Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Correction.
    I monitored with more attention, and it does step down continually, but not as frequently as the MJ-872.
    It does get incredibly hot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just got two MJ-880s today (one for me and one for the wife), and we did a little hike with them tonight. Even though it wasn't high speed singletrack, I can tell that this system puts out helluva lot of light. I had the MJ-870, and this things kills it in every way except weight (but what do you expect if you want to run a big light for long hours). The 870 was a great flood, but to me it seems the 880 throws the light out a lot further.

A quick plug for Chris at bikeempowerment, but paid him at 4 PM on New Years Eve, and still got the two systems in the mail that day, so that I could have them today. Great service and it's cool to be buying from a true biker, as he answered all of my biking related questions and has a crapload of videos showing the system on youtube.

Tex
    Just got my MJ-880 in today! Took it out for a test ride tonight on some singletrack with two friends, one with MJ-816E and the other with MJ-808. The MJ-880 impressed all of us with how much light it threw out, both flood and spot. We went for a 1 1/2 hour ride and I had no problem with the battery running low. Very nice light, I am happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone who wants to light up the trail!!

meep meep !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Damn! They RAISED the price already, lol.
    Hmm, I see what you mean.

Well at $185.00 DX just lost its competitive edge over the UK ebay sellers whose shipping times can be counted in days, rather than weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Runner View Post
    Hmm, I see what you mean.

Well at $185.00 DX just lost its competitive edge over the UK ebay sellers whose shipping times can be counted in days, rather than weeks.
    now it is $ 220! really expensive!

night riding enthusiast
    Crickey! I can't believe that a magicshine is higher priced than the new Gloworm X2 light I've been reading about. What the heck happened? Looks like Magicshine finally went mainstream!
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    Ok, now that I have one of these in my hands Iíll share some measurements and my first impressions.
    Itís smaller than I expected at 2.3Ē wide x 1.18Ē high x 1.96 deep.
    At 4.3oz it seems a little heavy for itís size (the 808 is 3.7oz)
    The mount is wide at the front and narrow at the back so it wonít fit the helmet mount or head strap correctly. You can get it on the mount but I wonít lock in straight ahead. The Magiclight handle-bar clamp-on mount we sell for other MS lights wonít fit this light.
    The buttons are small and a little hard to push. They might be really hard to push with gloves on.
    The cable on the light is 29Ē long. The battery cable is 12Ē
    The beam is about a 10˚ spot, similar to the 808 but a little softer around the edges. It should have a lot of punch on high but as a bar light a little more spill might be better. Iíll take it out on the road tomorrow morning and see how it looks. Iíll be looking into fitting a wide angle lens to it soon.
    The batteries weigh in at 14.1oz. They have a nice hard shell case but the rubber straps are a little small for that much weight. I think it will be a good idea to strap it into a water bottle cage for extra support.
    The connectors are the same 2.1mm x 5.5mm coaxial plug as the rest of the MS lights but the rubber boot is a wide oval instead of round. You can fit the plug of any of the other lights into the battery, it just wonít be water tight. To use another battery with this light youíll have to stretch out the boot or trim the boot or plug to fit. I took a pair of needle nose pliers, stuck the nose into a boot and pulled the handles apart and it worked great. So if you want some longer run times on the 872 or any other light, this might be the ticket. I have some 880 extension cables so if you want to cut them up to make an adapter you could keep the connections water tight. Iíll make some up and list them on the site soon.
    One thing to watch out for is the new Magicshine chargers. They now make 3 different chargers that all look alike. A 1A charger for the 2 cell battery, 1.8A for the 4 cell, and 2.5A for these 6 cells. The 2.5A has the new plug but the only way to tell the other 2 apart is to read the labels. You could easily plug a 2 cell battery into the 2.5A charger but the results could be dangerous.

Overall I think Magicshine has a contender with this light.

Iíll take some pictures in the morning to help show the details and give my impressions from a ride.

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    Jim- I am considering purchase of this light for bar mount. Have you look into fitting a wide angle lens yet?

I currently have the L&M Seca700. I am guessing this light will have significantly better light output. Has anyone run both that could give me your perception of differences?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wavewagon View Post
    Jim- I am considering purchase of this light for bar mount. Have you look into fitting a wide angle lens yet?

I currently have the L&M Seca700. I am guessing this light will have significantly better light output. Has anyone run both that could give me your perception of differences?
    I have a L&M Arc almost 700, and I can barely tell it is on, when I put the 880 overtop it. I had an 870 before, and I could see the more concentrated spot from the L&M when overlaying it, but not with the 880. It actually throws the light fairly decently.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I know the profile is smaller on the new MS 2000l double light, but will it just be better to buy two MS 1000l lights and run a "Y" cable to a 6.0Ah battery? Chris at bikeempowerment.com has a killer mount for the 1000l light. So I'm thinking two of the 1000l with one flood lens and a "Y" cable and 6.0Ah battery may be the ticket and be less in money than the 2000l MS. It will also give you more options to run one on the bars (or two on the bars) and the other on the helmet for less than one 2000l MS light. Moreover, you can still use your old batteries. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by el cap; 01-06-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by wavewagon View Post

It will be awhile until I can get a lens tooled and that's if the volume is high enough to pay for the considerable tooling cost. The 880 does have a pretty nice beam as is. It's a wide spot and lots of spill.
    The comment about using 2 MJ-808's, one with a wide angle lens, for less money isn't a bad idea. (or some of the other choices on sale at the website) I'd stick with the 2 4400mAh stock batteries and have 3 hours of run time instead of 2.

Jim Harger
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    I have a L&M Arc almost 700, and I can barely tell it is on, when I put the 880 overtop it. I had an 870 before, and I could see the more concentrated spot from the L&M when overlaying it, but not with the 880. It actually throws the light fairly decently.
    Thanks for the feedback. I also had the Arc and replaced the head unit with the Seca700. The difference between the Arc and Seca was not that great from what I remember.

meep meep !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lolo View Post
    now it is $ 220! really expensive!
    indeed!!!

Well I've changed my mind now, if I wanted a twin XM-L light I would get the Inton Twin for much less money and available now with U2 bin LEDs rather than T6, so even brighter still.

night riding enthusiast
    @Road Runner... Have you considered the Gloworm X2... It's also a 2 x T6 (not U2 tho). Rated at a conservative 1200 lm rather than Intons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am going to be honest about the 880, it might be too much light for snow biking at the top couple of levels. I ride decently aggressive singletrack in the snow, at speeds approaching my daytime riding in the dirt, but the reflection off the snow is pretty intense. So you can lower the light output down and the problem goes away. Definitely more of a problem on the up when light reflection from a facet of the snow will stay there a little longer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am going to be honest about the 880, it might be too much light for snow biking at the top couple of levels. I ride decently aggressive singletrack in the snow, at speeds approaching my daytime riding in the dirt, but the reflection off the snow is pretty intense. So you can lower the light output down and the problem goes away. Definitely more of a problem on the up when light reflection from a facet of the snow will stay there a little longer.
    There are 5 levels for you to choose from. I can ride singletrack pretty ok with the lowest level if you point the light about 4-5 metres down on the path in front of you - no distance spot at that low setting obviously.

I think many would agree having higher settings on standby is like having a condom in the wallet. Better to have one and not use it than to need it but not have one.

PS, this may sound nuts to many, but has anyone considered using the MJ-818 rear/tail light as a front light in snow? It's like riding using infrared but and don't get glare. I use that tail light as a mood setting in my room, sometimes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrimuir View Post
    There are 5 levels for you to choose from. I can ride singletrack pretty ok with the lowest level if you point the light about 4-5 metres down on the path in front of you - no distance spot at that low setting obviously.

I think many would agree having higher settings on standby is like having a condom in the wallet. Better to have one and not use it than to need it but not have one.

PS, this may sound nuts to many, but has anyone considered using the MJ-818 rear/tail light as a front light in snow? It's like riding using infrared but and don't get glare. I use that tail light as a mood setting in my room, sometimes.

Believe me, I am by no means degrading the light because it is too powerful, as I can't wait to have this on technical downhill during the summer nights. I thought it would give a good understanding of it's power. And while going with a decent amount of speed (> 10 MPH), the high level was perfect with the snow, as the reflection points (different facets of the snow) moves by so fast that it doesn't cause as much of a perceptible glare.

ww.glowormlites.co.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrimuir View Post
    I use that tail light as a mood setting in my room, sometimes.
    hahahaha What type of mood are you trying to set with that!..........Although I did do a similar thing with a red lamp in my reading light back in my early 20's

@Road Runner - good luck with your selection! The light market is very competitive these days with a lot of options available. In the end, customer service and reputation count significantly toward a well produced product. If the after sales support is not there, it doesn't really mater how good the light is.

Cheers

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    hahahaha What type of mood are you trying to set with that!..........Although I did do a similar thing with a red lamp in my reading light back in my early 20's

Bruce
    Gloworm
    NZ
    That's for me to know and for you to imagine, Bruce. Hey, your new light surely looks good. Seems to me it's almost good enough to be a headstrap mounted SCUBA diving light.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Believe me, I am by no means degrading the light because it is too powerful, as I can't wait to have this on technical downhill during the summer nights. I thought it would give a good understanding of it's power. And while going with a decent amount of speed (> 10 MPH), the high level was perfect with the snow, as the reflection points (different facets of the snow) moves by so fast that it doesn't cause as much of a perceptible glare.
    This again may sound silly, but if glare and not brightness is the problem, then a set of specialized (read: sunglasses) glasses may reduce the glare. The glare problem will exist for any high powered light, I would have thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I pulled the trigger and purchased this light. I went on my first ride with it last night. I am coming from a L&M Seca700, I felt this light was sufficient but left me wanting a bit more light especially on fast technical descents. I decided to give the MS 880 a try due to price and the reported lumens it puts out. I am very happy with this light, I like the spill and spot patern. Definately plenty of light for the riding I described above. My riding buddy said he now has "lumen envy." On our ride his L&M Arc battery died (old system, probably on it's last legs). The MS 880 made plenty of light to get both of us down the trail at a decent pace too.

I purchased from Action LED and received excellent customer service. Justin answered many questions over the phone. After a little more thought I decided to give the MS light a try. Placed the order on a Monday, received it on Wednesday and was riding with it on Thursday.

Action LED Lights
    It's Jim not Justin but glad you liked the light. Helmet mounts and head strap for the 880 are on the way.

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    It's Jim not Justin but glad you liked the light. Helmet mounts and head strap for the 880 are on the way.

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    Hey Jim-my appologies for getting your name wrong. Thanks for the great customer service!

Action LED Lights
    I've got some beam shots now that compare the MJ-880 to the MJ-872.
    Beam Shots

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I ordered my MJ 880 from Action LED Lights because of the comment about good service. It is on route and I cant wait to test it out.

I am curious to see if it stays cool in hot weather. I live in AZ and it can be close to 100 degrees at night in the summer months. I am also curious to see how long the battery life lasts. It seems that a lot of light manufactures claim the battery lasts longer than it does. I currently have a Serfas True 1500 which is comparable to the MJ 880, but costs over $100 more. I like it a lot, but the battery life is no where close to 2.5 hours that Serfas claims it runs on maximum setting.

The claimed battery life for the MJ 880 is also 2.5 hours on maximum setting. Can any speak to that?

Action LED Lights
    Something to keep in mind this time of year for those of us living in a northern climate, the capacity of the battery drops in cold temperatures. I've done several rides the the 880 with temps in the 20's and after 2 hours it was flashing red and about done. (On high)
    The light draws 2.8A at 7.4V which should be a good average. So with a 6600mAh pack you should get 6600/2800 or 2.36 hours with a new pack at moderate temperatures.

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast