mtbr member
    May 2007

Magicshine MJ-880-L2 vs. Gemeni Olympia

I'm looking to replace my old geoman magicshine with a new light. This will be a bar mounted light for night road rides on a MUT, occasional mtb rides and 12/24 hour races.

The two lights look to have similar output levels, but the heavier/cheaper magicshine has the latest xml-l2 and a larger battery. The Gemeni is a good big lighter, but is it worth an extra $70?

What are your thoughts between the two lights?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
    I'm looking to replace my old geoman magicshine with a new light. This will be a bar mounted light for night road rides on a MUT, occasional mtb rides and 12/24 hour races.

The two lights look to have similar output levels, but the heavier/cheaper magicshine has the latest xml-l2 and a larger battery. The Gemeni is a good big lighter, but is it worth an extra $70?

What are your thoughts between the two lights?
    Both should work well. A lamp that uses reflectors ( vs. optics ) will usually have better throw. Reviews of the Olympia have always been positive. Previous editions of the 880 were known to have heating issues but that might not apply to the newer model. Regardless, both will probably over-heat if left on high too long. Both should have good batteries. Not sure if both have voltage indicators.

About the new 880 with XM-L2; You might want to ask about the temperature range of the LED's. ( I don't know what temp/tint range they are using ) Some people might not like it if the LED's are in the 5000K (kelvin) range ( which tends to be a bit warmer or neutral white if you may ) On the other hand some people would love that. If the LED's are in the >6000K range than you will have a more whiter light. Since the XM-L2 emitters have not been out that long I'm not sure how available the brighter bins are. You'll have to ask the vendor to find out which is being used.

About the Olympia: Uses three of the XM-L U2 emitters which are very white and very bright. Should make an excellent bar lamp. Reviews have always been favorable. One of the better selling points of the Olympia is it's UI. The UI is programmable. That means you can set each output level as you wish ( and change it any time you want ). If you really think that you would use that feature than it would be worth the extra money.

( *Note: I do not own either lamp or have seen either lamp in person. )

mtbr member
    May 2007
    are both these reflector lamps?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
    are both these reflector lamps?
    No, the Olympia uses an optic and the 880 uses a reflector.