Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

magicshine mj-880

the best thing about my magicshine mj-880 is the price i paid £102 with a special delievey post how goods that, and what a light it is, i have the mj-872 aswell and to compare id say the mj-880 has a longer throw and brighter than the mj-872 which has a bit wider flood than the mj-880 but paired up together its just a match made in heaven god love magicshine for cheap brightness!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Smile 189 shipped

Note about my links: I'm a lurker and don't usually post so you'll have to add your own http colon slash slash www

Just picked up a MJ-880 from seller ronaku on Ebay for $175 including shipping by using the "make an offer" feature.

ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320838769125

He had them listed at 199.99, he just (within the last hour) upped his price to 225. I'd bet he'll still take 175 though.

Then I headed over to bikeempowerment.com/Magicshine.html and got a helmet mount, extra rubber bands and a cable extension for $14 shipped.

Total price - $189 for a 2000 lumen bar/helmet mount kit with extras. Not too bad.
    Last edited by baconismidog; 01-30-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: <clarification>

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Something to keep in mind this time of year for those of us living in a northern climate, the capacity of the battery drops in cold temperatures. I've done several rides the the 880 with temps in the 20's and after 2 hours it was flashing red and about done. (On high)
    The light draws 2.8A at 7.4V which should be a good average. So with a 6600mAh pack you should get 6600/2800 or 2.36 hours with a new pack at moderate temperatures.

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    i've been out cycling at around freezing point and there is a definite reduction in battery lifespan. I'm using magicshine 4400s so they are probably crap to begin with, but this winter, I've noticed a marked reduction in their lifespans. I hope they recover this spring

mtbr member
    Anyone want to buy a slightly used but minty mj-880? Comes with battery pack, manual, and original box, battery charger and geomangear handlebar mount. PM for details.

EDIT: I also have a mj-808 that I don't use that is for sale too. A bit more used but also works great. Comes with o-rings, battery pack, extension cord, and battery charger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Anyone want to buy a slightly used but minty mj-880? Comes with battery pack, manual, and original box, battery charger and geomangear handlebar mount. PM for details.

EDIT: I also have a mj-808 that I don't use that is for sale too. A bit more used but also works great. Comes with o-rings, battery pack, extension cord, and battery charger.
    Thanks for the lights Abe. They work great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post

Thanks for the lights Abe. They work great!

mtbr member
    You're welcome. Have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I wonder how MJ-880 compares to MJ-808E in terms of throw. Does it have enough throw as a helmet light?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by butasan View Post
    I wonder how MJ-880 compares to MJ-808E in terms of throw. Does it have enough throw as a helmet light?
    It has twice the output of the MJ-808E (about 1500 actual lumens) focused into approximately the same area so it should have twice the throw. This is offset by the fact that the reflection off of near objects is bright enough to cause your pupils to constrict which reduces your night vision. As a helmet light, look once at the near ground and your blinded for the next 2 minutes.
    You reach a point of diminishing returns as you crank up the output.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member

Sure you will get more throw but at what cost the 880 is a pig in weight and size, you are better off with a Xera with a reflector or a 808E for the noggin, keep the 880 on the bars were it belongs
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

this

It has twice the output of the MJ-808E (about 1500 actual lumens) focused into approximately the same area so it should have twice the throw. This is offset by the fact that the reflection off of near objects is bright enough to cause your pupils to constrict which reduces your night vision. As a helmet light, look once at the near ground and your blinded for the next 2 minutes.
    I have the 880 and it is bright as hell. Like airplane landing gear bright. I guess that would be great in some situations (DH on dark soil at night?) but I ride in Texas hill country limestone (grey-white stone) and settings 4&5 are literally unusable. That amount of lumens bleeds any relief out of the terrain and makes riding more difficult.

That said, running the light on 2/5 & 3/5 makes for a really great helmet light. It's not too heavy, throws well and I've only ever got the battery barely into the blue (~70%). Also, the strange green glow deal is kinda nice. It gives just enough light so that you can see your bike/water bottles etc without having to run the full beam.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a Olympia and a MJ-808E as my bar lights, and another MJ-808E as my helmet light. When I point downhill I practically go as fast as under day light so my plan is to ditch one of the MJ-808Es, and get a little more powerful one on my helmet.

I was initially considering Xera + reflector especially because of its light weight, but after I've seen a couple of beamshots I realized that xera's does not seem to have enough throw (as a helmet light) so now I am leaning toward MJ-880.

Quote Originally Posted by baconismidog View Post
    I have the 880 and it is bright as hell. Like airplane landing gear bright. I guess that would be great in some situations (DH on dark soil at night?) but I ride in Texas hill country limestone (grey-white stone) and settings 4&5 are literally unusable. That amount of lumens bleeds any relief out of the terrain and makes riding more difficult.That said, running the light on 2/5 & 3/5 makes for a really great helmet light. It's not too heavy, throws well and I've only ever got the battery barely into the blue (~70%). Also, the strange green glow deal is kinda nice. It gives just enough light so that you can see your bike/water bottles etc without having to run the full beam.
    I didn't know MJ-880 was that bright.
    Last edited by butasan; 03-12-2012 at 09:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    this is really cool. can't wait to get my hands on one

Action LED Lights
    I have a Olympia and a MJ-808E as my bar lights, and another MJ-808E as my helmet light. When I point downhill I practically go as fast as under day light so my plan is to ditch one of MJ-808Es, and get a little more powerful one on my helmet.

I was initially considering Xera + reflector especially because of its light weight, but after I've seen a couple of beamshots I realized that xera's does not seem to have enough throw (as a helmet light) so now I am leaning toward MJ-880.

I didn't know MJ-880 was that bright.
    There is a new lens for the Xera being developed that makes a tighter beam with better throw. There are beam shots here.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There is a new lens for the Xera being developed that makes a tighter beam with better throw. There are beam shots here.
    The beam looks excellent for helmet use. When they become available it will be time for an upgrade for me!

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Does anyone have experience on the run time? I ran the 880 at 70%, 50% and 100% at times but at 1:30 mark it's blinking red already. This is no where near 2.5 hours on high claimed on the box/website. Also I was riding in 45-50 degree weather and the light ran hot.

Has anyone gotten at least 2 hours on high out of the 880?

thanks
    "Didn't your doctor tell you to stop smoking and drinking?" George Burns "Yes but they all died"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Are you the Duke on STR?

I have the MJ 880 (bought it new last month) and mine is also getting around 1:30 on high. I wonder if the manufacture's claim on high power is way off.

Lumen Guinea Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by duke777 View Post
    Does anyone have experience on the run time? I ran the 880 at 70%, 50% and 100% at times but at 1:30 mark it's blinking red already. This is no where near 2.5 hours on high claimed on the box/website. Also I was riding in 45-50 degree weather and the light ran hot.

thanks
    I'm very surprised with the low runtime you are getting. There's a good 30 mins more on blinking red. When you said 40 to 50 degree ambient temperature, do you mean C or F?

On hot nights at slow speeds it still should still yield over 2 hours.
    At 19C/15kmh or just under 10mph I recorded 3 hours plus minus 10 mins in 5 runs. I had a "mutant" one that gave me 3 hours 30 mins over 2 runs. We still put it as 2.5 hours in our website to be safe due to variables.

Last question. You have the MJ 6036 square connector battery, correct? Just need to be sure as some sellers switch batteries.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by duke777 View Post

thanks
    You should try running it all the way to shut off. The nearly 3 amp current draw of the 880 pulls down the voltage of the battery and makes the colors change early. My guess is that if it has just started flashing red and you switch to low it will come back to blue or yellow.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There is a 4000K version of this light now. Anyone got there hands one one yet?

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by jjziets View Post
    There is a 4000K version of this light now. Anyone got there hands one one yet?
    Are you referring to a 4000K color temperature or 4000 lumen output?
    How about a link and then perhaps someone can see what your talking about.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I found it on ebay. but my post count is not 10 yet so i can't post a link. Search for Magichshine MJ880 4000K it looks cool. found the site all so www pyrolights .co.za

Action LED Lights
    Pyrolights in South Africa must have had these custom made with a cooler LED as I haven't heard about it from Magicshine and it's not on the Magicshine website.
    No opinion on whether or not there claims are real but others on this forum have discussed it before.
    (maybe it was someone from Pyrolights)
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ouch found the thread 10xMC-E 5C "4000K HyperBoost 6000+lumen" that got to hurt

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Are you referring to a 4000K color temperature or 4000 lumen output?
    How about a link and then perhaps someone can see what your talking about.
    oops missed your question I was taking about correlated color temperature.

I can post a link now. Pyro 2000 - Pyro also on ebay

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast