Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    I am using it during the day.
    I have a planet bike SB also but I don;t use it since I got my MS taillight
    Agreed on PBSF day use. I have three. Many cyclists do, so they make good referrences.

Even on fresh cells, PBSFs are almost useless in bright daylight (about 12.5 lumens once the NiMH cells settle to 1.2 V. They work in the shade of buildings, trees, or overcast days, but not very far.

I have two Radbot1000s (24-25 lumens with NIMH at 1.2 volt), and two 1.5 watt DIYs 100 lumens each with 12 volt NiMH pack.

So I have measured these lights' outputs but I also made videos:

Daytime video of my lights here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...3&postcount=46

Night videos here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...7&postcount=48

Comparison to car brake lights here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=109

I was wondering if one or two who have the MS tailight could do something similar?
    Last edited by BrianMc; 07-03-2010 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nice job. Thanks for your efforts. I went overboard on lights: Exposure Toro/w red eye, Joystick w/red eye(helmet), MS900 and Dinotte 400 tailight. I know Edison would wet his pants if he saw this light show. I don't have capability to video. I spent all my money on lights. Nick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suba
    I don't know why you guys buy these cheap lights from China when there are good American companies to support that produce quality lights. Take Dinotte for example. The 400 taillight is imo without peer. Buy American. German quality is also good. Anything but China. We had our chance in the 70's and 80't to buy American but people were too greedy and shortsighted. Today China just about owns us.

Don't be a pawn. Don't get played. Buy American before your children are required to study Chinese in school.

Where was your Pugsley made? How about the clothes on your back? Just sayin.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    I don't know why you guys buy these cheap lights from China when there are good American companies to support that produce quality lights. Take Dinotte for example. The 400 taillight is imo without peer. Buy American. German quality is also good. Anything but China. We had our chance in the 70's and 80't to buy American but people were too greedy and shortsighted. Today China just about owns us.

Don't be a pawn. Don't get played. Buy American before your children are required to study Chinese in school.
    ...and Dinotte makes those lights with parts made where? Do the letters SSC mean anything here? Remember, there are American people who also sell those same Chinese made light sets. The U.S. middle man gets to make a buck too. Besides, the Chinese aren't going to get rich selling us cheap electronics. If it was that much of a cash cow there would be more international competition. Damn, wish someone had taught me some Chinese when I was young, some of those Chinese chicks are hot.

On a side note: Happy Independence Day...nice to be free to express yourself and to buy and live the way you want. Cheers...

www.HSmtb.org
    Jan 2004
    This has been a great review and helped me to make the decision to purchase this tail light as well. I've used it once so far and overall I think it is an excellent light, with a couple of significant issues. Just for the sake of information, I have used numerous tail lights in the past including the Niterider universal tail light which is a similar type of light.

The Magicshine tail light is an excellent value. It comes with the first version of the magicshine battery along with the tail light. For the cost, it can't be beat. I also love the compatibility of the system. Right now I use the magicshine 900 helmet light with a battery in my pack and the tail light hooked up to its own battery, but all of the plugs are interchangeable, so I can use the cable extension, the y cable, the batteries all together. It's wonderful!

Problem 1: As it has been noted before, the first version of the battery has mounting problems. It's just not that easy to mount. Not a huge deal, but it's annoying nonetheless

Problem 2: The tail light has an identical mount to the headlights. I question the durability of the wire being so close to the O ring mount, but that's will only be determined through the use of the light. My issue is that the light direction is perpendicular to whatever it is mounted to. In most cases, this will be your seatpost, which is not vertical. This causes the light to hit the pavement about 15 feet behind the bike. There is still ample light for cars to see from far away, but to not be able to point the light directly behind you is a significant flaw. I ended up mounting an aluminum cylinder horizontally behind my saddle rails to attach the light. Problem solved.

I also ordered this from Geoman. Needless to say, it was a smooth process.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    For my MJ-818, i use a small pice of soft plastic about 1" X 1/8" X 1/16" wedged under the bottom edge of the seatpost mount... Pretty much aims the beam level and straight.

Battery pack goes in a Topeak micro-wedge seat pack, fits perfectly with room for the extra cable.

I use it on my road bike, and get plenty of respect from drivers!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

www.HSmtb.org
    Jan 2004
    As I mentioned earlier as well as in another post, I was unhappy with the mount since I move this light on a daily basis to different bikes as well as a trailer and running stroller. I was very concerned about the durability of the light while swapping the o rings all the time since the o ring pushes against the cable.

I decided to change the mount. With a quick modification, I mounted it the light to a reflector bracket and mounted the other part of the bracket to each vehicle I use. I then only have to turn a thumb screw to move it from vehicle to vehicle. I drilled a hole to support the rubber cable protector, so it's pretty safe in the mount.

I also like that the tail light can now move on two axis instead of just one with the original mount. This has solved one of my main complaints of the light not pointing in the right direction.

I'm glad I saved all of the reflector mounts over the years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magicshine Tail Light MJ-818 3W review w/ video-sam_0016_mod.jpg  

Magicshine Tail Light MJ-818 3W review w/ video-sam_0017_mod.jpg  

mtbr member
    Been using the MS taillight since I got mine about 2 weeks after they became available. So far, one person standing at a corner and 3 strangers in cars went out of their way to ask me about the light while I waited at a red light. All said they saw me from at least a block away (in the summer morning daylight) and one said he thought I was a motorcycle cop from down the block. The person standing at the corner mentioned he saw me over a block away coming towards him (MS900 on blink) then saw the rear light and commented on that-4PM summer. Two co-workers also have come up to me to mention my lights and said they saw me down the block as they approached in the morning light. Nobody ever commented on my AAA rear blinkies or my Stella 150 which is now my winter helmet light. And now that it is getting darker in the morning (I commute before the sunrise at this point) I am glad I bought the MS lights. I can't believe I went out last January at 6:15am with just a rear AAA blinkie and crappy AA front light ; I'm not doing that again.
    Tzvia.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    So I'd be interested to know or hear your opinion on the way i made my own rear light with a ms 900 headlight.

Been riding with it for over a year and i know everybody gives me a wide berth.

Basically put a piece of red automotive rear light repair tape and stuck it on the MS900.

The MS 900 already puts out what, 600-700+ lumen, + the tape might decrease that some, so lets say now down to about 500-600 lumens.

How does that relate to the 3W MS taillight and the Dinotte 140 or other high powered rear lights?

Ps. ragnar.jensen i'm going to steal your method rear light mounting =
    "A plastic pipe, some zip ties and anti-slip tape..." ! )

pss. yes i cross posted this to another ms rear light thread to get more responses-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    How does this hold up in the rain. It is good and water tight?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    No it's not german made. So it wouldn't be goodentight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Does anyone know how to open this unit?

I too k the mount off, and screwed it to my saddle bag, but I didn't do anything about the cable and the rubbing wore through the cable (surprisingly fast). Now I need to open it to sort the wire but cannot figure out how to open it yet...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I used to agree with you.

1st off: Not trying to pick a fight and this is way way off topic.

2. That argument is really contrary to what freedom to choose is all about. I believe that if American companies made the best product for the money, then people wouldn't be encouraged to support mediocrity on the grounds of patriotism. I love my country, but to continue to purchase items which do not offer the best value (to me) is just a way to encourage mediocrity. Look at the car companies, GM and chrysler essentially became wards of the state based on about 40 years of inexcusable mediocrity.

3. If you feel the dinotte or whatever gives you superior value, then more power to you. It's all good. My 150 lumen niterider minewt was about $125 when I bought it. I probably would have bought a magicshine had I heard about it or if it was on the market when I made my purchase.

I think the niterider is a great light, and it may well be better than the MS, but to think of a sub-$100 light (the headlight) that puts out about 4-5 times the light of the minewt and then to know that and turn around and buy the nr on the grounds of patriotism is silly. Buying it on the grounds of better perceived value is a much better reason, imo. I hope both companies thrive profitably.

To think of buying anything-but-chinese sounds a little, well....questionable. But maybe that belongs on another thread on another site.

mtbr member
    Old thread but I wanted to see if anyone else has purchased one recently. I just bought two I am impressed with the output. I wish they redesigned the way you switch modes. One light has a stiff dial and the other one is loose.
    Mj-818 - YouTube

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3