential there, did the hotspot washout the trail at anytime? that's why I was thinking of Rob and one of his lenses to tone it down just a tad.
Any idea if you will be selling these ?

#12 ·
I ordered from him. His name is Chris and he's local to San Diego. Nice guy. I would recommend ordering from him if you want it fast, he has an in with FedEX.

I also order one of the XML Kadioman $25 torches. They forgot the batteries I ordered and it took 4 weeks. I really like the torch. I'll do a review of the Magic Shine XM-L and the Kadioman XM-L torch if you guys are interested. I still can't believe how much light these things put out. It's right up there with my $350 HID Search light. The HID lens is more concentrated, but I think the XM-L LED's throw more light. I guess I should look into lenses for the XML units. Who has a link for them?

#14 · (Edited)
Mine shipped from DX today :thumbsup: I haven't had a MS light before but this is going to be compared to my current AyUp setup and then I'll decide whether it's a backup light or whether it earns more frequent usage.

Ordered just over a week ago, maybe 8 days or so to shipping from ordering but that included Easter so not too bad. Now just gotta wait and see how long postage takes to Oz.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808...e-1000-lumen-led-bike-light-set-4x18650-57100

#15 ·
Now having personally seen one of these XM-L s compared to the P7 in my backyard there is no comparison XM-Ls are blinding good light. cannot wait to get it on the trail:thumbsup:

#17 ·
there's a tear down thread on the DIY lights forum that might be of interest. Sounds like it has very good throw and brighter than the P7 MS, but built with the same underspecced crap parts that the original MS was. Even if you bought it and ran it 'til it broke, then upgraded the driver, it'd still be a pretty good buy.

#19 ·
Sorry, couldn't find this thread, it turned up yesterday finally.

It's actually very nice, more powerful than 2 x P60 XML torches, nice blue tint which I like, gets very hot stationary but fine when moving at all.

It's quite a wide beam so you do lose some distance wise, but not badly.

Reflector could be better, looks glued in won't come out so I can try to find another but hey, what do you expect for $60 :)

Beams wide enough to work on the bars without an issue to.

#23 ·
Been using my MS XM-L for a couple rides now I love it compared to the P7 magicshines its not a huge difference but defiantly noticeable.. very spotty, its a good helmet light :thumbsup:

#24 ·
MS XM-L is more spotty, hmmmm shame 1 I got is more of a Mid, huge output though, great head mounted for slow / technical stuff likely work very well on the bars to.

MS for my head / This other cheaper version for my bars, could be the way forward.

Or just BOTH on my head :)

#25 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.