Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Great looking lighthead and reasonable $180 price with that big 6,000mAh battery. Realistic output will be more like 1500 lumens IMO not 2000.

Since I'm in no rush for another light I'm waiting to see the (almost ready) new Gemini Lights Olympia XML triple. Smaller profile than the MS and possibly a real 1800 lumens not driven hard.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    "Independent stepless switch" according to the pic.
    I would also like to see a nice center mount for this puppy. My 856 has one and with a few mods has been great so far.
    I should have more detailed specs tomorrow. As I have it so far, this light is basically 2 MJ-808E's mounted in one housing, both with a 10 degree beams. I will be looking into the possibility of using one of our wide angle lenses on one side. It comes with a 6 cell 6600mAh battery pack that uses a different connector than their other lights (needed for the increased current) so an adapter will be needed to use this pack with a MJ-872 or any other light for those wanting extended run time at a reasonable cost.
    As far as a center mount goes, Google "Bike computer mounting bracket" There are several options that come off the stem cap or handle bar that would allow you to put the light in the center in front of your bar. Example
    I believe GeomanGear also carries one. (Link) (you can return the favor some time) though of course you should buy the light from us.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This mount is really cool! TY
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Action LED Lights View Post
    I should have more detailed specs tomorrow. As I have it so far, this light is basically 2 MJ-808E's mounted in one housing, both with a 10 degree beams. I will be looking into the possibility of using one of our wide angle lenses on one side. It comes with a 6 cell 6600mAh battery pack that uses a different connector than their other lights (needed for the increased current) so an adapter will be needed to use this pack with a MJ-872 or any other light for those wanting extended run time at a reasonable cost.
    As far as a center mount goes, Google "Bike computer mounting bracket" There are several options that come off the stem cap or handle bar that would allow you to put the light in the center in front of your bar. Example
    I believe GeomanGear also carries one. (Link) (you can return the favor some time) though of course you should buy the light from us.
    I'm looking forward to your next post. My current favorate bar set-up is two 808E's with your wide angle lense on both so being able to run them on the 880 would be a big selling point to me. What I don't like about my curent set-up is that I have to run two batteries (the redesigned cable my explain why I can't get mine to work with a Y-cable).
    Also I'm currently using one of the Geoman light mounts with good results. It's a simple mount so there's no side to side ajust on it, but It easily handles two light heads, centers them, and looks good doing it. Let us know when you get more imformation on the 880!

Action LED Lights
    Ok, I finally have some more information on the MJ-880 straight from the Magicshine engineering dept.
    Both beams operate together.
    The 2 switches are like those on the MJ-872, the one on the right steps the brightness up through 10%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%. The one on the left steps them down.
    Press and hold either button for 2 seconds for off from any setting.
    Both beams are the same though I'm not sure what the angle is. I would guess something like 10˚ - 15˚
    I was hoping for one wide angle and one spot but I'll check into fitting our wide angle lens to one side. That would be better than a straight circular flood anyway.
    The light and battery use a different connector than all there other lights so if your hoping to get a long run time pack for another light it will take an adapter at least. (more on that later)
    I suspect the motivation for that is so you won't plug a 4400mAh pack into the 880. (To much current draw)
    The list price will be $249.99 (yes, Magicshine is finally advertising a price) Street price will be somewhat less but not out of control. (sorry guys)
    Full specs should be available soon but I got what I could for now.

mtbr member
    Sweet! I have one on pre-order with the special introductory price you guys had a few days ago. THANKS!
    Last edited by slimphatty; 12-07-2011 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The light and battery use a different connector than all there other lights so if your hoping to get a long run time pack for another light it will take an adapter at least. (more on that later)
    bummer

mtbr member
    Looks to me like stree price is about $200.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Ok, I finally have some more information on the MJ-880 straight from the Magicshine engineering dept.
    The 2 switches are like those on the MJ-872, the one on the right steps the brightness up through 10%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%. The one on the left steps them down.
    Both beams are the same though I'm not sure what the angle is. I would guess something like 10˚ - 15˚

I was hoping for one wide angle and one spot but I'll check into fitting our wide angle lens to one side. That would be better than a straight circular flood anyway.
    I suspect the motivation for that is so you won't plug a 4400mAh pack into the 880. (To much current draw)
    The list price will be $249.99 (yes, Magicshine is finally advertising a price) Street price will be somewhat less but not out of control. (sorry guys)
    This light is becoming more interesting as I continue to get more information. Personally I like the idea that it might be a thrower. Yes, if you get different optics to offer as extras that would be great too.

One of my concerns was "how the switching was going to operate". Basically I was thinking that you might have to "press and hold to switch modes " which would be a PITA.
    Anyway, after reading your post I have a feeling that is not the case. Correct me if I'm wrong though....Once the light is on you "quick press either side" to change modes ( up or down respectively). Then you "press and hold" to turn off. If this is true than "press and hold" is only a function of turning the light off which would be fine. All this being said, this will make changing modes much faster and easier. Since most people will only use the 3 highest modes anyway, changing between modes should be easy and fast ( as long as you don't hit the wrong button )

It does look as though this light will be driven pretty hard. I figure if the battery is a 6-cell and run time on high is listed as 2.5hrs, the emitters are likely being driven around 2.5 to 3A. each when on high. I can't wait to read the reviews and to see some beam pics when these start being sold. Man, if these had an option for a two-way remote that would of been the icing on the cake.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    This light is becoming more interesting as I continue to get more information. Personally I like the idea that it might be a thrower. Yes, if you get different optics to offer as extras that would be great too.
    As soon as I have one in hand I will be talking to my mold shop to see what we can do
    One of my concerns was "how the switching was going to operate". Basically I was thinking that you might have to "press and hold to switch modes " which would be a PITA.
    Magicshine was considering a "stepless switch" as there website shows currently but I suggested that was hard to change while riding and steps were the way to go. They are now looking at the five steps with a quick push to change
    Anyway, after reading your post I have a feeling that is not the case. Correct me if I'm wrong though....Once the light is on you "quick press either side" to change modes ( up or down respectively). Then you "press and hold" to turn off. If this is true than "press and hold" is only a function of turning the light off which would be fine. All this being said, this will make changing modes much faster and easier. Since most people will only use the 3 highest modes anyway, changing between modes should be easy and fast ( as long as you don't hit the wrong button )
    You have it right

It does look as though this light will be driven pretty hard. I figure if the battery is a 6-cell and run time on high is listed as 2.5hrs, the emitters are likely being driven around 2.5 to 3A. each when on high.
    The MJ-808E draws 1.5A at 7.4V. This 880 is basically 2 808e's so I expect about 3A on high. That should make 6600mAh run for 2.2 hours
    I can't wait to read the reviews and to see some beam pics when these start being sold. Man, if these had an option for a two-way remote that would of been the icing on the cake.
    You are aware of the 4 mode MJ-808E we sell with a remote button aren't you. You could mount up 2 of those, one for the right thumb and one for the left.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Interesting light.

Why are they changing the plug design? Seems like an unnecessary change that eliminates users from using perfectly serviceable batteries from other MS and clone products they already own.

Part of the appeal, to me anyways, of sticking with MS is that all the batteries are thus-far interchangeable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    This mount is really cool! TY

Where can I get this mount from, it's exactly what I'm after

Action LED Lights
    For this exact mount click HERE
    If you want something a little lower cost check our site later in the week and we will have a few similar choices.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peakprowler View Post
    Where can I get this mount from, it's exactly what I'm after
    Here's one from Paul Components. It's all machined aluminum and mounts on the stem cap.

Paul Component Engineering - Stem Cap Light Mount

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Does the 880 run on a different voltage, and that is why the battery connector is different? I believe all the other Magicshines run on 7.4v.

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Does the 880 run on a different voltage, and that is why the battery connector is different? I believe all the other Magicshines run on 7.4v.
    I guess I can't say that for sure as I haven't held one yet but I believe it is 7.4V. The only half way reasonable explanation I can think of is that they wanted make sure no one ran it off a 2 cell battery or that the other connector couldn't handle 3 - 4 amps.
    I'll try and get a complete answer next time I talk to them.
    I plan to put together an adapter as I think this battery will be popular for other uses.

mtbr member
    I guess I can't say that for sure as I haven't held one yet but I believe it is 7.4V. The only half way reasonable explanation I can think of is that they wanted make sure no one ran it off a 2 cell battery or that the other connector couldn't handle 3 - 4 amps.
    I'll try and get a complete answer next time I talk to them.
    I plan to put together an adapter as I think this battery will be popular for other uses.
    It's odd if you can run 2x MJ-808s with a Y-cable but can't run the 880 on the same battery if it's roughly the same draw. And for that matter, even 4.5 Amps on the standard 4500mah battery is just a "1C" rating, which is very low. Coming from the RC world, 10C is extremely low, and 20-40C is typical for LiPo batteries. I'll be interested to hear the reasoning behind needing a different connector.

Single Speed Convert

MJ-880 Right Out Of The Box

Finally, the wait is over! My lights arrived today and I felt like a little kid opening my early Christmas presents!

I must say that the the switch button is soft to touch, far supperior than my old 808e's, but still requires each clicks to get from lowest setting one, to the brightest setting five. Hold the buttons and it turns it off. Left for low, right side for high settings. Both bulbs adjust simultaniously, NOT independent of each other. The dual lens are slightly smaller than a $0.25 in diameter and have a very cool green glow in them along with the rubber top switch when off and connected to the battery.

The rubber covered battery however is way larger than the other models. That's obviously to pack more juice for the dual set up. I turned off my garage light and observed the beam pattern, I'm very impressed! It has BOTH wide and a far throw! I can't wait to take these out on the trail to really see what it's got!

For now, check out the pictures. I took side by side shots of the previous models from the 808's, to the 868's, 872's, and of course, the 880's!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magicshine mj-880 anyone?-img_1800.jpg  

Magicshine mj-880 anyone?-img_1825.jpg  

Magicshine mj-880 anyone?-img_1834.jpg  

Magicshine mj-880 anyone?-img_1859.jpg  

Magicshine mj-880 anyone?-img_1881.jpg  

Life's simple pleasure - RIDE!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great, let me know when you can post some beam shots!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    And for that matter, even 4.5 Amps on the standard 4500mah battery is just a "1C" rating, which is very low. Coming from the RC world, 10C is extremely low, and 20-40C is typical for LiPo batteries. I'll be interested to hear the reasoning behind needing a different connector.
    bike lights don't use li-po cells though, they use li-ion, which have far lower discharge rates (1C is pretty huge for li-ion). Li-po are designed for high discharge rates, li-ion are designed for longevity and robustness. Even seriously high quality cells (like the latest panasonics) sag under 2/3C, whereas cheap chinese cells (the *fires) can't even supply 1/3C happily - this is all from testing batteries for a light I built for a friend. 2P uniquefire pack (~4.5Ah) couldn't supply more than 2A without sagging by >0.5V instantly, 2P Panasonic pack (~6Ah) can do 3A with 0.1 to 0.2V sag.

So, running a 2S2P or 2S1P pack with a twin XM-L light driven at 3A will pull the voltage of the battery down so far that it'll trigger the voltage warnings (I presume this light has them) way before the battery is discharged, leading the consumer to think they have a duff battery that only lasts 20-30min instead of 1 1/2h.

Single Speed Convert

MJ-880 Beam Pattern

Here's the NEW MJ-880 beam pattern (high & low settings) compare to the older mj-808e. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magicshine mj-880 anyone?-mj-808-bp-hdbm.jpg  

Magicshine mj-880 anyone?-mj-880-bp-low-hltm.jpg  

Magicshine mj-880 anyone?-mj-880-bp-high-hltm.jpg  

Life's simple pleasure - RIDE!

mtbr member
    WOW, nice beam pattern!

Action LED Lights
    I just got word from Magicshine that our 880's will ship this week so we should have them early next week.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    About the beam shots: Looks like the 880 has a nice wide beam pattern. While it is nice having a wide beam pattern on the bars, distance throw however cannot be judged by looking at a photo unless there are markers for reference. Just pointing that out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Has anyone actually used this light? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on buying one, but I want to hear some actual feedback. I want to know how long the battery lasts and how it handles in hot temperatures.

I am trying to decide between this one and the Serfas True 1500.

Cheers

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast