Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: magicshine XM-L

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rschultz101 View Post
    good job Rakuman !
    if you want , I could send you a goody bag with with lenses, reflectors, etc, to play with.
    probably want $20 to cover shipping, and will take 2 beers, to dig that stuff out,...
    the MS XML has not caught up yet, and most ride with 1x light, what is not enough , to start playing with lenses, or spreaders.
    Lumen wise, the MS is the same construction, so too smaller body, same driver, same multi piece construction, and cheap base, what makes the LED run hot, and the lumen go down after 10 min.
    compared to the Baja Strykr, you get about same lumens, but the Baja, as a better construction, and design, as such , does get a better and brighter spot. So no free lunch, Baja still rocks.
    So far I had not much requests for the Baja, since people are already happy with them.
    If I make a few mods, for the Baja Strykr, would be for a handful of Marines, what also take it diving.
    with multiple lights, to create a ultra smooth beam for underwater video.
    currently in a slump, tight up with work, and health issues, it's hard to push forward.
    Did finish my personal light, and it's usable,
    a helmet light, dual led, 1000 lumen, has a on/off switch that's it, 90gr, 1/2 height of MS.
    and a handlebar light 6x led-x, 3200 lumen (1/2 power), I don't bother pushing it to 5000,
    how does it look, well, just like a light mounted on a Enduro, about same size too.
    Mounted on same spot too. 2 switches next to shifter, one for 1600, and one more for 1600 more.
    call it the LB, Light-Brick, same size, and tough as a local Bruins player.
    all this needs some serious power, and chargers. and most weekend warriors , are weight weenies,
    and penny pinchers, this definitely would not fit in their pizza and beer schedule.
    ---
    back to MS, the new 868, it's shinny , uuhh, ahh, more important, it gets a new shell.
    this should be a better heat path, and a new driver too. other than that, same old, pretty much same reflector, and you still need two. If you like reflectors ok, otherwise, I'd say, right now, for the low end budget, a 4x XPG plus, it's where it is. with 7x you can ride with one light, otherwise, get a 4x and keep your old MS . why, most still like the spot, and 4x xpg are better then 1x xml, better design too.
    oh, there was a business guy in britan, always on the cell phone, and summer time, cleaning the pool, always managed to drop his 500 buck phone in the pool. So, since a guy, he looked around, and be practical, stuck his phone in a condome, to waterproof it. He did get a good response, so he went to get some colored ones, and packaged it nicely, and put a patent out.
    thought , it was funny, and successful , probably need something like that for MS lights, for improvements.
    cheers, Rob
    Thanks Rob
    Sorry about chopping up one of your masterpieces I figured it would be a good place to start.
    I was typing my last post when this one come thru
    I personally think most people ride with 2 lights that's why I tried to make this one a better fit for the bars to compliment a helmet light.
    Your completely right about multiple XPG's will kick a single XM-L in a hearbeat, longer runtimes and cooler too.
    My project was to try to get the most out of this relatively inexpensive $$ XM-L
    Last edited by Rakuman; 07-12-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Rakuman that indeed is looks very promising! Given the choice between 1st and second setup only, I'd ride with the 2nd setup in heartbeat.

Perhaps I can send you some stock glass lenses to blast for me. I'd renumerate you of course. Nicely done!

mtbr member
    Well I spent 2 hours reading my cameras user guide and I think I have things right now these are to MTBR settings
    6 SECONDS AT F4 - WHITE BALANCE - DAYLIGHT

Stock Magicshine XM-L lens

Modified Magicshine XM-L lens

Stock Magicshine XM-L lens

Modified Magicshine XM-L lens

I am going to blast some lenses for some friends tomorrow I will take some pics and post a how to.

mtbr member
    Alright spent some time with my sandblast booth and came up with another lens, Its in between a flood and the stock lense, smooths things out and gives almost full stock XM-L throw, Paired with my flood lens it makes a great handlebar combo nice and floody in tight but nice spot out deep.

Flood Spot & Flood handlebar combo

Floody spot

How to DIY

Just use clear masking tape to make your center masking that way you can make a dot in the center of your lens to line up your masking.
    To do the floody spot use the same dimensions as the flood lens the get some pinstripe tape or 1/8" masking tape at a auto paint store, some auto parts stores sell this stuff.
    After you have it masked take it to a glass shop that has a blaster and have them frost the lens shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks takes no more than 5 minutes to do the blasting. put the blasted side of lens inside of light.
    I do not know if acid etching will give you the same affect when you blast glass it leaves indentations that refract light, I think acid gives a smoother surface, someone else can try that one,

I tried the flood lens with the MS 900 and that P7 does not have the punch to make this mod work
    looks like this is a XM-L only mod but at $54 per lightheads http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...ip7o9g2guhk896 it makes a inexpensive and effective bar light combo. sure I'm running two lightheads and two batteries but in my opinion its worth it.
    I will get in the field beamshots soon of the floody spot and the handlebar combo soon
    Last edited by Rakuman; 07-19-2011 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rakuman, HUGE kudos to you for all the experimenting you're doing with the lenses! I'm really impressed with beamshots!

I'll have to see if there is a glass shop anywhere in my area once I order a XM-L light.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Are these lights rebuildable/upgradeable? In stock form are they better as a bar mount light or a helmet mount?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGESAM View Post
    Are these lights rebuildable/upgradeable? In stock form are they better as a bar mount light or a helmet mount?
    If you had to,,, you could rebuild them but for $54 bucks why spend the time? and stock they are pretty much a helmet light but with a few simple mods as seen above the make a killer handlebar light.
    Right now I am running 3 of these,
    2 on the bars that have been modded and one stock on the helmet
    Thats around 2200 realistic lumens for less than $400 total with 3 - 6.0 batteries and accessories helmet and bars covered
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...kq5kr2f92mo8h1

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post

If you had to,,, you could rebuild them but for $54 bucks why spend the time? and stock they are pretty much a helmet light but with a few simple mods as seen above the make a killer handlebar light.
    Right now I am running 3 of these,
    2 on the bars that have been modded and one stock on the helmet
    Thats around 2200 realistic lumens for less than $400 total with 3 - 6.0 batteries and accessories helmet and bars covered
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...kq5kr2f92mo8h1
    Thanks for the reply. I was just thinking that when CREE comes out with something that's a big step up in lumens, it might be worthwhile to use one to try to learn how to do it. Also While I'm here does GMG sell any of those glow in the dark O-rings? Or do you know where to get them? I seen a pic. of one of GMG lights with the GITD O-ring in it and it looked really neat. Thanks for reading.

mtbr member
    Also While I'm here does GMG sell any of those glow in the dark O-rings? Or do you know where to get them? I seen a pic. of one of GMG lights with the GITD O-ring in it and it looked really neat. Thanks for reading.
    I Have not got a clue maybe Geoman Will chime in.
    I'm not associated with Geoman what soever except that Ive bought a boatload of lights from him. Based on Price and the best customer service in the industry you can not go wrong purchasing from him

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I Have not got a clue maybe Geoman Will chime in.
    I'm not associated with Geoman what soever except that Ive bought a boatload of lights from him. Based on Price and the best customer service in the industry you can not go wrong purchasing from him
    I couldn't agree with you more. Plus they've put up with me asking a million questions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can get the GITD O-rings from Dealextreme.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How long do you guys think before MS comes out w/ a cordless 600 real lumens for under 100 bucks. Might be right around the corner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My thought is... We can produce locally what other countries produce. We can sell those products at a comparable price, definitely not cheaper, but comparable. If the price of gas (for trans-global shipping) continues to rise, we may even be able to match foreign prices. So, with that in mind, I try to buy locally as much as I can. I even try to support local shops selling non-local product. However, this is the first purchase I've made online, straight from foreign, that I feel we could never price match. It's scary, the thought that foreign labor+shipping 10,000 miles is cheaper than local labor+shipping 1000 miles. I'm feeling a little guilty about my purchase.... We are trading our economy for cool cheap (bright as hell) plastic toys...

By the way, this is my first post. Greetings from Asheville, land of the wookies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well I bit the bullet and ordered two of them. They should be here tomorrow. Thanks GEOMAN. Btw GEOMAN is great to deal with so far. I look forward to continuing to do business with this company.

mtbr member
    I have one more lens to share with you guys this one is floody and you get almost full throw
    My favorite as of now when paired with the notched lens you get a nice smooth floody beam that transitions to almost full XM-L throw all you have to do to make this one is get some pet friendly screendoor screen its thicker than normal screen.and hold it tight to the lens when you blast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have one more lens to share with you guys this one is floody and you get almost full throw
    My favorite as of now when paired with the notched lens you get a nice smooth floody beam that transitions to almost full XM-L throw all you have to do to make this one is get some pet friendly screendoor screen its thicker than normal screen.and hold it tight to the lens when you blast.

Rakuman, you have some amazing ideas regarding lens mod patterns.

Noticeably better than the last (with double concentric circles) I presume?

mtbr member
    It would be interesting to see this mod in a head to head with the Bikeray II. Cool stuff there Rakuman.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Rakuman, you have some amazing ideas regarding lens mod patterns.

Noticeably better than the last (with double concentric circles) I presume?
    This new one is not as intense in the spill as the solid frosted rim but big improvements in throw.
    My goal with these mods is to have a pair of XM-L bar lights that I can you use in every situation thats why one flood and one with a smoothed out throw that in an instant I can tilt one light up or down to bomb down that fireroad at 30+ or that tight singletrack. By themselves they are OK better than stock spot XM-L for the bars but used as a pair that's were they shine.

Cat what I would really like to try is the Ray2 reflector in this XM-L light head it would be great if you could get some good flood without diffusing the light at all.

Last edited by Rakuman; 08-03-2011 at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just went for my first ride with these lights this morning (4 A.M.) I had one on my helmet and one on the bars. I tell you what, having one on the bars and one on the helmet is the cats pajamas!!! I am VERY impressed with the output (Now, I concede here I am a newb when it comes to bike lights so factor that in) they are all the light I could ever imagine needing. THANK YOU GEOMAN!!!

mtbr member
    I just went for my first ride with these lights this morning (4 A.M.) I had one on my helmet and one on the bars. I tell you what, having one on the bars and one on the helmet is the cats pajamas!!! I am VERY impressed with the output (Now, I concede here I am a newb when it comes to bike lights so factor that in) they are all the light I could ever imagine needing. THANK YOU GEOMAN!!!
    Savagesam Congrats on getting into night riding seeing you are a newb a word of advice with these lights they create a lot of heat so dim them to low when you are moving slow or standing still so they don't overheat. 10 miles Hr+ crank em up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just went for my first ride ....... they are all the light I could ever imagine needing.
    It always starts out as that and then very surely the lust for more lumens sets in!

Welcome to the dark side!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Savagesam Congrats on getting into night riding seeing you are a newb a word of advice with these lights they create a lot of heat so dim them to low when you are moving slow or standing still so they don't overheat. 10 miles Hr+ crank em up.
    Thanks for the tip, I appreciate any and all advice. Also, Thanks to the guy a few replies up who said I can get the G.I.T.D. O-rings from deal extreme. Rakuman does the front bezel just unscrew easy peasy? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    It always starts out as that and then very surely the lust for more lumens sets in!

Welcome to the dark side!!!
    Oh man do I believe you. That "Welcome to the dark side" made me smile. That's what we tell newbs on another website I frequent. Thanks for the welcome.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I picked up one of these after my Niterider Moab HID died this week. I tested it out last night in stock form and its certainly a bargain at $90 and would work well with a group ride but using as just a helmet mount light on a solo ride it wasn't as bright as I would like. The HID that I was used to had a much whiter beam and was much deeper. I found myself hitting obstacles way to fast because I couldn't see them approaching. All in all I think its a bargain but it won't work for me. I'm thinking of trying one of there 1600 lumen lights; does anyone have any experience with those?

mtbr member
    So you used only a helmet light no light on the bars? Hummmm These lights are extremely spotty and the spill does not give out to much light. but realistically that bright spot reaches way past 100 yards. sounds like you need a good flood on the bars. with the simple mods I did above fills in that spill so you can see every feature 10 to 60 ft in front of your bike but also it reaches a good 75 yards. pair that with the spot on the helmet and you don't miss much.

in this picture is the stock XM-L you see the first tree is about 30 feet away then there is a dead area until you get to around 50 then its all hotspot each one of these orange trees are at least 20 feet wide and have a couple of feet between them so as you can see its plenty bright way out there but lacking up close, these pics were taken with the lights angled to demonstrate their maximum throw, and if you were pointing it down closer in front of you of course its going to light up were ever you look.

Pair that with something like this to light up everything up close and I cant out run it.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 08-05-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast