Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: magicshine XM-L

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am thinking of building my own mini battery for helmet mounting. I will use either a 2 x 18650 cell holder or like you go with a lite-weight polymer pack ( something like this )

Is that the same connector as the Magicshine. Can't tell but it looks like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    I am thinking of building my own mini battery for helmet mounting. I will use either a 2 x 18650 cell holder or like you go with a lite-weight polymer pack ( something like this )

Is that the same connector as the Magicshine. Can't tell but it looks like it.
    No that is a typical BatterySpace two prong connector. If I used this battery I would purchase some extra MagicShine type connectors and convert the battery over to the MS type plug. ( or just make a two plug converter extension. ) What ever makes the most sense depending on what charger I want to use.

mtbr member
    Here Cat this ones for you

Photobucket
    Deal extremes
    Photobucket
    Geomans
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Thanks Rakuman. The beam pattern looks pretty much the same. I think the difference is that the GM version is just brighter so more residual light around the hot spot. Regardless I think the GM version wins!

mtbr member
    I think you are right looking at the pics Geos is brighter with more residual spill which in turn the further out its pointed the wider the spill seems. I will try to get some longer distance pics soon.

GeoMan
    Hey Rakuman, thanks for sharing beam shots. Cree has done an amazing job developing the XM-L led, it's unbelievably powerful, the throw on that Magicshine XM-L is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    I think you are right looking at the pics Geos is brighter with more residual spill which in turn the further out its pointed the wider the spill seems. I will try to get some longer distance pics soon.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Geoman,
    I just got my Geoman MS XM-L light head tonight and yes this is one bright little light. I can't wait to try it out on the trails. Now I know I only ordered the light head but it would of been nice if that order had included a couple O-rings or at least just one. Without an O-ring you have no way to use it.

GeoMan
    Hey Cat, we generally include a set of o'rings with each lighthead, they must have been omitted accidently, email your order number to geoman@geomangear.com and we'll send a set out to you. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Geoman,
    I just got my Geoman MS XM-L light head tonight and yes this is one bright little light. I can't wait to try it out on the trails. Now I know I only ordered the light head but it would of been nice if that order had included a couple O-rings or at least just one. Without an O-ring you have no way to use it.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Chromagftw This ones for you,,
    This should be good real good If its not to late I will try to take some beam shots tonight after my ride if this works I going to have to get another for the helmet, tonight I will have to be satisfied with P7 up top.

Photobucket

mtbr member
    OK took her for a spin tonight and was a little disappointing the clear lens worked as it should like a p7 on steriods NICE! but the Robs Soft lens loses way to much intensity further than 25 feet.. oh well time to try some more different lenses. going to try a wide lens and I'm going to sandblast a few different patterns in some lenses I want a good flood any suggestions?

Photobucket
    Robs soft lens by itself
    Photobucket
    Soft lens and clear spot combined

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN View Post
    Hey Cat, we generally include a set of o'rings with each lighthead, they must have been omitted accidently, email your order number to geoman@geomangear.com and we'll send a set out to you. Thanks
    Thanks Geoman, I knew I could count on you.

Right now I have the MS XM-L mounted on my old Dinotte 200L helmet mount. Seems to be working pretty good although I might need an O-ring that is a little tighter to cut down wobble. I still need the O-rings for bar mounting though just in case I want to try that as well. I still haven't had a chance to really get a good look at the beam pattern outside. Hopefully tomorrow I will get home from work early and have a good look-see.

So far this looks like a great value. I don't how you got them to change the mode sequence but major, major Kudos and one tip of the hat. Heck, even the low mode on this light has decent throw.

mtbr member
    I got the chance tonight to flash the Geoman Magicshine XM-L around tonight while doing my job. Whoa! but this light is impressive!. It doesn't quite have the narrow throw pattern that my Kaidomain C-8 torch has but it looks like it will reach and give good usable visibility into the 175-200ft range. Like you said, the beam pattern widens the more farther out you point it.

Still, I can't help thinking that it wouldn't be real hard for someone with machining skills to make a front adapter that would allow it to use the C-8 reflector. It would only need to be another inch or so longer but I suppose it would add a bit of weight to the light head. Anyway, with C-8 reflector it would be a total throw monster. ( I'll try to get a beam pic comparison of the reflectors at a later date )

Anyway, just my initial impressions. I see lots of potential for this light. More on that when I finally get a couple rides under my belt while using it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks a ton Rakuman for running that test setup!

I'm sorry to hear Robs soft lens didnt work out as well as we had wanted with the XML, but I have to believe it is still better than the MS900 P7 with that exact lens... I might be wrong however as I am unable to do a side by side comparison.

Good that you have some ideas up your sleeve....

mtbr member
    Well I got my first ride tonight under my belt with the MS 808E on the helmet. I was very impressed with the beam pattern. Yeah, I could still wish for more throw in certain situations but for most of the stuff I ride it's almost perfect. To be more precise if you're riding trails that weave, are wide with lots of hard turns that have boo-koo hidden obstacles....This is the light you want on your helmet. Now for an all-out-no-holds-bar downhill run with lots of straightaways you could wish for a little more throw ( however I've yet to test it in that kind of situation. Maybe later this week if the rain stays away )

So far my only complaint is that it doesn't have memory. If you turn it off while on low, when you turn it back on it comes on in high. Still, It has 3 usable modes with a circular pattern ( H-M-L-H-M-L....) that I absolutely love. I can deal with the lack of memory. Besides most of these lights don't have memory anyway. Lastly, it looks like it works real well with the DiNotte helmet mount and is easy to adjust on the fly. The only thing left to do is to try to buy a battery that I can helmet mount as well.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do you know which reflector came in the the new XM-L? Is it the same as the P7 light head?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ...I don't how you got them to change the mode sequence but major, major Kudos and one tip of the hat.
    Uh, they didn't.

Magicshine came out with a new driver back in September, 2010, along with the whiter, brighter D bin P7. This was the model MJ-808.

The XML is the MJ-808E, with same driver/control sequence/housing/reflector/battery/charger, only difference is LED.

So, its been H-M-L for going on a year now, for all MS900 MJ-808s sold everywhere, not just Geoman. GMG had nothing to do with it.

mtbr member
    Ok Ive been playing DIY tonight and Rob might not like this but I hacked up one of his lenses to see what if we get rid of all this plastic will it improve the intensity and throw judge for yourself

Robs lens on first test I had this one before he started adding a reflector to them, I had cut off the tabs so they would fit in a stock MS reflector then I fire polished after taking this picture

Robs lens after I cut it on a band saw and fire polished tonight

Stock Robs lens with tabs off

Thin cut modification

I would like to see a even thinner version and maybe clearer if possible Rob if you are listening think you maybe can make some of these up
    I'm not suggesting people start hacking up Robs lenses

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker View Post
    Uh, they didn't.

Magicshine came out with a new driver back in September, 2010, along with the whiter, brighter D bin P7. This was the model MJ-808.

The XML is the MJ-808E, with same driver/control sequence/housing/reflector/battery/charger, only difference is LED.

So, its been H-M-L for going on a year now, for all MS900 MJ-808s sold everywhere, not just Geoman. GMG had nothing to do with it.
    Interesting theory, just one minor problems - the MJ808 I brought from deal extreme 3 months ago has high, low, flash, as does the XML version

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ok Ive been playing DIY tonight and Rob might not like this but I hacked up one of his lenses to see what if we get rid of all this plastic will it improve the intensity and throw judge for yourself

I would like to see a even thinner version and maybe clearer if possible Rob if you are listening think you maybe can make some of these up
    I'm not suggesting people start hacking up Robs lenses
    Nice job Rakuman!

Definitely a noticeable improvement in intensity, throw and spill wise. Such a lens offering without the cone base would also work great in larger light heads as the BD Stryker.

I'd be very interested in several of these for sure.

With a thin cut version (if uniformly thin from center through outer circumference) there might (?) be in issue with the lens rattling between the light head's main body and front screw on housing. I'm pretty sure a double instead of a single o-ring could fix this though.
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 07-06-2011 at 01:55 AM.

mtbr member
    And then theres its good looking younger brother the 868
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Znomit, not too sure about the durability and heat dissipation capacity of those light head bodies - based on pics alone it looks like cheap plastic...

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I have decided (begrudgingly) to purchase another MS lightset while I wait for my recall replacements.

What is the collective opinion re: the MS 900 vs 1000 XM-L?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    I have decided (begrudgingly) to purchase another MS lightset while I wait for my recall replacements.

What is the collective opinion re: the MS 900 vs 1000 XM-L?
    1000 all the way but make sure you get the 6.0 battery they do suck the juice
    Last edited by Rakuman; 07-06-2011 at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    1000 all the way but make sure you get the 6.0 battery the do suck the juice
    I agree, go with the XM-L. Aren't they spec'd to be more efficient than the p7, so in theory shouldn't you get better runtime with the 4.5ah battery than you would with the original p7 lighthead?

mtbr member
    I do not know the reason why they use so much juice maybe because the drive them so hard, they sure get hot fast maybe someone who knows will chime in.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast