Looks pretty good to me.

mtbr member
    ooo can't wait for mine to arrive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    Video review posted on YouTube

New Magicshine MJ-880 review from bikeempowerment.com - YouTube

Looks pretty good to me.
    I hate to always be the party pooper ( ) but there is another video on Youtube that shows the light in actual outside use. Regardless, video is just not a good media to give you any idea of what the distance throw is going to be like even though the beam pattern ( width wise ) looks pretty good. Just like with still photos, if you have no distance references you really have no idea how good ( or how bad ) the lamp is actual working. Video camera optics and light sensitivity circuits really can't do justice to what your eyes will actual see when using the lamp. Better than nothing I suppose but the real low down though will come with user comparisons of the previous offerings.

mtbr member
    It seems to be a little overpriced to me, compared to the other offerings. At least it's available...
    "It looks flexy"

Action LED Lights
    Just got a promise from Magicshine that our order will ship tomorrow so we should be on schedule with orders leaving the 1st week of January.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Mine arrived Christmas Eve. Will get out to play in the next couple of days.

First impressions:

A lot smaller than expected, looks really cool.
    Separate up/down buttons for power.
    Gets REALLY hot even using a fan to cool it. Doesn't step down the power as the MJ-872 does. Is this good or bad? Less annoying, but may result in damage.
    Only 2hrs 50min run time - expected more.
    Still only 180 days warranty on the battery and charger - expected more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inigo_Questa View Post
    Mine arrived Christmas Eve. Will get out to play in the next couple of days.

First impressions:

A lot smaller than expected, looks really cool.
    Separate up/down buttons for power.
    Gets REALLY hot even using a fan to cool it. Doesn't step down the power as the MJ-872 does. Is this good or bad? Less annoying, but may result in damage.
    Only 2hrs 50min run time - expected more.
    Still only 180 days warranty on the battery and charger - expected more.
    If you're using a fan and it doesn't step down I would think that to be a good thing....2hr and 50min is not bad. The second charge might get you more and you will likely not use high all the time anyway. Six month warranty on the battery/charger is not bad as long as the light head itself is much longer. Not unusual to get a lifetime warranty on the light head. If you bought from one of the vendors here on MTBR you should be fine.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and enjoy your new toy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Will this light work on the helmet with the current mount (if you modify it)? It looks pretty low profile and I think it will give you a lot of options if you can mount it on your lid and/or one on the bars (4000 lumens).

mtbr member
    I got a chance to use these lights and they are great....good wide spot and really floods the trail... The lower profile head and new mount for the head doesn't bounce around like the previous MagicShine light head...the new mounting strap on the batteries work really well and holds in place....Chris at Bikeempowerment.com has them in stock... He also has a couple videos on the new light...

Single Speed Convert

Magicshine MJ-880 Field Use

So I've used these light for at least two rides now, still very impressed with its performance so I thought I should share what it looks like in the field. This is NOT by any mean scientific, I'm merely showing what it looks like in real life application. Hope you enjoy the show! (it is a show )

Magicshine MJ-880 for Christmas - YouTube
    Life's simple pleasure - RIDE!

mtbr member

Headlight mount

Quote Originally Posted by el cap View Post
    Will this light work on the helmet with the current mount (if you modify it)? It looks pretty low profile and I think it will give you a lot of options if you can mount it on your lid and/or one on the bars (4000 lumens).
    This head will work on the current MagicShine headlight mount...

Action LED Lights
    MJ-880's in stock.
    Back orders will go out today
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    A word of warning with the new mounting strap for the batteries... if you are going to make position adjustments of the battery on the frame...make sure to undo the strap!!! The plastic hooks will scratch up your frame if you try to move them without unhooking them and I can only assume that it will do the same thing if they move around on a ride...I would recommend a protective covering for the frame like the offerings from lizard skin in the area where you are going to mount the battery..

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrsandiego View Post
    A word of warning with the new mounting strap for the batteries... if you are going to make position adjustments of the battery on the frame...make sure to undo the strap!!! The plastic hooks will scratch up your frame if you try to move them without unhooking them and I can only assume that it will do the same thing if they move around on a ride...I would recommend a protective covering for the frame like the offerings from lizard skin in the area where you are going to mount the battery..
    A low cost easy way to protect the frame and/or stop the light or battery from moving is to wrap the area were it mounts with Friction Tape.
    Friction tape is commonly used on the grips of baseball bats but is usually available at most hardware stores. It is slightly tacky on both sides.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    For those people who are mounting this light on your handlebars...which light mount are you using and what has been your experience with it? I need something sturdy enough that the light won't move in those rocky parts.
    Last edited by slimphatty; 12-27-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Action LED Lights
    Ok, now that I have one of these in my hands Iíll share some measurements and my first impressions.
    Itís smaller than I expected at 2.3Ē wide x 1.18Ē high x 1.96 deep.
    At 4.3oz it seems a little heavy for itís size (the 808 is 3.7oz)
    The mount is wide at the front and narrow at the back so it wonít fit the helmet mount or head strap correctly. You can get it on the mount but I wonít lock in straight ahead. The Magiclight handle-bar clamp-on mount we sell for other MS lights wonít fit this light.
    The buttons are small and a little hard to push. They might be really hard to push with gloves on.
    The cable on the light is 29Ē long. The battery cable is 12Ē
    The beam is about a 10˚ spot, similar to the 808 but a little softer around the edges. It should have a lot of punch on high but as a bar light a little more spill might be better. Iíll take it out on the road tomorrow morning and see how it looks. Iíll be looking into fitting a wide angle lens to it soon.
    The batteries weigh in at 14.1oz. They have a nice hard shell case but the rubber straps are a little small for that much weight. I think it will be a good idea to strap it into a water bottle cage for extra support.
    The connectors are the same 2.1mm x 5.5mm coaxial plug as the rest of the MS lights but the rubber boot is a wide oval instead of round. You can fit the plug of any of the other lights into the battery, it just wonít be water tight. To use another battery with this light youíll have to stretch out the boot or trim the boot or plug to fit. I took a pair of needle nose pliers, stuck the nose into a boot and pulled the handles apart and it worked great. So if you want some longer run times on the 872 or any other light, this might be the ticket. I have some 880 extension cables so if you want to cut them up to make an adapter you could keep the connections water tight. Iíll make some up and list them on the site soon.
    One thing to watch out for is the new Magicshine chargers. They now make 3 different chargers that all look alike. A 1A charger for the 2 cell battery, 1.8A for the 4 cell, and 2.5A for these 6 cells. The 2.5A has the new plug but the only way to tell the other 2 apart is to read the labels. You could easily plug a 2 cell battery into the 2.5A charger but the results could be dangerous.

Overall I think Magicshine has a contender with this light.

Iíll take some pictures in the morning to help show the details and give my impressions from a ride.

Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    Last edited by Action LED Lights; 12-28-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    For those people who are mounting this light on your handlebars...which light mount are you using and what has been your experience with it? I need something sturdy enough that the light won't move in those rocky parts.
    Hello, I noticed a lot of questions about the new MJ-880 and want to let you know what I think of it so far.

About the bar mount, it works great with fat bars and not as well with thin bars. If you have fat bars and the space for it then you should be fine. If you have thin bar or no space them you might want to try or make a custom mount.

Pros and Cons:

Pros:
    1-great light beam (love it as a helmet light)
    2-well protected 6 cell battery (we got over 2 hours on high during our first test ride, should get longer after it's broken in)
    3-small and light
    4-better Y mount (works best on fat bars)
    5-battery mounts (strong hold/adjustable and removable)*see cons
    6-can use old helmet mounts (new ones hold a little better)
    7-long cords for helmet mounting/Velcro holder strap on cord

Cons:
    1-buttons are a little hard to press with gloves on
    2-*battery strap screws can scratch the frame
    3-can overheat if not getting air flow (just drops down one setting, still very bright)

For mounting directly to my helmet I modified my mount a little in the front to make it thinner to fit inside the air vent.

Chris from bikeempowerment
    Last edited by C.E.P.; 12-28-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by C.E.P. View Post
    2-well protected 6 cell battery (we got over 2 hours on high during our first test ride, should get longer after it's broken in)
    It would be nice if this were true but Li-ion batteries do not "break in" like NiMH or NiCd. The longest run will be your first one. They then slowly loose capacity with every cycle and/or with age.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Tex
    Just ordered mine! After testing it out I will give my opinion.

meep meep !!!
    Now available @ DX as well for $176.10

linkage

If I was in the market for a new front light this is the one that I would buy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    It would be nice if this were true but Li-ion batteries do not "break in" like NiMH or NiCd. The longest run will be your first one. They then slowly loose capacity with every cycle and/or with age.
    Not trying to open up a can of worms here but I have some additional comments. Yes, you are right; Li-ion doesn't need to be broken in...per cell that is. However...with Li-ion battery packs ( multi-cell configurations )....sometimes there is a small delay during the initial charge-ups for the battery pack to become completely balanced. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't. It all depends on the matching of the cells and how well the self-balancing circuit function of the battery PCB is working. Even so, I wouldn't expect to get more than maybe another five minutes of run time after the pack has *completely equalized. (* If , indeed it needs to do so. )

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Not trying to open up a can of worms here but I have some additional comments. Yes, you are right; Li-ion doesn't need to be broken in...per cell that is. However...with Li-ion battery packs ( multi-cell configurations )....sometimes there is a small delay during the initial charge-ups for the battery pack to become completely balanced. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't. It all depends on the matching of the cells and how well the self-balancing circuit function of the battery PCB is working. Even so, I wouldn't expect to get more than maybe another five minutes of run time after the pack has *completely equalized. (* If , indeed it needs to do so. )
    Ok, I can buy that. On to bigger and better things.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

Action LED Lights

MJ-880 Battery connectors

Here is some of the promised detail on the 880.
    First a picture of the new battery

And the connector for the battery and light

The actual plug and socket are the same size as all other Magicshine or Gemini batteries and many others too.
    Here they are compared.

and lastly an 808 plug inserted into the 880 battery

The 2 slide easily together but you can see that there is a little gap on the sides. If you can live with that or wrap a little tape around it, then this battery can be a reasonably low cost solution to extended run times without changing batteries. Charging it with a 1.8A charger from a 4400mAh pack will work fine, just take 6 hours instead of 4.
    Magicshine 6600mAh battery
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Runner View Post
    Now available @ DX as well for $176.10

linkage

If I was in the market for a new front light this is the one that I would buy.
    Damn! They RAISED the price already, lol.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast