Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

magicshine XM-L

31K views 147 replies 36 participants last post by  starthere 
#1 · (Edited)
has anyone tried one of these yet ? looks like it would be good on the helmet . defiantly got a hot spot I'm thinking with one of Robs lenses it would be really good.
http://bikeempowerment.com/Magicshine.html

#73 · (Edited)
I have decided (begrudgingly) to purchase another MS lightset while I wait for my recall replacements.

What is the collective opinion re: the MS 900 vs 1000 XM-L?
1000 all the way but make sure you get the 6.0 battery they do suck the juice

#75 ·
I do not know the reason why they use so much juice maybe because the drive them so hard, they sure get hot fast maybe someone who knows will chime in.

#77 ·
The XML is driven harder than the 808 P7. As I recall a quickie test I did of the current draw at the battery (not led), the result was low 1.4 amp from the P7 and high end of 1.5 amps (closer to 1.6 amps) from the XML. However the lux also relate to the amount of light. I set up a ceiling bounce test where I got a 37 lux reading from the MJ808 P7 and the MJ808E XML yielded 63 lux.

They probably could have driven the led lower and get the same runtime as the old P7, but will it be much more noticable brighter? I'm guessing if the older P7 OTF lumen is 500 to 600, then the XML is close to 700 to 800.

#78 · (Edited)
The XML is driven harder than the 808 P7. As I recall a quickie test I did of the current draw at the battery (not led), the result was low 1.4 amp from the P7 and high end of 1.5 amps (closer to 1.6 amps) from the XML. However the lux also relate to the amount of light. I set up a ceiling bounce test where I got a 37 lux reading from the MJ808 P7 and the MJ808E XML yielded 63 lux.

They probably could have driven the led lower and get the same runtime as the old P7, but will it be much more noticable brighter? I'm guessing if the older P7 OTF lumen is 500 to 600, then the XML is close to 700 to 800.
I agree with Colleen's findings out on the trail, as far lumen output on the XM-L. I would add that the color temperature of the LED (at least the one I received) is considerably cooler than the Baja Designs Strykr MC-E that I am used to. Luckily color preference is a matter of personal opinion - for that reason I'll keep my opinion to myself.

I have my own thoughts (one of my thoughts was "rad") on the MS XM-L but obviously I can't be completely objective. Does anyone out there have a Baja Designs Strykr and an MS XM-L they can compare out on the trail? I say out on trail because I don't believe in strictly backyard testing, I don't think you get a full feel of a systems capability from the safety of the porch. I am very curious as to what you guys think.

I do realize they are a little bit apple and orange, (the Strykr a 700 lumen system vs. the claimed 1000 of the MS light) but from a consumer/rider's point of view I would like to hear what you guys think.

#85 ·
After watching this thread for awhile I decided to order one of the magicshine XM-L lights with a 6ah geoman battery before I sent my only MS batery in for recall. So here's by side by side, real world, seat of the pants first impression. The XM-L is considerable brighter even on the med. setting than the P-7 on high. I shitched batteries to make sure my aging battery didn't cause some of the difference but there was no change. I've seen some posts writing about the shorter run times of the XM-Ls and using Geomans estimated run times for a 6ah battery you should get 5.25 hrs. on the brighter XM-l set on med. compared to 4.25 hrs. to the P-7 set on high.. Thought this was worth sharing. MRMOLE

#93 ·
Rakuman, Nice on going efforts. Now would you be running 2 of these lights with identical lenses on the bars? or is this a single unit application?

Anyway, what tape do you have on front and how did you manage to get those circles so precise? I have 4 spare clear stock MS lenses to play around with.

#94 ·
Rakuman, Nice on going efforts. Now would you be running 2 of these lights with identical lenses on the bars? or is this a single unit application?

Anyway, what tape do you have on front and how did you manage to get those circles so precise? I have 4 spare clear stock MS lenses to play around with.

Seeing it seems to have a bunch of throw still just like the stock light but nice bright spill I'm going to run it by itself for testing. But hell ya two of these would kick butt.and would be the end result.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I just use a scribe compass to do your circles but tape is not what you want you either need to sandblast or acid etch the ring on to create a frosted ring that will light up and bounce light against your reflector. you can get etching cream at most craft stores any glass store would blast it for a couple of bucks. Before you go and start messing with your lenses let me test this on the trail and see if it is what it looks to be. the dimensions have to be pretty close to what I have for it to work. If the ring goes to far towards the center of the light it goes real floody but you lose throw, if you go to far to the outside it basically gets no bounce affect. I will post the dimensions on Tuesday when I get back from testing it for a couple of days at So Cals finest Hurkey Creek:thumbsup:

Reactions: Cat-man-do
#95 ·
I went ahead and switched out the reflectors for last night's ride. I figured I just had to know how it was going to do with the SF-15 reflector. Yep, turns out my initial call was correct. The SF-15 reflector seems to spread the beam a little more. Not the best for helmet use but would definitely get the call for on the bars.

#96 ·
I just picked up one of these as my first commuter light. So far I am very please with it. I have a few questions for you magicshine vetrans:

1. During the day, does having the blue button light on all day drain the battery?
2. Where can I get a better mount? I don't mind the rubber band mount so much, but it refuses to stay put on my handlebars.

-j

#97 ·
Well after some killer rides the last two days here it is I'm done I satisfied single XM-L frosted rim on the bars:thumbsup: stock XM-L on the helmet. Judge for yourself. I will post DIY dimensions later I'm beat.

Control Pic

Stock MS XM-L on helmet

Modified MS XM-L Frosted perimeter rim on bars

#99 ·
good job Rakuman !
if you want , I could send you a goody bag with with lenses, reflectors, etc, to play with.
probably want $20 to cover shipping, and will take 2 beers, to dig that stuff out,...
the MS XML has not caught up yet, and most ride with 1x light, what is not enough , to start playing with lenses, or spreaders.
Lumen wise, the MS is the same construction, so too smaller body, same driver, same multi piece construction, and cheap base, what makes the LED run hot, and the lumen go down after 10 min.
compared to the Baja Strykr, you get about same lumens, but the Baja, as a better construction, and design, as such , does get a better and brighter spot. So no free lunch, Baja still rocks.
So far I had not much requests for the Baja, since people are already happy with them.
If I make a few mods, for the Baja Strykr, would be for a handful of Marines, what also take it diving.
with multiple lights, to create a ultra smooth beam for underwater video.
currently in a slump, tight up with work, and health issues, it's hard to push forward.
Did finish my personal light, and it's usable,
a helmet light, dual led, 1000 lumen, has a on/off switch that's it, 90gr, 1/2 height of MS.
and a handlebar light 6x led-x, 3200 lumen (1/2 power), I don't bother pushing it to 5000,
how does it look, well, just like a light mounted on a Enduro, about same size too.
Mounted on same spot too. 2 switches next to shifter, one for 1600, and one more for 1600 more.
call it the LB, Light-Brick, same size, and tough as a local Bruins player.
all this needs some serious power, and chargers. and most weekend warriors , are weight weenies,
and penny pinchers, this definitely would not fit in their pizza and beer schedule.
---
back to MS, the new 868, it's shinny , uuhh, ahh, more important, it gets a new shell.
this should be a better heat path, and a new driver too. other than that, same old, pretty much same reflector, and you still need two. If you like reflectors ok, otherwise, I'd say, right now, for the low end budget, a 4x XPG plus, it's where it is. with 7x you can ride with one light, otherwise, get a 4x and keep your old MS . why, most still like the spot, and 4x xpg are better then 1x xml, better design too.
oh, there was a business guy in britan, always on the cell phone, and summer time, cleaning the pool, always managed to drop his 500 buck phone in the pool. So, since a guy, he looked around, and be practical, stuck his phone in a condome, to waterproof it. He did get a good response, so he went to get some colored ones, and packaged it nicely, and put a patent out.
thought , it was funny, and successful , probably need something like that for MS lights, for improvements.
cheers, Rob

#101 · (Edited)
Thanks Rob
Sorry about chopping up one of your masterpieces I figured it would be a good place to start.
I was typing my last post when this one come thru
I personally think most people ride with 2 lights that's why I tried to make this one a better fit for the bars to compliment a helmet light.
Your completely right about multiple XPG's will kick a single XM-L in a hearbeat, longer runtimes and cooler too.
My project was to try to get the most out of this relatively inexpensive $$ XM-L:)

#100 · (Edited)
Ya its the camera its a hundred times brighter in real life that's why I don't like to take beam pics they always dim out for me. It looks real bright threw the viewfinder but when I take the pic the camera over compensates :eek:
We all know what the stock XM-L beam should look like now take my stock pic and compare it to the mod pic that flood smokes it except for over all throw and intensity in the hotspot, but what can we expect out of a single led flood light,,One that will throw as far as a spot thats not going to happen. With these two combined I didn't feel at anytime that I wish I had more light and at $54 for the lightheads its hard to beat. at first i was cautious that my theory was going to work but no sh*t its nice and floody and its got decent throw. sure you can get more flood and throw but its going to take either a good reflector or more leds I just tried to get this light to do it with out having to buy something aftermarket
Ya Hurkey creek is my favorite ride I do it at least once a week you can ride all day and never see the same patch of trail or another rider if you do it on a weekday, Helps that I live at the base of the mountain and its only a 25 minute drive.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

#103 ·
Well I spent 2 hours reading my cameras user guide and I think I have things right now these are to MTBR settings
6 SECONDS AT F4 - WHITE BALANCE - DAYLIGHT

Stock Magicshine XM-L lens

Modified Magicshine XM-L lens

Stock Magicshine XM-L lens

Modified Magicshine XM-L lens

I am going to blast some lenses for some friends tomorrow I will take some pics and post a how to.:thumbsup:

#104 · (Edited)
Alright spent some time with my sandblast booth and came up with another lens, Its in between a flood and the stock lense, smooths things out and gives almost full stock XM-L throw, Paired with my flood lens it makes a great handlebar combo nice and floody in tight but nice spot out deep.

Flood Spot & Flood handlebar combo

Floody spot

How to DIY

Just use clear masking tape to make your center masking that way you can make a dot in the center of your lens to line up your masking.
To do the floody spot use the same dimensions as the flood lens the get some pinstripe tape or 1/8" masking tape at a auto paint store, some auto parts stores sell this stuff.
After you have it masked take it to a glass shop that has a blaster and have them frost the lens shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks takes no more than 5 minutes to do the blasting. put the blasted side of lens inside of light.
I do not know if acid etching will give you the same affect when you blast glass it leaves indentations that refract light, I think acid gives a smoother surface, someone else can try that one,:)

I tried the flood lens with the MS 900 and that P7 does not have the punch to make this mod work :madman:
looks like this is a XM-L only mod but at $54 per lightheads https://www.geomangear.com/index.ph...ducts_id=305&zenid=3580rhg7k63lip7o9g2guhk896 it makes a inexpensive and effective bar light combo. sure I'm running two lightheads and two batteries but in my opinion its worth it.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I will get in the field beamshots soon of the floody spot and the handlebar combo soon:)

#107 ·

If you had to,,, you could rebuild them but for $54 bucks why spend the time? and stock they are pretty much a helmet light but with a few simple mods as seen above the make a killer handlebar light.
Right now I am running 3 of these,
2 on the bars that have been modded and one stock on the helmet:thumbsup:
Thats around 2200 realistic lumens for less than $400 total with 3 - 6.0 batteries and accessories helmet and bars covered:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
http://www.geomangear.com/index.php...ducts_id=303&zenid=ndjqigt1anjikq5kr2f92mo8h1

#113 ·
My thought is... We can produce locally what other countries produce. We can sell those products at a comparable price, definitely not cheaper, but comparable. If the price of gas (for trans-global shipping) continues to rise, we may even be able to match foreign prices. So, with that in mind, I try to buy locally as much as I can. I even try to support local shops selling non-local product. However, this is the first purchase I've made online, straight from foreign, that I feel we could never price match. It's scary, the thought that foreign labor+shipping 10,000 miles is cheaper than local labor+shipping 1000 miles. I'm feeling a little guilty about my purchase.... We are trading our economy for cool cheap (bright as hell) plastic toys... :(

By the way, this is my first post. Greetings from Asheville, land of the wookies.

#115 ·
I have one more lens to share with you guys this one is floody and you get almost full throw
My favorite as of now when paired with the notched lens you get a nice smooth floody beam that transitions to almost full XM-L throw all you have to do to make this one is get some pet friendly screendoor screen its thicker than normal screen.and hold it tight to the lens when you blast.

#116 ·
I have one more lens to share with you guys this one is floody and you get almost full throw
My favorite as of now when paired with the notched lens you get a nice smooth floody beam that transitions to almost full XM-L throw all you have to do to make this one is get some pet friendly screendoor screen its thicker than normal screen.and hold it tight to the lens when you blast.
Rakuman, you have some amazing ideas regarding lens mod patterns. :thumbsup:

Noticeably better than the last (with double concentric circles) I presume?

#119 ·
:thumbsup:I just went for my first ride with these lights this morning (4 A.M.) I had one on my helmet and one on the bars. I tell you what, having one on the bars and one on the helmet is the cats pajamas!!! I am VERY impressed with the output (Now, I concede here I am a newb when it comes to bike lights so factor that in) they are all the light I could ever imagine needing. THANK YOU GEOMAN!!!:thumbsup:

#120 ·
Savagesam Congrats on getting into night riding seeing you are a newb a word of advice with these lights they create a lot of heat so dim them to low when you are moving slow or standing still so they don't overheat. 10 miles Hr+ crank em up.:thumbsup:

#124 ·
I picked up one of these after my Niterider Moab HID died this week. I tested it out last night in stock form and its certainly a bargain at $90 and would work well with a group ride but using as just a helmet mount light on a solo ride it wasn't as bright as I would like. The HID that I was used to had a much whiter beam and was much deeper. I found myself hitting obstacles way to fast because I couldn't see them approaching. All in all I think its a bargain but it won't work for me. I'm thinking of trying one of there 1600 lumen lights; does anyone have any experience with those?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.