Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    but defiantly noticeable..
    Sounds dangerous...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    Sounds dangerous...
    We can always count on your wisdom
    So how is that foride working for you I was thinking about trying one?
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quick update: I took the MS XML out for the first time the other night, well it was more dusk than night and I only really needed it in the last 20 mins or so of the ride but first impressions are pretty good. At close range it doesn't seem a whole lot brighter than my updated AyUp (narrow helmet beam) but once you angle the light a bit further out it seems to have considerably more throw (ie. lights up stuff a greater distance away). I had it on the bars and didn't find it too spotty as the peripheral light around the centre spot is still pretty bright.

Trouble is that because it's brighter than they Ayup when the bars aren't pointing ahead due to curves in the trail, the AyUp helmet light seems insignificant. I guess the brighter light should be helmet mounted but AyUp still beat MS on their compact design, mounts and smaller battery for helmet mounting.

The light unit was warm but not hot at the end, similar to the AyUp (which was on my helmet).

Going to test it out in a 24 hour this weekend so should have some proper night lap reports after that.

p.s I can see a new MS light is out with several XLM lights at 1600 or 1800 lumens! Looks like a nice compact package so maybe that's the ideal helmet light... however a bit pricey at the moment compared to the XML (edit the new ones aren't XML and are twice the price of the MJ808E which I have... doesn't seem worth it at the moment but will watch the reviews with interest)
    Last edited by lokisare; 05-18-2011 at 09:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Its got as much spill as the P7 but that intense hotspot is why I call it more spotty. I was thinking of trying one of these lenses on one for the bar http://cgi.ebay.com/Wide-Angle-Lens-...item45f9ea505e
    check these beamshots http://bikeempowerment.com/PHOTOS/TESTING.html
    Thanks for the links to my website and the flood lens, I just ordered one to test as I'm looking to add flood lenses to my site.
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    We can always count on your wisdom
    So how is that foride working for you I was thinking about trying one?
    First time anyone accused me of that...

I really like the Foride. Extremely bright and still chugging along. I find that I run it one down from high most of the time because high washes out the road a bit. I also run a 700 lumen helmet light for redundancy.

My biggest complaint is that the light is pretty big compared to the MS lights. Not a huge issue though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    24 race update:

I used the MS on my helmet for one lap and then on the bars for two combined both times with AyUps. It's probably better off as a helmet simply because it's brighter than my AyUps and I feel the brighter light should be helmet mounted, it's also got better throw and I find that better on the helmet.

I got just almost exactly 3 hours out of the battery on 100% output but ran it totally dead doing that. The indicator switch went to blue within the first hour (on my helmet so can't say exactly when) then orange in the second hour sometime and was red for last 15-20 mins before the light cut out.

Charging from completely flat took maybe 4 (ish) hours, the charger and the battery stay cool while charging.

mtbr member

Geomans got XM-Ls

I went to Geomans site lastnight to pickup a P7 lighthead for my kid and "what did I see a XM-L looking" up at me" well it was a no brainer for 10 bucks more than the P7 of course I got the XM-L .
    I've been waiting for Geoman to get these before I bought any more purely because of his customer service and coming thru with the recalled batteries.
    I am pretty sure he has got rid of any first run bugs also,cause I asked him a while back and he said he wouldn't carry these until they had them dialed in.
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=303

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Rakuman, good choice on the XML model.

Not sure if you intend on using it as a helmet spot solely. The beam pattern is more focussed and has much sharper cutoff compared with its MJ-808 P7 brother.

Still, I would not hesitate to run 2 of these on the bars, each with RSchultz soft(flood) lenses if you already have something else for the lid. With the naked eye, the difference compared to P7 is obvious.

Given the choice I'd use the XMLs as a flood with Robs soft lens AND as a spot without. A step up from the regular MJ-808 for either application ceteris paribus.

EDIT

I wasn't able to find the water proof rating for the XML model on the site - do you know what it is?
    Last edited by Chromagftw; 06-22-2011 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Rakuman, good choice on the XML model.

Not sure if you intend on using it as a helmet spot solely. The beam pattern is more focussed and has much sharper cutoff compared with its MJ-808 P7 brother.

Still, I would not hesitate to run 2 of these on the bars, each with RSchultz soft(flood) lenses if you already have something else for the lid. With the naked eye, the difference compared to P7 is obvious.

Given the choice I'd use the XMLs as a flood with Robs soft lens AND as a spot without. A step up from the regular MJ-808 for either application ceteris paribus.
    Wow Chromagftw you and I think alike I already have Robs soft lens and another XM-L and I am planning on trying exactly what you proposed, I am also going to try a wide lens spot combo also to compare. I will keep you informed
    last night Geomans statement above about seeing stop signs a mile down road came true no sh*t I could not believe my eyes I kept seeing this flash way in the distance and sure enough it was my light reflecting off a stop sign close to a mile away.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if the mode sequences on the Geoman XM-L model is different from the D/X
    version?? I've been thinking of getting one of these for a while now. D/X is cheaper but GM has the good battery. For me the issue is mode sequence. I like the mode sequence that GM is advertising. If the DX is the same I just might op for the DX version ( as I have other good batteries )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Anyone know if the mode sequences on the Geoman XM-L model is different from the D/X
    version?? I've been thinking of getting one of these for a while now. D/X is cheaper but GM has the good battery. For me the issue is mode sequence. I like the mode sequence that GM is advertising. If the DX is the same I just might op for the DX version ( as I have other good batteries )
    The one I have now Deal extremes or CEPs has 3 mode High, Low, Strobe, PITA, I like Geomans sequence better,
    I have been talking to Geoman about this light since it came out and he did not like the original so he had them change a few things until they got it right, I will compare the two lights when I get Geomans and let you know , XM-Ls are the future of lights to come you just have to control all that heat and power consumption, it was 80 degrees last night when I started my ride so I had to keep it on low until I got really moving having a medium setting will be nice. I cannot wait to try 2 on the bars with the different lenses
    He also has it lighthead only option I think these are going to go fast
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=305
    Last edited by Rakuman; 06-22-2011 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    The one I have now Deal extremes or CEPs has 3 mode High, Low, Strobe, PITA, I like Geomans sequence better,
    I have been talking to Geoman about this light since it came out and he did not like the original so he had them change a few things until they got it right, I will compare the two lights when I get Geomans and let you know , XM-Ls are the future of lights to come you just have to control all that heat and power consumption, it was 80 degrees last night when I started my ride so I had to keep it on low until I got really moving having a medium setting will be nice. I cannot wait to try 2 on the bars with the different lenses
    He also has it lighthead only option I think these are going to go fast
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=305
    Kudo's to Geoman. Hard to believe he got them to change the mode programing. Normally I would not worry too much about the mode changes for a bar light but for a helmet lamp the issue is much more important. The less time you spend with your hand on your helmet changing modes the better. Looks like it might cost about $50+shipping more than the D/X but for the extra money you get three more things: Better modes, a Much better battery and ( need I say ) the much better Geoman Service.

mtbr member

Idea!

If somebody is looking for the beam-shot's they are available on my website, some time ago I wrote short review to compare Magicshine MJ-808 Updated & MJ-808E Cree XM-L

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominik.M View Post
    If somebody is looking for the beam-shot's they are available on my website, some time ago I wrote short review to compare Magicshine MJ-808 Updated & MJ-808E Cree XM-L
    Thanks for the linky Dominik.

mtbr member
    Kudo's to Geoman. Hard to believe he got them to change the mode programing.
    Honestly I don't know what they changed on Geomans behalf if anything, but they changed the modes it for some reason or another, I'm getting mine today I will compare and see if I can figure out what if anything other than modes are different could just have been quality control issues who knows.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 06-24-2011 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Honestly I don't know what they changed on Geomans behalf if anything, but they changed the modes it for some reason or another, I'm getting mine today I will compare and see if I can figure out what if anything other than modes are different could just have been quality control issues who knows.
    Yep, I couldn't pass it up so I ordered one of the light heads last night.. Should have it by next week.

mtbr member
    Double post

mtbr member
    Yep, I couldn't pass it up so I ordered one of the light heads last night.. Should have it by next week.
    With that RaylV on the bars and the MS XM-L on your head will make a killer combo

mtbr member

del

del

just a Newbie
    With that RaylV on the bars and the MS XM-L on your head will make a killer combo
    I do have that combo. It works very well as a package. I have yet to try that on trail but very effective on the street. My MS XML was bought from Bike Empowerment. The only thing I don't like is the color difference. The BR IV is very white and cool while the MS XML hovers between neutral and cool. The spot from the MS XML is like a yellow dot around a flood of white light from the BR IV. Not sure what color retention will Geoman MS XML will be like. Hopefully it is more toward the cool white.

I used a flat 3 amp hr polymer pack from battery space. It was light enough to be helmet mounted with the MS XML also. The battery last 2hrs 10min.
    Last edited by colleen c; 06-24-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen c View Post
    I do have that combo. It works very well as a package. I have yet to try that on trail but very effective on the street. My MS XML was bought from Bike Empowerment. The only thing I don't like is the color difference. The BR IV is very white and cool while the MS XML hovers between neutral and cool. The spot from the MS XML is like a yellow dot around a flood of white light from the BR IV. Not sure what color retention will Geoman MS XML will be like. Hopefully it is more toward the cool white.

I used a flat 3 amp hr polymer pack from battery space. It was light enough to be helmet mounted with the MS XML also. The battery last 2hrs 10min
    I have two XM-L torches. One is a nice neutral white the other is likely cool white and has a tinge of blueness to the beam. I prefer neutral white.

I am thinking of building my own mini battery for helmet mounting. I will use either a 2 x 18650 cell holder or like you go with a lite-weight polymer pack ( something like this )

Colleen, if you don't like the color of the light you might try replacing the XM-L with an XM-L "U-bin". Personally I have no issues blending the different beam tints as long as they are bright.

mtbr member
    Well I got to take out Geomans new version and compare it to CEPs Bike Impowerments or shall I say Deal extremes version, they have made noticeable improvements besides modes
    Like Colleen said Deal extremes has a neutral tint to it, Geomans Is more white,
    The most noticeable is the intense hot spot ring on Deal extremes has been softened and made wider on the Geomans version its a more useful pattern and would be acceptable for the handle bars. I would use the deal extremes only on my head because the hot spot was so intense and spotty.
    I don't know how they made these changes everything including the Leds look the same visually but I like them
    I'm sure you lose a little throw by toning down the hotpot but its not noticeable and well worth it, there is no way you can outrun these lights anyway

mtbr member
    Well I got to take out Geomans new version and compare it to CEPs Bike Impowerments or shall I say Deal extremes version, they have made noticeable improvements besides modes
    Like Colleen said Deal extremes has a neutral tint to it, Geomans Is more white,
    The most noticeable is the intense hot spot ring on Deal extremes has been softened and made wider on the Geomans version its a more useful pattern and would be acceptable for the handle bars. I would use the deal extremes only on my head because the hot spot was so intense and spotty.
    I don't know how they made these changes everything including the Leds look the same visually but I like them
    I'm sure you lose a little throw by toning down the hotpot but its not noticeable and well worth it, there is no way you can outrun these lights anyway
    Oh NO! ...but I wanted the intense hot spot! For me it's like the "rock, paper, scissors" thing. Better mode pattern trumps cost but beam pattern trumps modes. I'll cross my fingers and hope the beam pattern is still what I want for the helmet. If not I might be able to switch out reflectors with my C-8 torch if the reflectors are the same diameter/length.

just a Newbie
    I have two XM-L torches. One is a nice neutral white the other is likely cool white and has a tinge of blueness to the beam. I prefer neutral white.

I am thinking of building my own mini battery for helmet mounting. I will use either a 2 x 18650 cell holder or like you go with a lite-weight polymer pack ( something like this )

Colleen, if you don't like the color of the light you might try replacing the XM-L with an XM-L "U-bin". Personally I have no issues blending the different beam tints as long as they are bright.

That polymer you listed is the same packed I used and mounted on the back of my helmet to balance the MS xml. It is relatively small and lightweight. The pack did not seem so water resistant so I also bought some 2.68 (68mm) shrink wrap from them and the barrel connector. Unfortuantely the connector don't have hood sleeve which makes it more water seal but I ended up using a super size straw slipped over the connector. That battery is much smaller and lighter than the GMG pack although a Dinotte 2 cell works well also as this photo shows.

The runtime from the that polymer pack versus the Dinotte and 2 x 18650 cell is interesting. While the BS pack gave me 2hr 10min, 2 x AW 18650 protected 2900 mah cell yield only 1hr 45min with the MS xml I got when I bench tested those. Don't recall the Dinotte pack but I think it was in the vincinity of 1hr 10min. So it seem that the BS 3000 mah polymer has the best runtime per mah listed. What really shameful is I also test the MS XML with 2 x 18650 ultrafire 3600 mah cell, those only lasted about 40 min of runtime before shutting down. The battery was really warm telling me the IR of the cell are just too high during heavy current draw

I may just leave my XML led alone and not change to the U bin. The warmer tint does have an positive effect when lighting up object with color such as brush, tree and grass. I need to try it on a trail and compare that warmer tint in comparison to my Jetbeam XML which has a much cooler tint to see which one I like for trail and not road. If so, I will keep the warmer MS xml for trail use only

mtbr member
    Oh NO! ...but I wanted the intense hot spot! For me it's like the "rock, paper, scissors" thing. Better mode pattern trumps cost but beam pattern trumps modes. I'll cross my fingers and hope the beam pattern is still what I want for the helmet. If not I might be able to switch out reflectors with my C-8 torch if the reflectors are the same diameter/length.
    Oh no don't mistake my saying its softened by its gone, its still intense. they just smoothed it out so when you look at something 10 feet in front of you it does not wash it out. which the old one would sometimes do. its one of those got to see to kind of things I'm not real good at explaining things.
    Its way spotty still. before you had a defined edge ring hotspot kind of like a bullseye on a target, with the rest of the target radiating spill, they just made it smoother on the edges of the bulleye and a little bigger by maybe 5% Its still primarily a spot just smoother and better in my opinion. I think you wont be disappointed
    Also Cat: if you don't like it I will gladly trade you my dealextreme version

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast