Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Magicshine Warranty update...

Has there been any news? I started this thread so this information doesn't get buried in a 10 page thread somewhere.
    Thanks!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    The news will spread like a battery fire once it is out as of now go to his website and look under recall. he did update that to say

# What are the issues with the batteries?
    We have received three reports of the original Magicshine MJ-808/MJ-818 battery pack (i.e., the one that is shrink-wrapped and enclosed in a nylon-velcro sleeve) overheating and causing fires. The fires have resulted in some property damage, but thankfully none of the reported incidents involved any personal injuries. Although we have not received any reports of overheating or fires associated with the Magicshine battery pack that is enclosed in a metal container inserted into a fabric sleeve (included with MJ-816 lightsets and more recent MJ-808 lightsets), we have the same safety concerns about the battery packs in the metal containers. Our engineering consultants have determined that these two Magicshine battery packs raise potential safety and reliability concerns (e.g., the inclusion of different lithium-ion cell models within the same battery pack).

# Which battery packs are included in the recall?
    All of the Magicshine battery packs that Geomangear sold between June 2009 and November 2010, including all battery packs sold with the MJ-808 and MJ-816 headlight sets and the MJ-818 taillight sets, are included in the recall. The MJ-808 and MJ-818 batteries are either shrink-wrapped and enclosed in a nylon-velcro case or enclosed in a metal canister inserted into a fabric sleeve. The MJ-816 batteries are all enclosed in the metal canister inserted into a fabric sleeve. Geomangear has not sold any of Magicshine's newest battery packs that are enclosed in a hard plastic case, and our engineers have not evaluated those new Magicshine battery packs that other retailers may be offering for sale. Thus, the newest Magicshine battery packs in the hard plastic case are not included in our recall.

# What should I do with my battery now?
    If your battery has been discharged, we recommend that you store it outside in a safe, protected place away from combustible materials (e.g., on concrete). If your battery has been charged recently, we recommend that you connect your battery pack to the light/torch and operate the light until the battery has discharged its power. It is important that you stay close by to monitor the lightset while you are discharging the battery. After you have discharged the battery, store the battery outside in a safe, protected place away from combustible materials. Your recall notice will give more information about the return or disposal of the battery.

in the meantime build some batteries and get out and ride.
    Last edited by Rakuman; 11-30-2010 at 08:00 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking