Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: magicshine XM-L

mtbr member
    Notice this now you can see the roof line 2 houses down that's about 130" throw is much improved

I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

just a Newbie
    The XML is driven harder than the 808 P7. As I recall a quickie test I did of the current draw at the battery (not led), the result was low 1.4 amp from the P7 and high end of 1.5 amps (closer to 1.6 amps) from the XML. However the lux also relate to the amount of light. I set up a ceiling bounce test where I got a 37 lux reading from the MJ808 P7 and the MJ808E XML yielded 63 lux.

They probably could have driven the led lower and get the same runtime as the old P7, but will it be much more noticable brighter? I'm guessing if the older P7 OTF lumen is 500 to 600, then the XML is close to 700 to 800.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen c View Post
    The XML is driven harder than the 808 P7. As I recall a quickie test I did of the current draw at the battery (not led), the result was low 1.4 amp from the P7 and high end of 1.5 amps (closer to 1.6 amps) from the XML. However the lux also relate to the amount of light. I set up a ceiling bounce test where I got a 37 lux reading from the MJ808 P7 and the MJ808E XML yielded 63 lux.

They probably could have driven the led lower and get the same runtime as the old P7, but will it be much more noticable brighter? I'm guessing if the older P7 OTF lumen is 500 to 600, then the XML is close to 700 to 800.
    I agree with Colleen's findings out on the trail, as far lumen output on the XM-L. I would add that the color temperature of the LED (at least the one I received) is considerably cooler than the Baja Designs Strykr MC-E that I am used to. Luckily color preference is a matter of personal opinion - for that reason I'll keep my opinion to myself.

I have my own thoughts (one of my thoughts was "rad") on the MS XM-L but obviously I can't be completely objective. Does anyone out there have a Baja Designs Strykr and an MS XM-L they can compare out on the trail? I say out on trail because I don't believe in strictly backyard testing, I don't think you get a full feel of a systems capability from the safety of the porch. I am very curious as to what you guys think.

I do realize they are a little bit apple and orange, (the Strykr a 700 lumen system vs. the claimed 1000 of the MS light) but from a consumer/rider's point of view I would like to hear what you guys think.
    Last edited by Baja Designs; 07-06-2011 at 02:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    I agree with Colleen's findings out on the trail, as far lumen output on the XM-L. I would add that the color temperature of the LED (at least the one I received) is considerably cooler than the Baja Designs Strykr MC-E that I am used to. Luckily color preference is a matter of personal opinion - for that reason I'll keep my opinion to myself.

I have my own thoughts (one of my thoughts was "rad") on the MS XM-L but obviously I can't be completely objective. Does anyone out there have a Baja Designs Strykr and an MS XM-L they can compare out on the trail? I say out on trail because I don't believe in strictly backyard testing, I don't think you get a full feel of a systems capability from the safety of the porch. I am very curious as to what you guys think.

I do realize they are a little bit apple and orange, (the Strykr a 700 lumen system vs. the claimed 1000 of the MS light) but from a consumer/rider's point of view I would like to hear what you guys think.
    Sorry Guys for not getting you beamshots from the trail I'm not the type of guy who carry's a camera and will stop to take a bunch of beamshots.while I am on my ride time on the trail is more important to me. My backyard comparisons shots will have to do. Shannon stop trying to make a sales pitch on a MS thread: just kidding Shannon you are always the salesman ..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Sorry Guys for not getting you beamshots from the trail I'm not the type of guy who carry's a camera and will stop to take a bunch of beamshots.while I am on my ride time on the trail is more important to me. My backyard comparisons shots will have to do. Shannon stop trying to make a sales pitch on a MS thread: just kidding Shannon you are always the salesman ..
    Haaah!! Just...can't...stop...

I really do want to know, the one I have (MS) was a very cool color (white with a tinge of blue) and I am wondering if they are all the same. Doesn't really matter I suppose, it's still a sweet little light. Love ya Rakuman! (not in the Biblical sense)

Shannon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon View Post
    Haaah!! Just...can't...stop...

I really do want to know, the one I have (MS) was a very cool color (white with a tinge of blue) and I am wondering if they are all the same. Doesn't really matter I suppose, it's still a sweet little light. Love ya Rakuman! (not in the Biblical sense)

Shannon
    Do you have the 3 mode or the 4 mode model? the 4 mode is noticeably whiter in tint and a bit brighter I all the pics I took above with the flood lens were with the 3 mode model I should try it with the brighter one and see how it looks. ? Shannon an another thread you mentioned that Rob was working on some lenses for your BD lights do they also have the thick cones on them I personally think all that plastic eats up alot of light and if he just made a thin flood lens would solve that. Oh ya right back at Ya

mtbr member
    Do you have the 3 mode or the 4 mode model? the 4 mode is noticeably whiter in tint and a bit brighter I all the pics I took above with the flood lens were with the 3 mode model I should try it with the brighter one and see how it looks. ? Shannon an another thread you mentioned that Rob was working on some lenses for your BD lights do they also have the thick cones on them I personally think all that plastic eats up alot of light and if he just made a thin flood lens would solve that. Oh ya right back at Ya

I got the 3 mode model from GM, it is a nice bright little thing - very white with just a tinge of blue, I like it.

Rob is working on something for the Strykr Pro. I agree with you, the TIR is something that is (nearly) bullet proof and was part of a military/off-road racing project, as such it is VERY tough but not the most efficient light transferring lens in the world. I much prefer a reflector and clear lens for punching light out. Hey Rob...any word on that aftermarket reflector??

mtbr member
    .... I personally think all that plastic eats up alot of light and if he just made a thin flood lens would solve that. Oh ya right back at Ya
    Rakuman, I agree. I like what you did with the flood lens. The result is much better than the original. Like Shannon I much prefer a proper designed reflector. Since you seem to be dead set on running two 808E's on the bars, your solution looks pretty good for the time being.

Now a while back there was a thread and someone had a link to an optic that was usable on a P-7/MC-E for providing more flood. Don't know what it would do with an XM-L. No time to look for the thread or link right now, off to work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Rakuman, I agree. I like what you did with the flood lens. The result is much better than the original. Like Shannon I much prefer a proper designed reflector. Since you seem to be dead set on running two 808E's on the bars, your solution looks pretty good for the time being.

Now a while back there was a thread and someone had a link to an optic that was usable on a P-7/MC-E for providing more flood. Don't know what it would do with an XM-L. No time to look for the thread or link right now, off to work.
    Actually I am getting a little obsessed with trying to make it a good single light bar lens Here is tonights experiment I have a glass lens on top to simulate having a clear center should get all that XM-L throw but a ton of floody spill it looks pretty good on my studio wall we will see tonight

mtbr member
    May 2011
    After watching this thread for awhile I decided to order one of the magicshine XM-L lights with a 6ah geoman battery before I sent my only MS batery in for recall. So here's by side by side, real world, seat of the pants first impression. The XM-L is considerable brighter even on the med. setting than the P-7 on high. I shitched batteries to make sure my aging battery didn't cause some of the difference but there was no change. I've seen some posts writing about the shorter run times of the XM-Ls and using Geomans estimated run times for a 6ah battery you should get 5.25 hrs. on the brighter XM-l set on med. compared to 4.25 hrs. to the P-7 set on high.. Thought this was worth sharing. MRMOLE

mtbr member
    Actually I am getting a little obsessed with trying to make it a good single light bar lens Here is tonights experiment I have a glass lens on top to simulate having a clear center should get all that XM-L throw but a ton of floody spill it looks pretty good on my studio wall we will see tonight
    Well field tested this ^ setup by itself on the bars on some good singletrack much better than original but still not the intensity or throw I'm looking for so far fail

So back to the drawing board I'm done trying to modify Robs lenses so I figured i would try modifying a clear lens and low and behold this is what I have to show for it

^ Stock XM-L with clear lens

^ Same XM-L with Modified stock lens

I will post the pattern I put on it after I have field tested this week on a real trail I figure Hurkey Creek will work

Its a really simple and cheap mod to make this a good bar light it works on the P7s also but doesn't have that XM-L punch

mtbr member
    ....So back to the drawing board I'm done trying to modify Robs lenses so I figured i would try modifying a clear lens and low and behold this is what I have to show for it....
    .......I will post the pattern I put on it after I have field tested this week on a real trail, I figure Hurkey Creek will work Its a really simple and cheap mod to make this a good bar light it works on the P7s also but doesn't have that XM-L punch [/B]
    I've also noticed some interesting options on this web site. Click onto their "diffusion lens comparison" link. and they offer two options. I think the one with the "Acrylite FF P99", looks like it might work well. Basically a lens with a very light diffusion coating. With something like that you should still get some throw but more outward spill. The LDF coating on the other hand would absolutely kill the throw.

It would be nice if you could get a custom lens, something with just a center area with a light frosting that fades as it goes outward. Whatever you do, you don't want to completely kill the throw. So far looks like you're on the right path.

mtbr member
    I've also noticed some interesting options on this web site. Click onto their "diffusion lens comparison" link. and they offer two options. I think the one with the "Acrylite FF P99", looks like it might work well. Basically a lens with a very light diffusion coating. With something like that you should still get some throw but more outward spill. The LDF coating on the other hand would absolutely kill the throw.

It would be nice if you could get a custom lens, something with just a center area with a light frosting that fades as it goes outward. Whatever you do, you don't want to completely kill the throw. So far looks like you're on the right path.
    Actually I'm kind of thinking the opposite of you Cat here is a ceiling shot of a lens diffused in the center

as you see your still not getting the spill intensity as this one diffused on the perimeter

What I am thinking what if you do not diffuse the center at all and let all that throw out but bounce the spill against the opposite side of the reflector in a way intensifying the spill without taking away from the direct path of the hotspot there is a fine line between bounce and diffuse to much clear in the center and it becomes a spot, to much diffuse on the perimeter and you lose throw.
    I have wasted a lot of lenses trying to figure this one out put your thumb on the center of your light and the spill does nothing.. reflect that spill back on the reflector in it intensifies
    So here is my simple way to make it bounce back

I'm not saying this is the only way to get a floody pattern but it does seem to work and is pretty simple. It does not make the spill wider like a reflector would but it makes it brighter hence more useable light on the side of the trail. I have not put it to trail but it looked pretty good in the street last night I'm planning on hitting some really good trails tomorrow night who know it might look like sh*t in real use.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 07-09-2011 at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    [B]Actually I'm kind of thinking the opposite of you Cat.... ]...What I am thinking what if you do not diffuse the center at all and let all that throw out but bounce the spill against the opposite side of the reflector in a way intensifying the spill without taking away from the direct path of the hotspot there is a fine line between bounce and diffuse to much clear in the center and it becomes a spot, to much diffuse on the perimeter and you lose throw...:
    Okay...hummm....looks like you're on to something here. If your right then it would be a ring of light frosting around the perimeter, tapering out toward the center. Later tonight I have some stuff I can fool around with but I am not real good with a razor knife. Maybe I'll just let you figure out the fine points.

edit:...something else I just figured out....I switched reflectors with my SF-15 P-7 torch. The OP on the SF-15 is a much lighter texture. I thought it would produce more of a hot spot but it does the opposite. It gives the 808E a much smoother beam pattern. Just looking at wall shots it does give a slightly wider hot spot but the rest of the beam pattern is really smooth.

I also figured out that when you tighten the front of the ( stock )808 down real good it produces a narrower beam...so...since this is what I wanted anyway I'm happy. Now if I use these on the bars I will likely switch reflectors.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 07-09-2011 at 03:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Okay...hummm....looks like you're on to something here. If your right then it would be a ring of light frosting around the perimeter, tapering out toward the center. Later tonight I have some stuff I can fool around with but I am not real good with a razor knife. Maybe I'll just let you figure out the fine points.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about I shouldn't call it diffusion I'm a glass artist for a living and have a sand blaster set up for glass so if you have every seen a sandblasted window with a light behind it where it is blasted it glows intensely, take this to our lights and put a 1000 lumen led behind it and that suckers going to light up but good , now put that next to a mirrored surface and its going to lite up and bounce to the other side and all over that reflector eventually that bounce is going to come out as spill. bingada bangada boom

mtbr member
    That's exactly what I'm talking about I shouldn't call it diffusion I'm a glass artist for a living and have a sand blaster set up for glass so if you have every seen a sandblasted window with a light behind it where it is blasted it glows intensely, take this to our lights and put a 1000 lumen led behind it and that suckers going to light up but good , now put that next to a mirrored surface and its going to lite up and bounce to the other side and all over that reflector eventually that bounce is going to come out as spill. bingada bangada boom
    Darn you post quick...I edited my post just before you posted this...

mtbr member
    Darn you post quick...I edited my post just before you posted this...
    Ya I'm sitting at my desk right now and and get a notification every time someone posts on a subject I'm attached too.
    I'm just having fun trying to figure out a way to get these suitable on the bars, at $54 bucks If I can get these lights to work on the bars that will be allot of light for the money. and I have a bunch of spare lenses so why not.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 07-09-2011 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Rakuman, Nice on going efforts. Now would you be running 2 of these lights with identical lenses on the bars? or is this a single unit application?

Anyway, what tape do you have on front and how did you manage to get those circles so precise? I have 4 spare clear stock MS lenses to play around with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Rakuman, Nice on going efforts. Now would you be running 2 of these lights with identical lenses on the bars? or is this a single unit application?

Anyway, what tape do you have on front and how did you manage to get those circles so precise? I have 4 spare clear stock MS lenses to play around with.

Seeing it seems to have a bunch of throw still just like the stock light but nice bright spill I'm going to run it by itself for testing. But hell ya two of these would kick butt.and would be the end result.
    I just use a scribe compass to do your circles but tape is not what you want you either need to sandblast or acid etch the ring on to create a frosted ring that will light up and bounce light against your reflector. you can get etching cream at most craft stores any glass store would blast it for a couple of bucks. Before you go and start messing with your lenses let me test this on the trail and see if it is what it looks to be. the dimensions have to be pretty close to what I have for it to work. If the ring goes to far towards the center of the light it goes real floody but you lose throw, if you go to far to the outside it basically gets no bounce affect. I will post the dimensions on Tuesday when I get back from testing it for a couple of days at So Cals finest Hurkey Creek

mtbr member
    I went ahead and switched out the reflectors for last night's ride. I figured I just had to know how it was going to do with the SF-15 reflector. Yep, turns out my initial call was correct. The SF-15 reflector seems to spread the beam a little more. Not the best for helmet use but would definitely get the call for on the bars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just picked up one of these as my first commuter light. So far I am very please with it. I have a few questions for you magicshine vetrans:

1. During the day, does having the blue button light on all day drain the battery?
    2. Where can I get a better mount? I don't mind the rubber band mount so much, but it refuses to stay put on my handlebars.

-j

mtbr member
    Well after some killer rides the last two days here it is I'm done I satisfied single XM-L frosted rim on the bars stock XM-L on the helmet. Judge for yourself. I will post DIY dimensions later I'm beat.

Control Pic

Stock MS XM-L on helmet

Modified MS XM-L Frosted perimeter rim on bars

mtbr member
    Rakuman, I have a feeling the camera ( or camera settings ) are not doing the lights justice...Unless of course you are just using something like a cell phone camera and if so then it makes sense. By the way, those trails look nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    good job Rakuman !
    if you want , I could send you a goody bag with with lenses, reflectors, etc, to play with.
    probably want $20 to cover shipping, and will take 2 beers, to dig that stuff out,...
    the MS XML has not caught up yet, and most ride with 1x light, what is not enough , to start playing with lenses, or spreaders.
    Lumen wise, the MS is the same construction, so too smaller body, same driver, same multi piece construction, and cheap base, what makes the LED run hot, and the lumen go down after 10 min.
    compared to the Baja Strykr, you get about same lumens, but the Baja, as a better construction, and design, as such , does get a better and brighter spot. So no free lunch, Baja still rocks.
    So far I had not much requests for the Baja, since people are already happy with them.
    If I make a few mods, for the Baja Strykr, would be for a handful of Marines, what also take it diving.
    with multiple lights, to create a ultra smooth beam for underwater video.
    currently in a slump, tight up with work, and health issues, it's hard to push forward.
    Did finish my personal light, and it's usable,
    a helmet light, dual led, 1000 lumen, has a on/off switch that's it, 90gr, 1/2 height of MS.
    and a handlebar light 6x led-x, 3200 lumen (1/2 power), I don't bother pushing it to 5000,
    how does it look, well, just like a light mounted on a Enduro, about same size too.
    Mounted on same spot too. 2 switches next to shifter, one for 1600, and one more for 1600 more.
    call it the LB, Light-Brick, same size, and tough as a local Bruins player.
    all this needs some serious power, and chargers. and most weekend warriors , are weight weenies,
    and penny pinchers, this definitely would not fit in their pizza and beer schedule.
    ---
    back to MS, the new 868, it's shinny , uuhh, ahh, more important, it gets a new shell.
    this should be a better heat path, and a new driver too. other than that, same old, pretty much same reflector, and you still need two. If you like reflectors ok, otherwise, I'd say, right now, for the low end budget, a 4x XPG plus, it's where it is. with 7x you can ride with one light, otherwise, get a 4x and keep your old MS . why, most still like the spot, and 4x xpg are better then 1x xml, better design too.
    oh, there was a business guy in britan, always on the cell phone, and summer time, cleaning the pool, always managed to drop his 500 buck phone in the pool. So, since a guy, he looked around, and be practical, stuck his phone in a condome, to waterproof it. He did get a good response, so he went to get some colored ones, and packaged it nicely, and put a patent out.
    thought , it was funny, and successful , probably need something like that for MS lights, for improvements.
    cheers, Rob

mtbr member
    Ya its the camera its a hundred times brighter in real life that's why I don't like to take beam pics they always dim out for me. It looks real bright threw the viewfinder but when I take the pic the camera over compensates
    We all know what the stock XM-L beam should look like now take my stock pic and compare it to the mod pic that flood smokes it except for over all throw and intensity in the hotspot, but what can we expect out of a single led flood light,,One that will throw as far as a spot thats not going to happen. With these two combined I didn't feel at anytime that I wish I had more light and at $54 for the lightheads its hard to beat. at first i was cautious that my theory was going to work but no sh*t its nice and floody and its got decent throw. sure you can get more flood and throw but its going to take either a good reflector or more leds I just tried to get this light to do it with out having to buy something aftermarket
    Ya Hurkey creek is my favorite ride I do it at least once a week you can ride all day and never see the same patch of trail or another rider if you do it on a weekday, Helps that I live at the base of the mountain and its only a 25 minute drive.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 07-12-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast