mtbr member

magicshine lights, oring mounts?

im looking at the MagicShine MJ-816, but i keep seeing that it has o-ring mounts. seems like that would flop around and need adjusted on trail rides. anyone have experience with them?

anyone have info on the MagicShine MJ-816? no review for it on these forums
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the 808e and the o-ring mount is plenty sturdy. It comes with a small ring and a large one to fit your bars. I'm more than impressed with the 808e.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    They certainly don't flop around but are a bit front heavy and will shift down some over bumpy terrain. I do a few things when using mine to try and compensate for it:

- Make sure the handlebar area where you are going to mount the light is dust and dirt free
    - Do the same with the o-ring and rubber pad on the light head
    - The o-ring can add some forward/backward tension on the mount and aid in allowing the light to vibrate down. To compensate for this I "pre-load" it with some backward tension after I mount it on the bike. To do this, mount it on the bike and aim it higher than you need it to be for riding. Then twist it gently down to the angle you want. This seems to put some tension on the o-rings and helps keep it from vibrating down. If it is aimed too low, pivot it up really high, and then back down to where you want it.
    - Use a light on your helmet as insurance. It will make your night riding more enjoyable too since you will be able to see into the turns and drops.

**SHAMELESS PLUG**
    One of the design elements we added to the SpokeGrenade SG-1000 is that the mount is centered under the light head so it is balanced on the bar. It still uses o-rings but stays put over rough terrain.
    **END SHAMELESS PLUG**

-Michael

mtbr member
    thanks folks, found a good price on one so im snagging it or an 808.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SrBlanco View Post
    They certainly don't flop around but are a bit front heavy and will shift down some over bumpy terrain. I do a few things when using mine to try and compensate for it:

- Make sure the handlebar area where you are going to mount the light is dust and dirt free
    - Do the same with the o-ring and rubber pad on the light head
    - The o-ring can add some forward/backward tension on the mount and aid in allowing the light to vibrate down. To compensate for this I "pre-load" it with some backward tension after I mount it on the bike. To do this, mount it on the bike and aim it higher than you need it to be for riding. Then twist it gently down to the angle you want. This seems to put some tension on the o-rings and helps keep it from vibrating down. If it is aimed too low, pivot it up really high, and then back down to where you want it.
    - Use a light on your helmet as insurance. It will make your night riding more enjoyable too since you will be able to see into the turns and drops.

**SHAMELESS PLUG**
    One of the design elements we added to the SpokeGrenade SG-1000 is that the mount is centered under the light head so it is balanced on the bar. It still uses o-rings but stays put over rough terrain.
    **END SHAMELESS PLUG**

-Michael
    Preload step works like a charm. been doing this for a while now too. bump

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just picked up one of these lights and it is bright.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Magic Shine Mount

I took an old Nite Rider handlebar mount made it work with the Magic Shine. A small screw held a curved plastic piece to the light head of the MS light. I removed it and then had a light head with a flat surface. There is a small hole in the nite rider mount that was the same pattern as the MS screw. The screw came right up into the bottom of the head unit. I had to remove a bit of the platform to keep the MS power cord from getting crushed. It is rock solid. I have some older bikes with narrower titanium handle bars and the O ring system would always shift around. Prior to this I would wrap some old pieces of inner tube around the bar, which seemed to minimize the slipping.