Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Read the light shoot out thread. The mtbr tests showed the same problem. Magishine has another light (856?) that has larger heat conduction fins. It may work better.

recovering roadie
    Yes, overheating is a major problem for my 872. I bought an 856 and it's perfect, even in Arizona.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oh... I should have got 856 instead

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    Yes, overheating is a major problem for my 872. I bought an 856 and it's perfect, even in Arizona.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I got my MJ-872 on ebay, and returned it for several issues

First, it seriously overheats the head lamp(decreased brightness to 75% power), and won't cool it off even while riding at night(15deg. celsious)
    Second, the battery didn't last long as they claim(only lasted 1hr from full-charge)
    Third, Battery indicator didn't work correctly(maybe also related to the battery issue)

Today, I got a replacement unit from the seller
    guess what.
    Now the charger makes strange noise that sounds like liquid boiling inside. haha
    I contacted the seller and said i would get my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

I was informed this 856 light has the exact same beam pattern (25 degree) as the new 872with clear optic...however due to it's design and slightly larger size (4.6mm larger outer diameter) it has better cooling which is obviously an issue with the 872. Currently it's really a bar mount light and comes with a neat bracket but they are working on an o-ring mount and well..people are creative. Maybe not as spiffy looking as the 872 but I'm fine with that if it cools better and doesn't overheat. Thoughts....

Anyone have any feedback on the new MS 5.6ah battery pack with Samsung cells? Basic hard case with no back lit display...fine by me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Today, I got a replacement unit from the seller
    guess what.
    Now the charger makes strange noise that sounds like liquid boiling inside.
    It seemed like it would explode any second, so i had to unplug it
    I contacted the seller and said i would get my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sorry to hear about your 872 saga. Haven't had any issues with my 856 although anytime I stop for more than 30 seconds I'll turn all my lights down to low power. More to conserve battery than an overheating issue but I guess there is always that concern. I've never seen it step down while out riding and moving. Good little unit. (I should also add that I almost never run it at the highest setting except maybe near the end of a ride for kicks and giggles. 1 to conserve battery and 2 as it's sometimes almost to bright as weird as that sounds)

Action LED Action-LED-Lights — MJ-856 with O-ring mount

They also have it listed for $99 with the original QR mount (although not shown in the picture) which places the light directly in the center in front of the stem.

Highly recommend spending the additional $17 for the upgraded 5600mAh Samsung battery pack

Brightstone Sports is where I bought my 856. They were the only one carrying it at the time I purchased. Their customer service has been outstanding answering questions quickly and replacing for free my QR mount when it broke. Now using the o-ring mount as the QR mount needs a few mods to be totally secure IMO.

MagicShine MJ-856b O-ring mount 1600 lumens LED Bike Light Set

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9