Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by batas View Post
    last nights ride my mj-872 performed ok.

12-14ºc air temperature, 75%-50% mode uphill, full power downhill, no dimming. I guess its going to be ok.

Can´t say that for my carbon brake lever though. My ribs hurt today.

ouch.

mtbr member
    So is the temperature really an unsolvable problem, or is it due to insufficient thermal paste? I'm looking for a better bar light and the light output looks good but I'd rather not be stuck running at 75% all the time.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I honestly planned from the get-go to run at the second highest power setting, but the times I've run at full power I really didn't think I was missing much at second-highest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The MJ-856 looks to be the same light just with a different, potentially better, housing. Anyone test this against the MJ-872?
    If anyone has or knows of a 15.5" blue 2009 Gary Fisher Mamba for sale, please let me know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PiranhaFisher View Post
    The MJ-856 looks to be the same light just with a different, potentially better, housing. Anyone test this against the MJ-872?
    It looks like a good light, but I'm leery about buying a new model from a vendor that I've never heard of. At least with Geomangear you know they'll stand behind the product.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by PiranhaFisher View Post
    In a day or two, I'll be able to provide that perspective. Unfortunately, I won't have both lights in hand at once. I suppose I could delay returning the 872, but that would be a pain in the arse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hm, I cannot access the Light and Go website in the last couple of days by some reason. Anyway, I run an older MJ-808 and MJ-870 combo (my setup: helmet/handlebar) on mountain bike trails, my setup performs very well. My MJ-870 has 'only' 3 XP-Gs and equipped with the old lens, not the new clear one. I used my 870 between 5-15 degrees Celsius (41-59 degrees Fahrenheit), didn't have any heating issues, in spite of the old lens. The beam is quite similar to the MJ-872, but provides a bit less light. The battery lasts about 3 hours at 100% mode, which is far enough for me.
    I'm thinking about purchasing an another MJ light as well. Based on your opinions, maybe the MJ-856B would be the best but I cannot order it, brightstonesports.com doesn't ship to my country and it seems the L & Go website is down... Nevertheless, the updated MJ-872 with the new clear lens would be also perfect for me. Do you know guys something about that DealExtreme ships the MJ-872 with the new lens? (Opinions are divided on some forums...)

mtbr member
    I bought mine from bikeempowerment.com for $144 shipped. It shipped USPS from CA to the Boston area, and I had it in only two days. Couldn't be happier with the transaction.
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Just got my 872 and ran it for about 30 min on full power with out any issues. Average speed 10mph, average temp 70F. So far so good and extremely happy.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Quote Originally Posted by semmiho View Post
    ... Based on your opinions, maybe the MJ-856B would be the best but I cannot order it, brightstonesports.com doesn't ship to my country and it seems the L & Go website is down...
    I guess you are from Hungary, so you can order here Magicshine MJ-856B*valaisinsarja (tilaus) « Otsa- ja polkupyörävalaisimet « VALAISIMESI.FI for ca. 150.00 EUR shipped (ask at asiakaspalvelu@valaisimesi.fi or customerservice@valaisimesi.fi for the shipping cost to your country) .

recovering roadie
    I rode with both the 872 and 856 last night. That is a ridiculous amount of light. I cleaned one climb I've only gotten clean at night once before and I cleaned another climb that I've never been able to on previous night rides (but have during the day).

The temperature was 76 F, and I had no power downs due to heat, even on the climb. I tried running them both at max power on the climb, but it's just too bright, so I ran them both at 70%. I do think that the 856 is brighter than the 872, but the beam is also a little more concentrated, which I don't prefer. Between the two I would definitely buy the 856. It was much cooler to the touch, so I think its heat sink fins work better.

I will try to do some comparison photos soon.

mtbr member
    Did you run them both on the handlebar? Don't forget to put the camera in manual mode

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Cannon View Post
    Just got my 872 and ran it for about 30 min on full power with out any issues. Average speed 10mph, average temp 70F. So far so good and extremely happy.
    Update:
    2nd ride: Temp = 70F to 75F. Average speed = much slower than my first ride.

The 872 did power down from high 3 or 4 times I believe. I noticed a change in light, but being new to night riding I was really concerned with a lot of other things. I know for sure of one power-down on a fast stretch and one on a technical section. For as slow as we were going, I was expecting more power-downs based on the commentary on this board. I'm still really happy with the light - great bang for the buck. As long as I don't have any power-downs from medium-high to medium, I'll continue to be happy. I never felt the need to run it on high. High power gave me a bit more depth perception and more clarity with my surroundings. I can see it's application most useful on technical downhills and areas with overgrown/under-groomed flora.

I will say that when comparing/complementing the 808E, I was expecting the 872 to be brighter. The 808E has an amazing spot and a decent halo. My initial impression is that the 808E washes out a lot of the 872's light. On my next ride, I'll need to stop and play with the different power settings to validate my claim above.

In all, the 872 and 808E combo is great.

singletrack bound
    In all, the 872 and 808E combo is great.

I think this is what I will be going with too!
    been riding with the 872 only on the bars and I can ride with just that light....it is that bright, but having the 808E on the helmet will complete my night riding needs I'm pretty sure. Having the bar and helmet light will also allow you to extend your ride time by alternating the discharge of either lights on long climbs thus saving discharge time on both lights!
    Sorrel Seeker !!

Village Dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    I rode with both the 872 and 856 last night. That is a ridiculous amount of light. I cleaned one climb I've only gotten clean at night once before and I cleaned another climb that I've never been able to on previous night rides (but have during the day).

The temperature was 76 F, and I had no power downs due to heat, even on the climb. I tried running them both at max power on the climb, but it's just too bright, so I ran them both at 70%. I do think that the 856 is brighter than the 872, but the beam is also a little more concentrated, which I don't prefer. Between the two I would definitely buy the 856. It was much cooler to the touch, so I think its heat sink fins work better.

I will try to do some comparison photos soon.

Hmmm...maybe a good test would be to turn both of them on inside and see which one steps down first. That'll partially test thermal mass, but also static heat dissipation and possibly how good the thermal path is.

The Dog.
    Just got my 856 and still had the 872 kicking around because I missed the post office yesterday. Just out of the box, inside, daylight, I thought the 856 was dimmer. I'm not sure if the LED's had to have an initial burn in or something, but the 856 is definitely brighter than the 872 now. Confirmed by both my roommate and girlfriend who couldn't care less. The beam pattern of the 856 is slightly more focused but still a flood. It is also WAY more even. The 872 has more of a center spot that trails off. Even the center of the 872 is not as bright as anywhere on the pattern of the 856. Lastly, the 856 is a bit whiter. Perhaps this could contribute to an optical illusion that it is brighter.

Lighting aside, the heat issue:

The 856 is a bit heftier in the hand and is certainly larger. Just turning it on inside on high, it did heat up quite a bit and kick down. The good news, though, is that it passed my indoor fan test. The 872 kicked down in less than 5 minutes under the fan. The 856 never kicked down under the fan. It was warm, but not overly hot. You could feel that the rear of the lamp was quite a bit cooler than the front, indicating that the cooling fins do indeed work. On 75% under the fan, the 856 was gently warm.

Brightstone sports was great to work with, quickly responded to emails, and shipped out my light with the 5.6 Ah battery before they were supposed to be back in stock. Gave me the 5% discount too.

Beam pic with iphone. Both fully charged batteries, despite blue indicator of 872. 872 on left, 856 on right. I think the photo exaggerates the difference a bit.

Village Dirtbag
    Thanks! Sorry GeoMan- looks like I'm going with the 856.

Is there a code for the 5% discount?

How long did the 872 take to kick down without the fan? It seems like the T-shaped fins on the 856 might actually keep the thing warmer unless it has air moving over it.

mtbr member
    Does the 856 have the (clear) 25 degree optic? Edit: It does

The beam of the 856 seems a little better but honestly after what Geoman has done they have my business for life (when buying magicshines). Even if that light is slightly better I'd rather have the Geoman battery and Geoman customer service for a little more money.
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 10-22-2011 at 01:03 PM.

The Dog.
    More info:

Just tried both lights at night. Yes the 856 is brighter by a bit. And the pattern is different. The 856 is a bit more even, but the 872 is more soothing for some reason...maybe a bit more yellow. Very similar, in any case.

The cooling fins DEFINITELY work. The 856 was warm enough to kick down from me standing in a field comparing beams. I rode down the street still on high in 50 degrees, and it was only slightly warm after <30 seconds. A similar first experience with 872 proved that it does not do that.

Obviously I have not tested battery life, but IMO I like the magicshine 5.6 Ah from brightstone more. First of all, the battery life indicator actually works...not just kicking down to blue and then back up to green all the time. I also like the foam rubber case/strap setup better. Very secure and easier on bike finish.

Summary: 856 > 872, but only slightly.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    and girlfriend who couldn't care less.
    Funny. So baffling that no matter how much we educate they just never understand what's so obviously "cool"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post

.....Lighting aside, the heat issue:

The 856 is a bit heftier in the hand and is certainly larger. Just turning it on inside on high, it did heat up quite a bit and kick down. The good news, though, is that it passed my indoor fan test. The 872 kicked down in less than 5 minutes under the fan. The 856 never kicked down under the fan. It was warm, but not overly hot. You could feel that the rear of the lamp was quite a bit cooler than the front, indicating that the cooling fins do indeed work. On 75% under the fan, the 856 was gently warm.

Brightstone sports was great to work with, quickly responded to emails, and shipped out my light with the 5.6 Ah battery before they were supposed to be back in stock. Gave me the 5% discount too.

Beam pic with iphone. Both fully charged batteries, despite blue indicator of 872. 872 on left, 856 on right. I think the photo exaggerates the difference a bit.

DD, you sold me. Not that I'm going to buy an 856 but if I was in the market and vacillating between the two I would get the 856. These are also using the standard O-ring mounting so that's a big plus over the earlier models. I love Geoman as a web vendor but if the 856 is better I'd rather go with the over-all better light. ( to my eyes it looks like the 872 has a wider beam. Likely the 856 has better throw but a tad less out to the sides. Personally I'd like that better. )

Now about the battery: I looked at the brightstonesports web site but I don't see any numbers on the listed battery pack. DD, You mentioned it being 5.6mAh but I can't find that listing. ( if you see it on there please point it out, thanks ) Still, I'd buy it regardless. Even if the standard battery was less than the Geoman standard 4.5mAh pack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ...You mentioned it being 5.6mAh but I can't find that listing. ( if you see it on there please point it out, thanks )...
    MagicShine Samsung 5600 mAh Battery Pack

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    On that link above it shows out of stock.....but if you go to their home page it's now listed as back in stock

BrightStoneSports - MagicShine Bike Light and Accessories | Magic Shine MJ-808 | MJ-808e | MJ-816 | MJ-818 | MJ-856 | MJ-872 | ...

The 5600mAh Samsung battery upgrade is a no brainer IMO and what I got with my 856. More power, great harness mount and less bulky than that odd LCD battery that comes with some of the MS lights. I'm sure GeoMans battery is great also but he doesn't carry the 856 light and I believe I made the right choice getting the 856 over the 872. Highly recommend BrightStone also.

Don't be afraid of getting the 856 with the bracket mount that places the light over the center of the stem. It's actually pretty darn nice IMO and I did a few simple mods to it that I think make it a bit more secure. So far it's been great in some very bouncy, rocky terrain and it really doesn't sit up that high. Kind of just high enough to not have to shine through cables. No big drops for me though where perhaps the o-ring mount might be more secure.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    The guy here at BikeEmpowerment.com makes a nice solid mount for many of the MagicShine models. It's basically a clamp style bar mount that screws into the lighthead base right where the standard O-ring mount goes. You take off the O-ring mount and screw in the new mount. Pretty cool!

Mount video:

He also sells a lot of models of the MagicShine, but sadly not the 856. He has also posted up a few other video reviews of the MS lights. The price of his 870 is just $120.

So for those who have the 870, 872, or 856 do you think it's a good upgrade over the old P7 MJ808? I have two of those right now, but would like a nice floody bar light. The 870 looks great and is just $120 from BikeEmpowerment, while the 856 is $156 from BrightStoneSports. Is it really worth the extra $36 and is the extra brightness that noticable?
    Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 10-23-2011 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Has anyone used thermal paste or aluminum shims to create a more efficient thermal transfer between the internal case and external housing?

mtbr member
    What do you mean? The outer casing (with the fins) fits very tight on the outside of the body. You can´t put anything in between. I tryed to put thermal past, no good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Batas View Post
    What do you mean? The outer casing (with the fins) fits very tight on the outside of the body. You can´t put anything in between. I tryed to put thermal past, no good.
    I had no idea how tight it was, but thought the heat issue might be due to poor heat transfer. So what was "no good" about the thermal paste? Not enough room, or did it not help, or?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Lighthead weights

I looked on the review this thread was spawned from and didn't see any weights reported. Just curious if anyone has weights of the various MS model lightheads. I've read on this forum several reports that the 856 is "heftier", just wondering how it compares to 808, 870, 872. All weights I've been able to find online include the battery, so it's tough to compare with different batteries.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Well, both. It is so tight that when you push the outer ring back to place, the thermal paste comes out.

I reaplied good quality thermal paste between the star and the body. The problem isnt from that. I believe that the body isnt design too dissipate that ammount of heat, or the thermal protection kicks to soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icycle View Post
    I looked on the review this thread was spawned from and didn't see any weights reported. Just curious if anyone has weights of the various MS model lightheads. I've read on this forum several reports that the 856 is "heftier", just wondering how it compares to 808, 870, 872. All weights I've been able to find online include the battery, so it's tough to compare with different batteries.

Thanks
    Seeing I have a scale available I figured I would see what these do weigh, these are with there rubber bands I was not expecting this now if someone will weigh their 856
    MS872

MS808
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman View Post
    Seeing I have a scale available I figured I would see what these do weigh, these are with there rubber bands I was not expecting this now if someone will weigh their 856
    Thanks! It looks like 872 == 101g and 808 == 104g. Since I posted, I found your post from earlier today (Geoman: what's coming soon for Magicshine?) where you said the 856 is 23g heavier than the 872, so that'd put it ~124g. Where'd you get the 23g number from?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icycle View Post
    thanks! It looks like 872 == 101g and 808 == 104g. Since i posted, i found your post from earlier today (Geoman: what's coming soon for Magicshine?) where you said the 856 is 23g heavier than the 872, so that'd put it ~124g. Where'd you get the 23g number from?
    Geoman
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Tested my GEOMANS 2600 combo (872 &808E) yesterday.

And wow!!!! that was ver impresive. Nice flood on the 872, the throw starts just in front your tire. 808E has a hugh halo and big center spot. I find very useful to have both light, 872 in the bars, and 808E in the helmet.

I must say, this was my first time using a helmet light, and i was riding like kid with his new toy....

I alway ride in the lower levels, just for caution, and hit the higher beams for the Donwhills. I also found the 2600 (theorical) lumens, was to much for tight and technical DH.

Speaking in heat disipation, was riding on 77 F, and both of the lights got little hot. touch them with my forearm. no thermal protection needed.

Was a 1:30 ride. Both 6.0mA batterys endend in the green color range.

mtbr member
    Just ordered the 872 from GeoManGear. Despite the potential heat issues, the 6.0Ah battery built in the USA and the proven customer service is a winning combo. This will go on the bars with a MJ808 on the helmet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Just ordered the 872 from GeoManGear. Despite the potential heat issues, the 6.0Ah battery built in the USA and the proven customer service is a winning combo. This will go on the bars with a MJ808 on the helmet.
    I ordered the 872 from Geoman for the same reasons. The heat issue doens't appear to be a factor where I live. And to be honest, the 3 highest settings aren't that different. The lowest setting drops down quite a bit, but the higher three are very similar to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
    I ordered the 872 from Geoman for the same reasons. The heat issue doens't appear to be a factor where I live. And to be honest, the 3 highest settings aren't that different. The lowest setting drops down quite a bit, but the higher three are very similar to me.
    That's good to hear. Here in northern California the heat is only really an issue on summer nights. This time of year it's 60-70F at the beginning of my night rides and down into the upper 50s by the end. I don't imagine overheating will be a factor, and if it does power down to 70% that will still be plenty of light.

I picked up a solid bar mount from Chris @ BikeEmpowerment.com as well. My 808 bounces around on the bars during really rough sections, so hopefully the new mount will solve that problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    That's good to hear. Here in northern California the heat is only really an issue on summer nights. This time of year it's 60-70F at the beginning of my night rides and down into the upper 50s by the end. I don't imagine overheating will be a factor, and if it does power down to 70% that will still be plenty of light.

I picked up a solid bar mount from Chris @ BikeEmpowerment.com as well. My 808 bounces around on the bars during really rough sections, so hopefully the new mount will solve that problem.

did you ordered for the 872? the pic its for the 808 and you said that 808 would use it on the helmet.

I also ordered, the mount adaptor for the 872. No bounce at all.

mtbr member
    I did order the 872 mount, which has a longer, flatter mounting area where is screws into the light. Can't wait to have a nice solid mount and >1000 lumens OTL of floody light!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    have any of you seen the handlebar mount Magiclight is doing for all Magicshine lights? assume it will replace current o ring mounting system .... about time

mtbr member
    I got my solid bar mount today from BikeEmpowerment.com AND my new MJ-872. I'll be heading out shortly for a night ride and will be taking some comparison photos. I'll post back when I have them online.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I also have the bikempowerment 872 mount. The only thing I did was add a lock washer between the light head and mount to make it fit slightly better, because the light didn't sit flush against the mount, he didn't grind away enough clearance. Not a big deal though. Plus I substituted a #6-32 x 1/2" machine screw for the original screw that came with the light, so I could have a few more threads, because the new mount was slightly thicker even with his boring out the hole.

mtbr member
    Here's the pics of my MJ-872 and mount. The mount worked perfectly for me, no modification needed. I'm pretty stoked about having a light that doesn't move around.

Magicshine MJ-872

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ordered the MJ856 on Monday from brightstonesports.com and received it on Thursday. I have had one night ride and it's an amazing upgrade from my old ms900. Here are the weights:

MJ856 - 118g,
    MS900 - 108g,
    MS 5.6Ah Battery - 297g,
    Old GMG MS (recalled) Battery - 325g.

Pics are at photobucket.com/shemersMSLights (I don't have enough posts to insert pics here). I included a stack of 21 quarters as a control if anyone wants to check my scale.

mtbr member
    Just did another night ride last night, and have to say that the MJ-872 is one amazing light. It's ridiculously bright on high, on 70% it's as bright as my MJ-808, and is still plenty bright for medium speeds on 50%. The lowest setting is perfect for slow climbs, and conserves battery life.

Rode some really fast technical descents with tight corners and lots of brush, and never felt the need to slow down. Going from running two MJ-808's this is a BIG upgrade and totally worth the cost.

singletrack bound
    same here on the MJ-872.....using as a bar light (only light) and I have found that I am comfortable with the 75% setting for most riding and even the 50% setting for a tad slower stuff. Don't really need to us the 100% setting if at all! One bright light......
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    It looks like you would need to put paste between the smooth body and the heatsink where they slide together. That can't be a very tight fit, plus two layers of anodizing?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    It looks like you would need to put paste between the smooth body and the heatsink where they slide together. That can't be a very tight fit, plus two layers of anodizing?
    The separate heat sink section is a weak point by my way of thinking. They should have just made it out of one piece and machined the fins like the front section. The problem with consumers attempting to apply a thermal compound is that the heat sink can't be removed without desoldering the power cord.

With that said....I still like my MJ-872 very much.

Village Dirtbag
    I got my 856 yesterday and had it on the trail within hours. Awesome! It's not much bigger than my 808, but DAMN does it blast out a lot of light. Low is fine for climbing, and 50-75 are fine most of the time. 100 is just blazing. The beam is so wide and bright that this could be an only light, even mounted on the bar. I had lent out my 808, so I had a MiNewt on my head and I could barely tell the thing was on.

I'd shut it off while stopped to save battery, but it never got warm to the touch. It was cool out though- maybe mid/low 40's. I ran it stationary on a table for 15 minutes when I got home and it got a bit toasty, but not too much warmer than my 808- especially considering how much more light it was putting out. It didn't get warm enough to step the power down.

singletrack bound
    Adam
    wanna git Hi?
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well Has anyone had overheating issue with Magicshine MJ-872??

So I ordered my mj-872 on ebay, did some night riding around town at night to test it out first.

First, I noticed the battery indicator showed up 'Blue' instead of 'Green', and didn't last more than an hour(claimed 2hr run time with 100% brightness)

Here comes the real problem.

After about a minute, the light head was overheated and the brightness stepped down to the lower level(75%)
    Please note that I was riding on the road(and It was about 15 degrees Celsius outside, more than enough to keep the light head cool) It stayed at the 75% brightness, and never returned to 100% max-output automatically, and the light head was just too to even touch.

The package was returned for a replacement set after testing it three times. Waiting for the new set to arrive in a day or two.
    I'm just hoping that it was NOT the design flaw since their 14day return policy has passed.

Had anyone had the same overheating issue??

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast