Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Magicshine Tail Light MJ-818 3W review w/ video

I would like to thank Geoman for the excellent customer service, I ordered the light friday around 2:00pm, shortly after he put it on his site and got it at 12:30pm monday.
    First thing I noticed is the light has a dial around it which is the way to alternate modes, 120 degree turns change the mode. After realizing this I noticed that this means there is no button, which also means no battery gauge. Still the light is super bright from what I have seen so far and well worth the money.
    Obviously this is only a partial review because it's not dark out yet but I went in my basement and took a quick video to show the modes of the light
    Mode 1- Inner and outer lights flashing
    Mode 2- Inner and outer lights alternate flashing and strobe while they are on.
    Mode 3- Inner and outer lights on

If you have any questions feel free to ask and FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN REVIEWS IN THIS THREAD!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6daJlWPZUc
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 05-24-2010 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How long is the wire to the battery by the pictues It seem to short I have my batterys for my m/s900s in my seat bag I was planing to put the light on my rack end on the fender
    and was hopeing that there was a long wire I do not know why they keep puting short wires on the lights

mtbr member
    Wire is about 1 foot, i'm not near the light so I can't give the exact length

GeoMan
    The cable on the lighthead is 18 inches then you can add another 8 inches for the cable coming from the battery so you have 26 inches all up, it is compatible with the standard Magicshine 40 inch extension cable if you need more than the 26.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray66
    How long is the wire to the battery by the pictues It seem to short I have my batterys for my m/s900s in my seat bag I was planing to put the light on my rack end on the fender
    and was hopeing that there was a long wire I do not know why they keep puting short wires on the lights
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Nice job, thanks for the support

Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    I would like to thank Geoman for the excellent customer service, I ordered the light friday around 2:00pm, shortly after he put it on his site and got it at 12:30pm monday.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the info this helps a lot

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the video and review.

Is it possible for you to take a few beam shot pictures 6+ feet away from a wall? A video would be awesome.

It's difficult to gauge the brightness and spread of the light with it pointing directly into the camera.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Yes I can do that sometime today

mtbr member
    I really like the no light up button design because that means the light doesn't draw any current while plugged in so no need to unplug it every time after use.
    I took the light in my basement to take the video and this light can be used as a flashlight if you don't mind the red tint. It is incredible how much light it produces.
    Here is the video, it is taken holding the camera and light 10 feet from the wall. The second mode I really don't care for because of how large the gaps are in the between the flashing strobes and when the outer rings light it up doesn't project nearly any light, that's why the gaps seem so big. Ideally this mode would have been best with a both inner and outer strobing (like the 4th mode on MS900's)
    The camera adjusts to the light in mode 3 so pause it right when it comes up that's how bright it really is. It makes it look duller the longer it's on the screen.
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 05-25-2010 at 12:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Great job so far! How about some outside pictures? What would be really cool is to see it compared to a car's brake light from a real-world distance, like maybe 100 or more feet away...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper
    Great job so far! How about some outside pictures? What would be really cool is to see it compared to a car's brake light from a real-world distance, like maybe 100 or more feet away...
    I can do that at some point but it's obviously only going to be the on mode. You want brake light or tail light, there is a difference

mtbr member
    It's mounted on my bike rack but haven't put the rack back on the bike yet. the light is tipped down because the rack on the bike sits at an angle. I'm going to run the wire under the rack and poke a hole in the bottom of my bag, so the battery and connection are in the bag.

GeoMan
    Good job on all your work GTR, if you feel like another project keep count on your runtime, that 4 cell pack seems like it lasts forever on a single charge.

It's mounted on my bike rack but haven't put the rack back on the bike yet. the light is tipped down because the rack on the bike sits at an angle. I'm going to run the wire under the rack and poke a hole in the bottom of my bag, so the battery and connection are in the bag.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I can do that at some point but it's obviously only going to be the on mode. You want brake light or tail light, there is a difference[/IMG]
    To be visible on the bike, I'm competing with both brake and tail lights. I know a DiNotte 140L competes favorably with a car's brake light. I'd like to see the MS compared to either a car's brake light (if not feasible, then a tail light) or a DiNotte 140L.

I'm considering getting the MS tail light to add to my 140L, but I want to make sure it would be a valuable addition. I have a PBSF and it's virtually worthless next to the DiNotte.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Good job on all your work GTR, if you feel like another project keep count on your runtime, that 4 cell pack seems like it lasts forever on a single charge.
    I plan too

Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper
    To be visible on the bike, I'm competing with both brake and tail lights. I know a DiNotte 140L competes favorably with a car's brake light. I'd like to see the MS compared to either a car's brake light (if not feasible, then a tail light) or a DiNotte 140L.

I'm considering getting the MS tail light to add to my 140L, but I want to make sure it would be a valuable addition. I have a PBSF and it's virtually worthless next to the DiNotte.
    This is true but another inconsistency is what car I'm comparing the light to but I will do it sometime this week. I don't have a diNotte 140L or any good lights besides the 3 made by Magicshine . The 1400 hasn't even gotten used yet
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 05-28-2010 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thank you for the effort of posting that video unfortunately it doesn't really show us much.

perhaps if you have some time add a second light source. a 7-11 storefront, a car headlight or tail light

this way we can compare the relative brightness

thanks!
    Bike 1 - The black one with fat tires
    Bike 2 - The red and silver one with skinny tires

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_nj
    thank you for the effort of posting that video unfortunately it doesn't really show us much.

perhaps if you have some time add a second light source. a 7-11 storefront, a car headlight or tail light

this way we can compare the relative brightness

thanks!
    Thanks for the reiteration of something that I said I'm going to do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the reiteration of something that I said I'm going to do.
    bah that's what i get for not reading the entire thread
    Bike 1 - The black one with fat tires
    Bike 2 - The red and silver one with skinny tires

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Lighthead only / new flash mode

I have already asked Geoman if just the lighthead will be available if you already have a Magicshine headlight and Y cable (like I do). Hopefully he will respond here as well.

I would also recommend a flash mode that keeps the smaller outer lights on all the time and flashes the bright center light. That would be like a Dinotte. Or blink the smaller lights a couple of times between bright flashes like a PB superflash. That way you don't dissapear into a black hole between bright flashes!

Keep up the good work Geoman.

Chuck

GeoMan
    Thanks for the support, we have placed an order for tailights only for those folks who want to share their existing battery and extension cables, it could be a few weeks before we have those in stock, but it works nicely with a Y-cable and a 900/1400 sharing the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by cbcmtb
    I have already asked Geoman if just the lighthead will be available if you already have a Magicshine headlight and Y cable (like I do). Hopefully he will respond here as well.

I would also recommend a flash mode that keeps the smaller outer lights on all the time and flashes the bright center light. That would be like a Dinotte. Or blink the smaller lights a couple of times between bright flashes like a PB superflash. That way you don't dissapear into a black hole between bright flashes!

Chuck
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbcmtb

Chuck
    That is a great idea for a mode but I don't think they are going to change them since the light is already designed. Maybe if there is a V2 a few years down the road.

mtbr member
    GTR2ebike-

I too have a rack, but not a Topeak, mine's a Bontrager, and there is no ready place to mount a light with rubber o-ring mount like this. It looks like, in your case, you had a good horizontal spot and added a plastic piece of tubing to it to get it sized up. I had rigged up something similar, but as the mount was designed for a seatpost, (vertical), I grabbed the bike and bounced it a few times to simulate our wonderfully maintained Los Angeles roads, and the light rotated downward. You should test for this. I ended up using a hose clamp that has a screw that I positioned under the light, so it is stopped from rotating down.

My solution is not as elegant and robust as I would like, so I am off to Home Depot to see what I can come up with. I may end up removing the mount on the lighthead and putting a different clamp on it; we shall see what HD has...

The light itself is plenty bright, and I am currently using a Y cable and MS 900 up front with the 1400 battery tucked under the rack. Just got the whole combo (Thanks Geoman!) and I think it will work nicely on my commutes.
    Tzvia.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzvia
    GTR2ebike-

I too have a rack, but not a Topeak, mine's a Bontrager, and there is no ready place to mount a light with rubber o-ring mount like this. It looks like, in your case, you had a good horizontal spot and added a plastic piece of tubing to it to get it sized up. I had rigged up something similar, but as the mount was designed for a seatpost, (vertical), I grabbed the bike and bounced it a few times to simulate our wonderfully maintained Los Angeles roads, and the light rotated downward. You should test for this. I ended up using a hose clamp that has a screw that I positioned under the light, so it is stopped from rotating down.

My solution is not as elegant and robust as I would like, so I am off to Home Depot to see what I can come up with. I may end up removing the mount on the lighthead and putting a different clamp on it; we shall see what HD has...

The light itself is plenty bright, and I am currently using a Y cable and MS 900 up front with the 1400 battery tucked under the rack. Just got the whole combo (Thanks Geoman!) and I think it will work nicely on my commutes.
    The rubber band is pretty tight on mine and it hasn't moved in the 22 miles i've put on it. Mine also goes around the piece of plastic you see behind the pvc pipe so that helps keep it a little tighter. But that is a good idea to stop it from rotating down, maybe i'll do that just incase because i have quite a few small hose clamps lying around lol.
    I was going to originally remove the mount from the light head and put a screw threw that into the pipe to have it extra secure but when i started looking at the light I noticed it has a notch for the mount which made me think that the mount is the back of the light and if you take it off the guts will be exposed. So i just didn't bother looking for a different solution.

GeoMan
    You can unscrew the mount it's designed as a replaceable item in the event that the mount is damaged then we can just send you another to screw back on.

The rubber band is pretty tight on mine and it hasn't moved in the 22 miles i've put on it. Mine also goes around the piece of plastic you see behind the pvc pipe so that helps keep it a little tighter. But that is a good idea to stop it from rotating down, maybe i'll do that just incase because i have quite a few small hose clamps lying around lol.
    I was going to originally remove the mount from the light head and put a screw threw that into the pipe to have it extra secure but when i started looking at the light I noticed it has a notch for the mount which made me think that the mount is the back of the light and if you take it off the guts will be exposed. So i just didn't bother looking for a different solution.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Ahh I was wrong but that's a good thing, btw I just emailed you Geo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast