Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Back from Home Depot...

I knew I would need a section of pipe to use the band-mount on the taillight on my Bontrager rack, so first I bought a piece of PVC. Then I trekked over to electrical and got conduit clamps, #2 size. Followed that with some plastic-dip for the 900 battery.

My rack had a piece of stamped U s haped metal under the rack for a reflector. It had already broken and had been removed, and would have been useless anyway. I decided to use the two conduit clamps, one attached to each side of where the reflector holder had been attached. Bridging them, a short piece of the PVC pipe. Ugly, but my commuter is a beater Fuji Newest 3.0 frame with a mix of MTB and road bits which would not win a beauty contest anyway. I don't want to dump the Bontrager rack because I otherwise like it, as it is lighter than the Topeak, and I have the cool QR trunk, and plan to buy the basket they make at some point.

While looking at the smooth pipe and thinking of the best way to keep the light from rotating down, I thought- why not plastic-dip it to give the mount something to grip, and tied some thick string around it first, both to hang, and to create an extra bumpy rough spot for the lightmount to grab. Also dipped the two clamps.

The light does not move on that plasticdip surface with the string bumps underneath. Yea! I then took the whole thing outside and turned it towards the sun, turned it on and stepped back. That is visible in daylight for sure! Now I know I will need two more heads and a Y for the sides, so I can get rid of those Sefras blinkies you see on the seatstays in my second pix. Well, I hope this helps others here who plan to use this light on their commute and don't have a chunk of visible seatpost. My only worry is of the PVC breaking, even though it is quite thick, but if it does, I'll use a piece of aluminum pipe. I may yet do that anyway.
    Tzvia.

mtbr member
    I put reflective tape on the piece of pvc pipe on my mount, that is plenty grippy.

GeoMan
    We just received the individual tailight lightheads from the manufacturer, they are available on our site with y-cable and o'rings included.

Quote Originally Posted by cbcmtb
    I have already asked Geoman if just the lighthead will be available if you already have a Magicshine headlight and Y cable (like I do). Hopefully he will respond here as well.

I would also recommend a flash mode that keeps the smaller outer lights on all the time and flashes the bright center light. That would be like a Dinotte. Or blink the smaller lights a couple of times between bright flashes like a PB superflash. That way you don't dissapear into a black hole between bright flashes!

Keep up the good work Geoman.

Chuck
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    We just received the individual tailight lightheads from the manufacturer, they are available on our site with y-cable and o'rings included.
    Geo: Is the length of the cord from the taillight along with the y-cable long enough to connect it to a 900 (old battery) that is mounted on the stem? I typically ride on the roads so I am particularly interested in this set-up for a standard size road bike. I would prefer not to add the 1 meter extension cable as that seems like it would be too much cable.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Taillight head cable is 18 inches
    Y-cable is 12 inches
    Battery cable is 8-9 inches
    that's a total of 38 inches or 3 feet 2 inches

GeoMan
    See GTR's response below he's got the correct numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by punkaccountant
    Geo: Is the length of the cord from the taillight along with the y-cable long enough to connect it to a 900 (old battery) that is mounted on the stem? I typically ride on the roads so I am particularly interested in this set-up for a standard size road bike. I would prefer not to add the 1 meter extension cable as that seems like it would be too much cable.

Thanks in advance.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Dual set-up. It's pretty sweet, I did this because I wanted to have the ability to run one on solid at night and one on strobe and both on strobe during the day.

mtbr member
    Pics from 40 feet away. couldn't really move back any further.
    MS > Taillights
    MS = Brakelights

mtbr member
    Wow that is bright. I may have to get one of those as I already have a magicshine with battery. Nice job with the pics.

GeoMan
    Agreed, something tells me cars shouldn't have any issue seeing you ahead

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ
    Wow that is bright. I may have to get one of those as I already have a magicshine with battery. Nice job with the pics.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    GTR2ebike: I just want to confirm that those pics were only one taillight...correct? It looks that way but your previous post showed a set-up with two lights so I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I will have to try this at night next to my cars brake lights
    Today is a cloudy and I just took this picture The top light is a mars 4 the botton one is the M/S bouth batterys are charged up My m/s tail light looks like the same as the mars 4 I hope my light is not bad out of the box because it is no brighter than the mars 4 [IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by punkaccountant
    GTR2ebike: I just want to confirm that those pics were only one taillight...correct? It looks that way but your previous post showed a set-up with two lights so I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
    Yes that picture is one light on. I took pictures with two on also, it doesn't make much if any of a difference in pictures but in person it certainly does.

mtbr member
    To anyone else who made a bracket out of pipe and has a problem with the light head tilting down. I put a screw in the underside of the pipe just before the end of the ms mount, so now it no longer rotates down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray66
    I will have to try this at night next to my cars brake lights
    Today is a cloudy and I just took this picture The top light is a mars 4 the botton one is the M/S bouth batterys are charged up My m/s tail light looks like the same as the mars 4 I hope my light is not bad out of the box because it is no brighter than the mars 4 [IMG][/IMG]
    How do they compare at night. When I first got my Lupine lights and tried them out in the daylight they were not as impressive as I thought they should be, but once it got dark and I took them out I was impressed. I just ordered the tail light just now so I will get a chance to test it out myself soon.
    Last edited by MaximusHQ; 06-26-2010 at 11:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ
    How do they compare at night. When I first got my Lupine lights and tried them out in the daylight they were not as impressive as I thought they should be, but once it got dark and I took them out I was impressed. I just ordered the tail light just now so I will get a chance to test it out myself soon.
    They are pretty bright either way, first time I looked at my bike from the back(bright out)it hurt my eyes after 5 secs but at night any light will look brighter. When I look behind me (when riding at night) the road and trees are bright red. I'd recommend the light to anyone

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I wrote my question in the other MS taillight thread and thought i will try it here too

Has anybody measured the current draw of the taillight?

How long is the runtime with the standard magicshine battery@4,4Ah in steady mode?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I use a piece of Tesa anti-slip tape on my plastic pipe.

When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1
    I wrote my question in the other MS taillight thread and thought i will try it here too

Has anybody measured the current draw of the taillight?

How long is the runtime with the standard magicshine battery@4,4Ah in steady mode?

Thanks
    I don't think anyone on here knows but it was mentioned in another thread that Geoman ESTIMATED that a 900 taillight on high (180min runtime) and a taillight on steady would run for 160 mins. In theory if you break that down it takes 20 minutes off of the headlights runtime in 180 mins then it should last 180/20=9 x 180 =1620 mins(27 hours) again that is just in my head. I don't know how much sense it will make to someone that isn't in my head(which I hope non of you are)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for your headwork

But I think 27h is too much

ragnar.jensen did a good job in the other MS thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    I don't think anyone on here knows but it was mentioned in another thread that Geoman ESTIMATED that a 900 taillight on high (180min runtime) and a taillight on steady would run for 160 mins. In theory if you break that down it takes 20 minutes off of the headlights runtime in 180 mins then it should last 180/20=9 x 180 =1620 mins(27 hours) again that is just in my head. I don't know how much sense it will make to someone that isn't in my head(which I hope non of you are)
    It doesn't make any sense to me, but then I'm here at my desk and not in your head.
    I'm not sure who of us is the happiest for that

EDIT: It does make sense now. Does that mean I'm in your head?

Anyhow, my estimate after measuring the current pull of the MJ-818 at full blast is about 150 minutes together with a 900 running from one battery.
    That estimate is also based on real-time measurements of my three 900s, who all give me 195 minutes.
    Last edited by ragnar.jensen; 07-02-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    When it's 20 below freezing and the snow lays 10 inches deep, bicycle commuting kind of sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't know why you guys buy these cheap lights from China when there are good American companies to support that produce quality lights. Take Dinotte for example. The 400 taillight is imo without peer. Buy American. German quality is also good. Anything but China. We had our chance in the 70's and 80't to buy American but people were too greedy and shortsighted. Today China just about owns us.

Don't be a pawn. Don't get played. Buy American before your children are required to study Chinese in school.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suba
    I don't know why you guys buy these cheap lights from China when there are good American companies to support that produce quality lights. Take Dinotte for example. The 400 taillight is imo without peer. Buy American. German quality is also good. Anything but China. We had our chance in the 70's and 80't to buy American but people were too greedy and shortsighted. Today China just about owns us.

Don't be a pawn. Don't get played. Buy American before your children are required to study Chinese in school.
    what other lights do you suggest? I'll gladly buy the dinotte, paypal me the difference and I'll support whoever you want.

mtbr member
    Anyone using this for increased day visibility on the road?

If so, are you game for a day and night videos of it riding away especially with something like the Planet Bike SF as a comparison, and posting them here?

Anyone have lux/lumens measurements?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Anyone using this for increased day visibility on the road?

If so, are you game for a day and night videos of it riding away especially with something like the Planet Bike SF as a comparison, and posting them here?

Anyone have lux/lumens measurements?
    I am using it during the day.
    I have a planet bike SB also but I don;t use it since I got my MS taillight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast