Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    GeoMan

Magicshine Lights Announcement

To Our Valued Geomangear Customers,

Geomangear temporarily has stopped selling Magicshine lightsets due to our concerns regarding the safety, quality, and performance of Magicshine's lithium-ion battery packs sold by Geomangear between July 2009 and November 2010. We have determined that these Magicshine battery packs do not meet Geomangear's high expectations regarding product safety, quality, and performance. We have notified both the manufacturer of Magicshine lightsets and the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission that Geomangear intends to voluntarily recall all Magicshine battery packs sold by Geomangear.

We are actively working with the Safety Commission, outside engineering consultants, and a new battery pack supplier to evaluate product recall options for our customers. Geomangear will provide recall information and instructions directly to our affected customers after our final corrective action plan has been approved by the Safety Commission.

If you bought a Magicshine lightset from us between June 2009 and November 2010, please discontinue using your lightset until we are able to provide you with an upgraded replacement battery pack or another recall remedy. Despite our best efforts, this process will take some time, and we ask for your patience. You can rest assured that Geomangear has taken, and will continue to take, appropriate steps to protect the safety of our customers, and we will stand behind our products. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and appreciate your continued loyalty and support during this unprecedented situation our company is facing.

Thanks!!
    Geoman
    Geomangear.com

www.geomangear.com
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Thanks!!!
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ouch...that's got to hurt. Thanks for taking care of us.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Nice, keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    yEESH, I was one click away from buying one the day before this happened.....thank gawd i missed out.

Will watch for Geoman in the future though........

mtbr member
    Thank you for being a stand up MTBR retailer. I appreciate it and hope that you continue to search for the best cost to performance lights we can buy.

Boys n girls - this is the responsible thing to do when you feel your product isn't working out.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    any further details on the issue? Is it when charging or using? I for one love my magishine!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ought oh - now I have to tell my wife we can't night ride for a while.....

But Thanks for looking out for us Geoman.....you tell me where to send them and off they go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by elsanto
    any further details on the issue? Is it when charging or using? I for one love my magishine!

Yeah, if its just while charging i'll charge them up on an AFCI breaker outdoors under supervision.

Don't take away the night rides, it just got dark!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks for the update.. i know you suggest to stop using them, but if its my primary light what to do? as was said is the potential problem when charging or when operating the light? i know these things can take time to resolve but i'd prefer to not have to buy another light to use in the interim.

thank you again

ballbuster
    Thanks for looking out for us, Geoman! I for one will buy a replacement pack from you once things get rolling again. I know this must make a big hit on your bottom line, and I think I speak for everybody here that we all appreciate your not putting dollars before people, as is all too common in this world.

Thanks for doing the right thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    GeoMan, thanks for the warning email. I hope this gets worked out quickly and you can get your business back on track.

Unfortunately in 45 minutes I'm meeting my riding buddies and I have to give them a copy of the email and tell them how the lights I convinced them to buy aren't safe to use. And the three of us haven't even had a chance to ride with the new lights.......

mtbr member
    For safety, should we be discharging the batteries all the way?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Lipo batteries do not like a complete discharge. It is best to store them on 70-80% charge. Complete discharge is one of the factors that makes them swell and become dangerous. That is how my $100 rc cells are to be taken care of.

mtbr member
    Ok, so far this is my understanding of safe handling in terms of these battery packs.

• Do not run the battery pack all the way down to zero charge
    • Do not store the battery pack with less than 70% charge. (Is 100% charge ok? Can the pack be charged until the MS charger goes green and then stored? Should we be sure to top the pack off regularly all year long? How long can you leave the pack lying around before you should give it some charge again?)
    • Do not leave the battery pack charging unattended.
    • Store the battery pack in something metal, not in a bag or closet or somewhere that other materials will catch fire if the pack undergoes combustion. (Is it ok to charge the pack in the supplied cloth case with the frame straps, or should it be taken out to charge?)
    • Do not overcharge the battery pack. Keep an eye on it while charging and get it off the charger when it turns green.
    • Do not store in extreme conditions, hot or cold. (Is this at all safety related, or more just for the long life of the cells?)

Anything else? Any misinformation there?

My cycling addiction is peaking and with the time change I got the itch to try night riding. Sadly, this Geomangear situation struck at the same time. I didn't want to spend a lot in case I didn't take to riding at night, so I went with a MS 900 unit from an Ebay retailer who advertises on MTBR as well. I figured once Geoman got a better battery solution, I would go to him for a second light if needed and/or for when my battery pack started to die. I got the impression from the threads that the issue was essentially the packs failing to hold charge after only a season of riding or so.

Now, however, the safety issue is all but confirmed by Geoman. I understand his position in this and not being at liberty to freely give details, but it seems like here on MTBR we have had zero first hand accounts, and one second hand account of this fire hazard. I'd like to be able to use my new purchase that just arrived today, but I guess I'm questioning exactly what the extent of the safety concern is with these batteries. It seems like many have used these without problem, and if some simple precautions can lessen the chances of having a problem, then I will go ahead and use the light for now. Anyone who feels knowledgeable about this subject or LiB's in general, please comment and respond. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Ok, so far this is my understanding of safe handling in terms of these battery packs.

• Do not run the battery pack all the way down to zero charge
    • Do not store the battery pack with less than 70% charge. (Is 100% charge ok? Can the pack be charged until the MS charger goes green and then stored?)
    • Do not leave the battery pack charging unattended.
    • Store the battery pack in something metal, not in a bag or closet or somewhere that other materials will catch fire if the pack undergoes combustion.

Anything else? Any misinformation there?

My cycling addiction is peaking and with the time change I got the itch to try night riding. Sadly, this Geomangear situation struck at the same time. I didn't want to spend a lot in case I didn't take to riding at night, so I went with a MS 900 unit from an Ebay retailer who advertises on MTBR as well. I figured once Geoman got a better battery solution, I would go to him for a second light if needed and/or for when my battery pack started to die. I got the impression from the threads that the issue was essentially the packs failing to hold charge after only a season of riding or so.

Now, however, the safety issue is all but confirmed by Geoman. I understand his position in this and not being at liberty to freely give details, but it seems like here on MTBR we have had zero first hand accounts, and one second hand account of this fire hazard. I'd like to be able to use my new purchase that just arrived today, but I guess I'm questioning exactly what the extent of the safety concern is with these batteries. It seems like many have used these without problem, and if some simple precautions can lessen the chances of having a problem, then I will go ahead and use the light for now. Anyone who feels knowledgeable about this subject or LiB's in general, please comment and respond. Thanks.
    You will have a brighter, safer light if you just trade your MS light in on a Baja Strykr... I just bought one with the trade-up dealio and it's fantastic. Plus they are giving you more on trade-in than if you returned the MS light PLUS geomangear won't have to take any hit on them either.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    You will have a brighter, safer light if you just trade your MS light in on a Baja Strykr... I just bought one with the trade-up dealio and it's fantastic. Plus they are giving you more on trade-in than if you returned the MS light PLUS geomangear won't have to take any hit on them either.
    Well, I didn't get my from Geoman since he had already discontinued. Plus, I have yet to ride a single mile at night, and part of my decision on a MS was that I didn't want to sink too much money (even after discount price levels for the Strykr) into a light set up if I wasn't sure I'd use it enough. I will keep it in mind and hold on to my packaging for sure though.

mtbr member

Troll, Troll,troll, troll, troooooooooollllll!

Please give us you expert proof that the battery pack, which probably uses the same 18650 Li cells as the MS are safer...

Battery pack issues will happen to everyone, Ask Sony about that one, And Dell, Toshiba,Lenovo, and Apple...
    http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2006/09/7858.ars

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Troll, Troll,troll, troll, troooooooooollllll!

Please give us you expert proof that the battery pack, which probably uses the same 18650 Li cells as the MS are safer...

Battery pack issues will happen to everyone, Ask Sony about that one, And Dell, Toshiba,Lenovo, and Apple...
    http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2006/09/7858.ars
    I take offense to that. I post here all the time. A troll will post something just to start a fight. Oh like your post
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    You do seem to have a heck of a lot of posts to be a Baja shill. There was another poster sort of spamming that trade-in deal on the MS threads, but it was only one post per thread so I didn't think it was too bad. Still, I'd like to see if there is any consensus on proper handling precautions since we know human nature will prevail and people will still use their lights until this recall goes through. Also people who ordered from Ebay and DX that won't have the benefit of Geo's recall.

I'm sure Geoman isn't in a position to clarify or specify further and can't give much advice due to liability and all, so we are left to discuss amongst ourselves.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I spend way too much time here and I would have to say that gticlay is a decent guy.
    He does like his Strykr and is very free with recommending it, but he does seem to recommend other lights as well when those lights fit the needs of the OP.

Buy a set from EL34 here on the board. Same emitter, better quality.... way better.
    I'd get a Cygolite. They are pretty darn bulletproof.
    A great option already came up and that's to buy some of EL34's P7 Marwi conversions or an Amoeba. They are both fantastic units from what I've read here.

I was also gonna say I bought a Stryker and it's $200 with the trade in program. I think it might literally be bulletproof

The Cygolite series is pretty darn nice quality. I especially like the tridenX. Extremely well built and solid (but not super heavy).
    Last edited by odtexas; 11-15-2010 at 06:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I take offense to that. I post here all the time. A troll will post something just to start a fight. Oh like your post
    Or baseless unproven statements to further an agenda and get a rise...
    Maybe I should have called you a spammer.
    I guess you have created a new type. A troll spammer. Should we call you a trammer or a Spoller?

GTi's post is a troll post in every sense. It's just not a remedial as others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Or baseless unproven statements to further an agenda and get a rise...
    Maybe I should have called you a spammer.
    I guess you have created a new type. A troll spammer. Should we call you a trammer or a Spoller?

GTi's post is a troll post in every sense. It's just not a remedial as others.
    Oh whatever. A lot of your posts are d!ck anyway I've noticed. Wait, let me guess..... you sell them on ebay or here under a different screen name?

Another good option until things are sorted out is the MTE-15 torch from DX. Just got mine in the mail today and it's every bit as bright as the MS light and you can mount it in several ways, including a $2 bar mount.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oh whatever. A lot of your posts are d!ck anyway I've noticed.

Another good option until things are sorted out is the MTE-15 torch from DX. Just got mine in the mail today and it's every bit as bright as the MS light and you can mount it in several ways, including a $2 bar mount.
    "Oh whatever"??? Ha-Ha. I'd be butt hurt too if someone called me out for my trammer (troll+spammer) posts.

Nice back pedal with the "another good option" though

mtbr member
    Recall or no recall- I still have to commute home in the dark during the week. And all I have are the 3 magic shines I bought from Geoman last year. (Part of my commute is in the woods and I've been loving the light).

Thankfully, we haven't heard about too many magic shine battery packs exploding- so I'm just going to be careful and keep fingers crossed until such time as recall is put in place.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast