Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    singletrack bound
    well I just got back from my first night ride with my MJ-872. I ran the light on my bars and I'm tellin' ya that light is a bright little son of a gun! The flood is so bright smooth and white with no center beam lighting the single track from right to left and from wheel top to horizon up into the approaching trees.

I say Bright!

I rode a nice flowy fast single track through tight redwoods and only really used the level 3 (out of 4 levels- 4 being the highest) for most of the descent.Throw was sufficient as this bugger is so bright I never felt I was in danger of out running the light beam.
    I did bump up to level 4 and ran that at high output for a few of those fast miles and the light head seemed to be cool. Took off my gloves to check the light head and it was just slightly warm to the touch. Not all that hot for sure. This light is surely capable of being ran by itself if you can only dish out for one light. I did get the 1 meter cord and helmet mount and will try on my helmet next ride
    The back lit button on the light head with color code power consumption meter is nice on the bars as you can see where you stand as far as battery consumption.
    So far Magicshine product has performed as advertised and completely satisfied with the product.
    I will continue to experiment with the 872 and if I remain satisfied, I may spring for the 1000 lumen MJ 808E for the noggin!
    Tone. .
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought an MJ-872 for my wife for her birthday, and she's pretty excited about having her own bright light for MTB night rides. Even though I read this thread before making the purchase, I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the lack of quality. When I disassembled it, there was a ton of metal swarf floating around in the housing (enough to cause a high probability of a short) and the o-ring on the rear cap has a long slit in it as if cut by a razor blade.

More troubling than that, though, three of the four LEDs light up (albeit very dimly) when the battery is plugged in but the light is off. Has anyone here seen this problem? Assuming it's a problem with this light, I'm not looking forward to the exchange process...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
    I bought an MJ-872 for my wife for her birthday, and she's pretty excited about having her own bright light for MTB night rides. Even though I read this thread before making the purchase, I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the lack of quality. When I disassembled it, there was a ton of metal swarf floating around in the housing (enough to cause a high probability of a short) and the o-ring on the rear cap has a long slit in it as if cut by a razor blade.

More troubling than that, though, three of the four LEDs light up (albeit very dimly) when the battery is plugged in but the light is off. Has anyone here seen this problem? Assuming it's a problem with this light, I'm not looking forward to the exchange process...
    Hopefully you bought from a reputable dealer because to me it certainly sounds like something is shorted.

mtbr member
    Last night ride my mj-872 temperature protection kicked in all the time. I was riding at low speed in 3rd power mode (almost full brightness)...

I think that the dissipators are not well design for this ligth...

Is there sufficient thermal paste between the led star and the body?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Batas; 10-16-2011 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Batas View Post
    Last night ride my mj-872 temperature protection kicked in all the time. I was riding at low speed in 3rd power mode (almost full brightness)...

I think that the dissipators are not well design for this ligth...

Is there sufficient thermal paste between the led star and the body?

Any thoughts?
    need more info. How slow is slow? Ambient temp?

mtbr member
    Speed: 10-15km/h
    Temp. 15-20C

mtbr member
    Speed: 10-15km/h
    Temp. 15-20C
    10 km/h is pretty slow but with all things considered if your light is powering down due to thermal issues at those temps/speed I would consider that a big problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    10 km/h is pretty slow but with all things considered if your light is powering down due to thermal issues at those temps/speed I would consider that a big problem.
    Agree. 10mph is slow and 60deg f ambient I would not expect the light to be shutting down. I would not be too happy

mtbr member
    I just took delivery of my new 872 last night and was playing around with it a little bit.
    WOW. It totally BLOWS AWAY my Light and Motion Arc, even on the 3rd lowest setting - beam quality, color temperature, and overall brightness. In every way vastly superior.

However, I did notice a couple times, even on the 75% setting, when holding it in my hand, it powered down to the lowest setting on its own. This has me a bit concerned that it will do it while riding up a hill or something....I will update after my first full ride with it. It definitely gets warm....
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    It seems that it is the "normal" behaviour of the mj-872. It gets very hot and the thermal protection kicks in. No good.

I also have the MJ-808, and it gets hot, but at the same speed, it cools better.

Since the 872 has two dissipators that can be taken apart from the main unit, I wonder if it is possible to replace the middle with a bigger one. I don't really care if it spoils the aestethic, as long it works...

Next step is to apply thermal past in everyplace.

Village Dirtbag
    Crap...I was just about to pull the trigger on one of these. I thought it looked small and had shallow cooling fins for being so powerful? What's the next best option? Dionette XML-3 perhaps?

I wonder how hard it would be to modify it with a muffin fan.

mtbr member
    It seems that it is the "normal" behaviour of the mj-872. It gets very hot and the thermal protection kicks in. No good.

I also have the MJ-808, and it gets hot, but at the same speed, it cools better.

Since the 872 has two dissipators that can be taken apart from the main unit, I wonder if it is possible to replace the middle with a bigger one. I don't really care if it spoils the aestethic, as long it works...

Next step is to apply thermal past in everyplace.

I think you got a bad unit Mine has yet to kick in but I ride at 50% below 10 then kick it up when I'm going faster and that's with a ambient temp of 80 degrees F, Get a replacement from whoever you got it from.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

Village Dirtbag
    Rakuman: I'm curious on whether it'll overheat if you run it on max or one step below max at slower speeds. Some of my night riding areas are rolling trails, where you go fast for a minute, then slow, then fast, and I don't want to have to be constantly adjusting brightness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam View Post
    Rakuman: I'm curious on whether it'll overheat if you run it on max or one step below max at slower speeds. Some of my night riding areas are rolling trails, where you go fast for a minute, then slow, then fast, and I don't want to have to be constantly adjusting brightness.
    I run at 50% or 75%setting 90% of most of my rides this light is so bright any more is just not necessary unless you are hauling @ss sure I kick it up to high for downhills.and if you are booking you get plenty of air flow, I kick it down to low for the marathon climbs and its plenty of light... Love this light.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    If returning it isn't an option, it might be worth opening it up, taking the middle finned piece off and slathering some thermal paste (you can get it at computer stores) underneath so that the finned piece makes better contact with the body. As long as the thermal paths (from LED to housing, housing to fins, fins to air) are good, even a bit of airflow should keep the light cool.

how hot does it get to touch when the thermal protection trips? If it's uncomfortable to hold then the housing is doing its job and you just need to ride faster/ set the light lower. If it's only warm or even cool, especially that centre part, then it's not making good contact and you need to do what I suggested ^.

mtbr member
    It is a great light, absolutely unbeatable at the price.

I will report back on the dimming issue after my first 'real' ride. On it's maiden voyage on a quick 3 mile ride around the lake near my house, on 75% it did not dim once, but then again, that was on the road going about 18 mph...
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Tonight I will perform a test. Will open the front cover, take the lense out and try to measure the temperature in the star and in the dissipator. Lets see...

It gets very warm as it is...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCFred View Post
    ...However, I did notice a couple times, even on the 75% setting, when holding it in my hand, it powered down to the lowest setting on its own. This has me a bit concerned that it will do it while riding up a hill or something....I will update after my first full ride with it. It definitely gets warm....
    Yes but you were not using it with air blowing/ moving over it. Try it on the bike and see what happens. Slow climbs should be limited to half or 3/4 power. High should work fine as long as the bike is moving at a decent speed. Ambient air temp sounds like it might be an issue though. There have already been reports of problems at higher temperatures. Not good if you live in an area where it is warm even at night.

Now if I start hearing of people having the light power down on a down-hill run than that would be a very, very big problem.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 10-18-2011 at 01:43 AM.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I was testing it on a chilly 55 degree, very windy night.
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just had my first trail ride with an 872 on the bars and 808e on the lid. I ran them both on high for about an hour straight. Neither one dimmed down. I checked them both a couple of times and they were only slightly warm. Ambient temp was about 55 degrees, average speed was about 7mph.

When I tested the 872 in the house sitting on my desk it would get hot and dim down within about 10 minutes. The 808 would take a little longer to get hot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just got my MJ-872 and the only thing I am unsure of is the way it is mounted to the handle bars. We ride at night in an area that is very XC with lots of 1-2ft drops and tons of rocks/tree roots. I don't want the light to be moving. How secure is the O-Ring mounts? What are my options for something more secure?

recovering roadie
    Alright dudes, partially out of curiosity I bought an MJ-856 lighthead to go with my MJ-872. After receiving it yesterday and playing with it last night, I have dubbed it "the one light to rule them all." It dissipates heat better, has a slightly warmer color temperature, and appears to me to put out about 30% more light than the MJ-872. Stunning. Will try to do a night ride this week with both of them and will comment more if anything is notable.

I bought it from these guys:

MagicShine MJ-856b O-ring mount 1600 lumens LED Bike Light Set

Their customer service was great.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    Alright dudes, partially out of curiosity I bought an MJ-856 lighthead to go with my MJ-872. After receiving it yesterday and playing with it last night, I have dubbed it "the one light to rule them all." It dissipates heat better, has a slightly warmer color temperature, and appears to me to put out about 30% more light than the MJ-872. Stunning. Will try to do a night ride this week with both of them and will comment more if anything is notable.

Interesting observations! I also bought the 856 and have suggested it a few of my posts. Good to see someone else finally try it out. So far I'm very happy with the light also but I bought the bracket mount vs the o-ring mount. I did a few little mods to it and love how it places the light right over the stem. I have some pics to post at some time.

It would be great if this light was also included in the light shootout so Fancis could test it with his heat gun vs. the 872.

Yes, their customer service was awesome I agree.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post

Damn. You cannot be serious. 30% more light out of the 856.

Time to go support *someone's* economy......

mtbr member
    30% more? Cant be... How is it possible? Lets see if I can find the head unit only...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast