Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    GeoMan

Magicshine Lights Announcement

To Our Valued Geomangear Customers,

Geomangear temporarily has stopped selling Magicshine lightsets due to our concerns regarding the safety, quality, and performance of Magicshine's lithium-ion battery packs sold by Geomangear between July 2009 and November 2010. We have determined that these Magicshine battery packs do not meet Geomangear's high expectations regarding product safety, quality, and performance. We have notified both the manufacturer of Magicshine lightsets and the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission that Geomangear intends to voluntarily recall all Magicshine battery packs sold by Geomangear.

We are actively working with the Safety Commission, outside engineering consultants, and a new battery pack supplier to evaluate product recall options for our customers. Geomangear will provide recall information and instructions directly to our affected customers after our final corrective action plan has been approved by the Safety Commission.

If you bought a Magicshine lightset from us between June 2009 and November 2010, please discontinue using your lightset until we are able to provide you with an upgraded replacement battery pack or another recall remedy. Despite our best efforts, this process will take some time, and we ask for your patience. You can rest assured that Geomangear has taken, and will continue to take, appropriate steps to protect the safety of our customers, and we will stand behind our products. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and appreciate your continued loyalty and support during this unprecedented situation our company is facing.

Thanks!!
    Geoman
    Geomangear.com

www.geomangear.com
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Thanks!!!
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ouch...that's got to hurt. Thanks for taking care of us.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Nice, keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    yEESH, I was one click away from buying one the day before this happened.....thank gawd i missed out.

Will watch for Geoman in the future though........

mtbr member
    Thank you for being a stand up MTBR retailer. I appreciate it and hope that you continue to search for the best cost to performance lights we can buy.

Boys n girls - this is the responsible thing to do when you feel your product isn't working out.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    any further details on the issue? Is it when charging or using? I for one love my magishine!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ought oh - now I have to tell my wife we can't night ride for a while.....

But Thanks for looking out for us Geoman.....you tell me where to send them and off they go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by elsanto
    any further details on the issue? Is it when charging or using? I for one love my magishine!

Yeah, if its just while charging i'll charge them up on an AFCI breaker outdoors under supervision.

Don't take away the night rides, it just got dark!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks for the update.. i know you suggest to stop using them, but if its my primary light what to do? as was said is the potential problem when charging or when operating the light? i know these things can take time to resolve but i'd prefer to not have to buy another light to use in the interim.

thank you again

ballbuster
    Thanks for looking out for us, Geoman! I for one will buy a replacement pack from you once things get rolling again. I know this must make a big hit on your bottom line, and I think I speak for everybody here that we all appreciate your not putting dollars before people, as is all too common in this world.

Thanks for doing the right thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    GeoMan, thanks for the warning email. I hope this gets worked out quickly and you can get your business back on track.

Unfortunately in 45 minutes I'm meeting my riding buddies and I have to give them a copy of the email and tell them how the lights I convinced them to buy aren't safe to use. And the three of us haven't even had a chance to ride with the new lights.......

mtbr member
    For safety, should we be discharging the batteries all the way?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Lipo batteries do not like a complete discharge. It is best to store them on 70-80% charge. Complete discharge is one of the factors that makes them swell and become dangerous. That is how my $100 rc cells are to be taken care of.

mtbr member
    Ok, so far this is my understanding of safe handling in terms of these battery packs.

• Do not run the battery pack all the way down to zero charge
    • Do not store the battery pack with less than 70% charge. (Is 100% charge ok? Can the pack be charged until the MS charger goes green and then stored? Should we be sure to top the pack off regularly all year long? How long can you leave the pack lying around before you should give it some charge again?)
    • Do not leave the battery pack charging unattended.
    • Store the battery pack in something metal, not in a bag or closet or somewhere that other materials will catch fire if the pack undergoes combustion. (Is it ok to charge the pack in the supplied cloth case with the frame straps, or should it be taken out to charge?)
    • Do not overcharge the battery pack. Keep an eye on it while charging and get it off the charger when it turns green.
    • Do not store in extreme conditions, hot or cold. (Is this at all safety related, or more just for the long life of the cells?)

Anything else? Any misinformation there?

My cycling addiction is peaking and with the time change I got the itch to try night riding. Sadly, this Geomangear situation struck at the same time. I didn't want to spend a lot in case I didn't take to riding at night, so I went with a MS 900 unit from an Ebay retailer who advertises on MTBR as well. I figured once Geoman got a better battery solution, I would go to him for a second light if needed and/or for when my battery pack started to die. I got the impression from the threads that the issue was essentially the packs failing to hold charge after only a season of riding or so.

Now, however, the safety issue is all but confirmed by Geoman. I understand his position in this and not being at liberty to freely give details, but it seems like here on MTBR we have had zero first hand accounts, and one second hand account of this fire hazard. I'd like to be able to use my new purchase that just arrived today, but I guess I'm questioning exactly what the extent of the safety concern is with these batteries. It seems like many have used these without problem, and if some simple precautions can lessen the chances of having a problem, then I will go ahead and use the light for now. Anyone who feels knowledgeable about this subject or LiB's in general, please comment and respond. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Ok, so far this is my understanding of safe handling in terms of these battery packs.

• Do not run the battery pack all the way down to zero charge
    • Do not store the battery pack with less than 70% charge. (Is 100% charge ok? Can the pack be charged until the MS charger goes green and then stored?)
    • Do not leave the battery pack charging unattended.
    • Store the battery pack in something metal, not in a bag or closet or somewhere that other materials will catch fire if the pack undergoes combustion.

Anything else? Any misinformation there?

My cycling addiction is peaking and with the time change I got the itch to try night riding. Sadly, this Geomangear situation struck at the same time. I didn't want to spend a lot in case I didn't take to riding at night, so I went with a MS 900 unit from an Ebay retailer who advertises on MTBR as well. I figured once Geoman got a better battery solution, I would go to him for a second light if needed and/or for when my battery pack started to die. I got the impression from the threads that the issue was essentially the packs failing to hold charge after only a season of riding or so.

Now, however, the safety issue is all but confirmed by Geoman. I understand his position in this and not being at liberty to freely give details, but it seems like here on MTBR we have had zero first hand accounts, and one second hand account of this fire hazard. I'd like to be able to use my new purchase that just arrived today, but I guess I'm questioning exactly what the extent of the safety concern is with these batteries. It seems like many have used these without problem, and if some simple precautions can lessen the chances of having a problem, then I will go ahead and use the light for now. Anyone who feels knowledgeable about this subject or LiB's in general, please comment and respond. Thanks.
    You will have a brighter, safer light if you just trade your MS light in on a Baja Strykr... I just bought one with the trade-up dealio and it's fantastic. Plus they are giving you more on trade-in than if you returned the MS light PLUS geomangear won't have to take any hit on them either.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    You will have a brighter, safer light if you just trade your MS light in on a Baja Strykr... I just bought one with the trade-up dealio and it's fantastic. Plus they are giving you more on trade-in than if you returned the MS light PLUS geomangear won't have to take any hit on them either.
    Well, I didn't get my from Geoman since he had already discontinued. Plus, I have yet to ride a single mile at night, and part of my decision on a MS was that I didn't want to sink too much money (even after discount price levels for the Strykr) into a light set up if I wasn't sure I'd use it enough. I will keep it in mind and hold on to my packaging for sure though.

mtbr member

Troll, Troll,troll, troll, troooooooooollllll!

Please give us you expert proof that the battery pack, which probably uses the same 18650 Li cells as the MS are safer...

Battery pack issues will happen to everyone, Ask Sony about that one, And Dell, Toshiba,Lenovo, and Apple...
    http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2006/09/7858.ars

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Troll, Troll,troll, troll, troooooooooollllll!

Please give us you expert proof that the battery pack, which probably uses the same 18650 Li cells as the MS are safer...

Battery pack issues will happen to everyone, Ask Sony about that one, And Dell, Toshiba,Lenovo, and Apple...
    http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2006/09/7858.ars
    I take offense to that. I post here all the time. A troll will post something just to start a fight. Oh like your post
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    You do seem to have a heck of a lot of posts to be a Baja shill. There was another poster sort of spamming that trade-in deal on the MS threads, but it was only one post per thread so I didn't think it was too bad. Still, I'd like to see if there is any consensus on proper handling precautions since we know human nature will prevail and people will still use their lights until this recall goes through. Also people who ordered from Ebay and DX that won't have the benefit of Geo's recall.

I'm sure Geoman isn't in a position to clarify or specify further and can't give much advice due to liability and all, so we are left to discuss amongst ourselves.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I spend way too much time here and I would have to say that gticlay is a decent guy.
    He does like his Strykr and is very free with recommending it, but he does seem to recommend other lights as well when those lights fit the needs of the OP.

Buy a set from EL34 here on the board. Same emitter, better quality.... way better.
    I'd get a Cygolite. They are pretty darn bulletproof.
    A great option already came up and that's to buy some of EL34's P7 Marwi conversions or an Amoeba. They are both fantastic units from what I've read here.

I was also gonna say I bought a Stryker and it's $200 with the trade in program. I think it might literally be bulletproof

The Cygolite series is pretty darn nice quality. I especially like the tridenX. Extremely well built and solid (but not super heavy).
    Last edited by odtexas; 11-15-2010 at 05:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I take offense to that. I post here all the time. A troll will post something just to start a fight. Oh like your post
    Or baseless unproven statements to further an agenda and get a rise...
    Maybe I should have called you a spammer.
    I guess you have created a new type. A troll spammer. Should we call you a trammer or a Spoller?

GTi's post is a troll post in every sense. It's just not a remedial as others.

mtbr member
    Or baseless unproven statements to further an agenda and get a rise...
    Maybe I should have called you a spammer.
    I guess you have created a new type. A troll spammer. Should we call you a trammer or a Spoller?

GTi's post is a troll post in every sense. It's just not a remedial as others.
    Oh whatever. A lot of your posts are d!ck anyway I've noticed. Wait, let me guess..... you sell them on ebay or here under a different screen name?

Another good option until things are sorted out is the MTE-15 torch from DX. Just got mine in the mail today and it's every bit as bright as the MS light and you can mount it in several ways, including a $2 bar mount.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oh whatever. A lot of your posts are d!ck anyway I've noticed.

Another good option until things are sorted out is the MTE-15 torch from DX. Just got mine in the mail today and it's every bit as bright as the MS light and you can mount it in several ways, including a $2 bar mount.
    "Oh whatever"??? Ha-Ha. I'd be butt hurt too if someone called me out for my trammer (troll+spammer) posts.

Nice back pedal with the "another good option" though

mtbr member
    Recall or no recall- I still have to commute home in the dark during the week. And all I have are the 3 magic shines I bought from Geoman last year. (Part of my commute is in the woods and I've been loving the light).

Thankfully, we haven't heard about too many magic shine battery packs exploding- so I'm just going to be careful and keep fingers crossed until such time as recall is put in place.

mtbr member
    OH and THANKS GEOMANGEAR for the public announcement as well as the email alert I received.

Anyone interested in magicshine alternatives can read GTIclay's new thread, MAGICSHINE ALTERNATIVES. LOL...
    I am sure he will create it any minute now. And with primary research studies proving how reliable his suggestions are.
    Cmon GTi, Step up! Just copy and paste all the posts you have made in the other Magicshine threads. That should get the ball rolling.

mtbr member
    I'd rather you give us a link to ur ms store.

The aggressive way you are personally attacking me is a big flag that you have another motive. Did I steal your girl back in middle school or something? Sorry man.

Notice I didn't bash geoman and actually told him good job? That's because he's done a great job. You are all sour grapes and people were asking what they should do since they need a light.
    "It looks flexy"

Its got what plants crave
    Mine came from The Singletrack Store around November 2009. I will probably just keep an eye on it.. I figure if it hasn't blown up or caught on fire after probably at least 75 charge cycles, it isn't likely to do so now.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    The best way to look at this is everybody's going to get some damn good battery packs I'm sure at this point they will be over-specked to be not only safe but reliable. way to step up to the plate Geo a lot of small company's would have walked on this one. we still have to remember what we are getting for $90 bucks this is going to really sweeten the pie. sure its going to suck waiting and I imagine a few will be using them but just being careful .

And for all the haters hows that for customer service sure there's going to be the whiners that they cant go riding but there are product recalls EVERYDAY sh#t happens, it too bad it is what we need right now to get that after work ride but it is what it is.
    I personally have 6 lights affected by this recall, and have for the past 2 weeks been looking into alternative batteries to get me thru this, and when I get the new recalled batteries I will have a bunch of back up's
    Geo has spoken and we are not in the dark anymore it would be nice if this board could go back to what it is made for and not all the BS the sky is falling sh*t
    Last edited by Rakuman; 11-15-2010 at 07:30 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'll probably regret getting in the middle of this, but I will offer up the information I have based on some testing I did over the past week and a half. First, I want to be clear that I have no way to know of the specific issues that prompted Geoman to stop selling the lights and pursue a recall, I can only comment on what I observed in my testing. I also don't have a vested interest in this situation as I personally use my own lights and I do not offer them for sale.

I have ties to a large local bike club, which includes a fair number of magicshine light users. Based on all the discussion on the forum about magicshine battery issues, I put out a query to the club to find out if many folks were experiencing battery problems. I quickly got a fair number of responses and was "loaned" a number of packs that were experiencing problems.

I opened up the packs and ran them through a couple of cycles while instrumenting the current and voltage of each cell bank. What I found was that the packs were badly out of balance due to what are known as "soft shorts" within the cells. "Soft shorts" cause the cells to self-discharge at a higher rate than normal, which is what throws the pack out of balance. How quickly the pack goes out of balance depend purely on "time" and the extent of the soft short. Number of cycles or how the pack is cared for has little to no effect. This in itself isn't good for the pack, but it doesn't necessarily represent a safety issue. But, I also observed that the protection PCB lets the cells drop down to right below 2V on discharge. That's really below what is safe and can lead to cell damage that can cause a safety issue down the road.

Based on what I found I decided to check a pack that didn't appear to be having obvious problems. I found that this pack was also out of balance, just not enough to be showing such obvious external problems. So these 2 issues are likely interacting with each other. Normally, the protection PCB should only stop charge or discharge in fairly rare cases as a last ditch safety protection. But in the case of the magicshine packs, the protection PCB is having to shutdown the charge / discharge on a large percentage of packs and is doing so on almost every charge cycle and many of the discharge cycles. That has two implications; first it means that even a few rare failures of the protection PCB have a much higher chance that normal of causing a safety issue with the pack. Second, it means the voltage thresholds for the protection PCB really need to be spot on and that doesn't appear to be true.

The net is there really isn't anything the end user can do to in terms of how they care for or use the pack to guarantee that a problem won't occur. I say guarantee because, it's true that having an actual problem is probably somewhat rare. But on the other hand, these kinds of actions don't usually happen if there hasn't been some kind of real world problem. The engineer in me would say, follow the advice and stop using the packs. The mountain biker in me says, a lot of folks are going to keep using them, my advice is be really careful where you charge and store them. Problems are more likely while they are charging but can happen at any time.

mtbr member
    I'd rather you give us a link to ur ms store.

The aggressive way you are personally attacking me is a big flag that you have another motive. Did I steal your girl back in middle school or something? Sorry man.

Notice I didn't bash geoman and actually told him good job? That's because he's done a great job. You are all sour grapes and people were asking what they should do since they need a light.
    Ooohhh you got me... Why is is that in just about every magicshine thread you have a post or 2 suggesting an alternative and nothing else? Hmmmm! I wonder?
    And you suggest and deflect that I sell Magicshines? Embarrasing! Let's see, you have many posts touting other lights especially the Stryker models and I have suggested none.
    Even a 10yr old can figure that one out!

Oh and I am waiting for the proof that your suggestions are more reliable than Magicshines. Waiting as always as you deflect...

trail rat
    I've got two MS lights, hope this gets resolved soon.

And can the juveniles take their pissing match offline? Thanks.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus

I concur.

I think I have a "good one" over here, though I dont use it as much as some do.
    I'll be in line for an upgraded light system when and if...

GeoMan
    Hi Jim, you will be included with the GeoManGear recall we have obtained customer info for The Singletrack Store customers already. Notification will go out to STS customers shortly via US Safety Commission

Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Mine came from The Singletrack Store around November 2009. I will probably just keep an eye on it.. I figure if it hasn't blown up or caught on fire after probably at least 75 charge cycles, it isn't likely to do so now.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Dirt Deviant
    Thanks again Geoman.
    I now understand why you weren't replying to any threads here on the forums.
    I knew that when you did, it would be big.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Ooohhh you got me... Why is is that in just about every magicshine thread you have a post or 2 suggesting an alternative and nothing else? Hmmmm! I wonder?
    And you suggest and deflect that I sell Magicshines? Embarrasing! Let's see, you have many posts touting other lights especially the Stryker models and I have suggested none.
    Even a 10yr old can figure that one out!

Oh and I am waiting for the proof that your suggestions are more reliable than Magicshines. Waiting as always as you deflect...
    How about this:

My TridenX is going strong for over a year. I've used this light more than any of the others...... maybe 150 charges? It kicks butt. Since it's past warranty, I'm gonna mod it with XML LED's (look at my posts in the DIY).

:P - And that's in a pre-school, immature way
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus

I assume you mean me and someone else. I apologize. But I have to defend myself because, well, I'm me and I do that. Sorry. No more posts here after this no matter what anyone says about "gticlay". Again, sorry slocaus.
    "It looks flexy"

GeoMan
    Thanks for the support, the GeoManGear team looks forward to getting this taken care of as quickly as possible

Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Thanks again Geoman.
    I now understand why you weren't replying to any threads here on the forums.
    I knew that when you did, it would be big.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I purchased my light about a year ago. I haven't received any email yet.

Will all customers be contacted directly?

mtbr member
    Wow i got mine a couple of weeks ago and i haven't got my email yet either, patience my friend He just announced today that's a big database to he has to get back to.
    Sorry I'm just having a little fun but don't worry Geo seems to have this one under control.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow!! GEO, that is way above and beyond the call. I too bought one from GEO and the Singletrack store.

Guess I better dig up the reciepts.

Again GEO, this is above and beyond.

Thx

MB

used to be RipRoar
    I truly hope GM will get this straightened out but I am certainly not going to hold my breath waiting for the manufacturer to come clean. Even with the cost of a known "safe" battery pack from many of the places already posted its still a good deal.

Cant wait to buy another MS head on ebay as the prices plummet...
    Last edited by TraxFactory; 11-16-2010 at 12:57 AM.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Thanks GEOMAN

Thanks for the e-mail I recieved today. I have two MS900 that purchased this summer and I can't say they've been problematic, but I will not use them just the same.

Could you give us an idea how long this might take to get suitable replacement packs?

It's really too bad that this is happened and I wish you the best of luck in getting this resolved as quickly as possible. I predict if your company handles this well and in a timely manner you will gain countless numbers of additional sales. A crisis can turn into a blessing if managed properly.

Again, good luck and I'm look forward to your response.

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich - Hobo Jim

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Appreciate the update

Thanks Geoman, take care of what needs doing. The dust will eventually settle. Those who know do realise its the manufacturer's source of the problem. Good luck!

mtbr member
    To make sure I understand (and this is NOT a complaint)....
    the sudden total battery failure I experienced about 3 weeks ago will not be subject to recall as I bought prior to June 2009?
    Again, not a complaint, just want to make sure before I spend $ at Batteries Plus...been getting by fine with other MS unit and old L&M halogens that get about 45min to an hour out of their batteries....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Thanks for the support, the GeoManGear team looks forward to getting this taken care of as quickly as possible
    Geoman,

I purchased the MJ-812 Magicshine flashlight (single 18650 cell) from you last year and have used it far more than my Magicshine bike light with battery back. Apparently, you no longer sell this light.

I use this light with the original battery as well as Trustfire 2400 mah cells with PCB circuitry. Is it safe to continue using this light? Thanks

Bob

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    It looks as if there have been a few people wondering what the specifics of the recall entails. If it's a safety issue I hope we can get some more information. If it's a performance issue I can suck it up.
    Please inform us of any safety risks. It would much appreciated so we at least have some sort of clue as to what is going on/

GeoMan
    Hi Mike
    GeoManGear was not retailing Magicshine lightsets prior to June 2009 you may simply be mistaken about the date. The recall covers every Magicshine battery that GeoManGear has ever distributed. Did you purchase directly from China prior to June 2009? We plan to make sure every GeoManGear customer is taken care of, you can email us directly contact@geomangear.com to make sure you are on our list

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    To make sure I understand (and this is NOT a complaint)....
    the sudden total battery failure I experienced about 3 weeks ago will not be subject to recall as I bought prior to June 2009?
    Again, not a complaint, just want to make sure before I spend $ at Batteries Plus...been getting by fine with other MS unit and old L&M halogens that get about 45min to an hour out of their batteries....
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Thanks for the support Chromag, we are working hard to take care of all of our friends and understand with the days getting shorter that the timing is terrible but safety comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    Thanks Geoman, take care of what needs doing. The dust will eventually settle. Those who know do realise its the manufacturer's source of the problem. Good luck!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    The US Safety Commission is reviewing all of the info that has been provided, we are unable to confirm specifics at this point, we must wait for their direction. The fact that we have announced a voluntary recall on every Magicshine battery we distributed, recommended temporarily discontinuing using the lightsets with the Magicshine battery and involved the US Safety Commission should give you a pretty good idea of where we stand. Safety first, store your batteries outside until we can replace them with a completely different battery pack. Please mention this to anyone you know who has a Magicshine lightset.

Quote Originally Posted by my51isfast
    It looks as if there have been a few people wondering what the specifics of the recall entails. If it's a safety issue I hope we can get some more information. If it's a performance issue I can suck it up.
    Please inform us of any safety risks. It would much appreciated so we at least have some sort of clue as to what is going on/
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast